The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 elise with the 175 in the front NOT the 195.

I need to replace all 4 of them but im confused on what will actually fit on the front rims??

what size and kind of tire should i buy?
will the 195 fit on the front rims?
will the 205 fit on the front rims?

It is only driven in good weather... almost no rain.. never snow..
It is NEVER driven on the track..
It is driven up in the mountains about 8-9 time a year and tossed around..
(fun fun fun)

I drive the car 2-3 times a week around town..
I do want performance out of the tires but I also need something that will last.

??

·
Supporting Vendor
139 Posts
Our system shows both the 195/50R-16 or 205/50R-16 will fit the front of your vehicle.

Give us a call at 1-888-459-4080. Our first available agent will be happy to assist you.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you have the base wheels, the 195's work fine.
I have Kumho asx's on my car (195's front, 235's rear) and have no problems/complaints. These are good tires that will offer traction in a WIDE temperature range. You will give up some traction on hot days to some tires you could buy, but will gain back much more in cooler weather (40-50). For my mountain fun, at or near legal (sane) speeds, I have never had a grip issue. If you go to the track you will probably want more.

The tire get good mileage.

I have heard that 205's work, but not always.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
205/50/16 star specs will fit on your fronts - if you have base suspension, base wheels. It's what i have, very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Stock front wheels are 5.5 inches wide, LSS front wheels are 6.5 inches wide. The specs on most 205 width tires specify a wheel which is 6.5 to 7.5 inches wide. Can a 205 width tire get mounted on a 5.5 inch wheel? Yes, it will mount, but, (according to different manufacturers) it is not an ideal fit. The tire will tend to want to bulge in the middle, although you can somewhat compensate by reducing tire pressure. Consider a 195 width wheel for your fronts, or upgrade to a wider wheel to properly support a 205 width tire. I do run 205s on the front, but my front wheels are 7 inches wide.
205/45R16 width tires which I looked up recommended wheel width spec:
Toyo R1R, 6.5 to 7.5 inch
Dunlop Direzza dz101, 6.5 to 7.5 inch
Continental Extreme Contact DW, 6.5 to 7.5 inch
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, 6.5 to 7.5 inch

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Nag,

The tires you need are the Yokohama S-Drive's, they're the best street bang-for-the-buck tires made for the Elise/Exige. The sizes you need are as follows...

F: 175/50/16
R: 225/45/17

The front tire is 2 lbs lighter per corner, and .6" shorter in overall OD, which will make your turn-in more crisp. The rear tire is 1 lb lighter, and nearly identical in all other specs. You'll also get decreased wear with this tire, as it's 300 AA instead of 180 AA.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention one little tid-bit, a full set of the AD07's will set you back $1,192.00 + shipping, whereas the S-Drive will cost a whopping $452 + shipping!

Not only does this tire fit better than the AD07, it's lighter, will have better initial turn-in, and will cost less than half the price of the stock tire. And yes, for everyone reading this, the AD07 is the superior tire in some ways, but for what most people USE on the street, there is no possible way to beat the S-Drive.

Any questions?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
205/50/16 Star-Spec: 4 lbs heavier, and .6" taller than stock
245/45/17 Star-Spec: 3 lbs heavier, and .8" taller than stock

The Star-Spec is a fine tire, but they don't fit the car.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

I think i get your point - BUT - everyone of the folks in our Elige world that are running the Specs - on base wheels - are having no problems. Mine fit, and to tell you the truth, where I live, I need the additional .6 inches of height when driving NH's roads. (picture a 4x4 Elise :)) Lowering the car from stock is not an option. My car is much more comfortable than stock too - the tires soak up some bumps. This increase in ride comfort is extremely noticeable) (Can't wait until i pad the seats!)
Weight? For me not so important, but i can get it all back (and more) by pulling my oil coolers and lines. (this winter). That said, I have a new set of OEM 07's mounted/balanced on a second set of wheels for when the "hot months" start up here.(July/August) Before I got educated in replacing our tires, I was actually stupid enough to go out and pay that money. Never again. Mine is just a sweet little road car. I love my Specs, and yes they do bulge, and really stuff the wheel well full, and look so bad @ss up front. And every tire manufacurer says they are a fit on 5.5" wheels. No rubbing either. That said, I'd like to swap cars for an a/b comparison for comfort & handling. Your smaller tires up front might edge me out on the handling. But not enough to get me to give up the comfort I'm getting with these big pillows.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

Do you have a warehouse full of S-drive your pimping?
S-Drive does not fit the car either, tread compound is too hard, side walls are too soft. They Tromp the road, they get really noisy with miles... and not that many, they require a ton of weights to get them balanced, so... you get what you pay for....They are a cheap passenger car tire....period

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I think i get your point - BUT - everyone of the folks in our Elige world that are running the Specs - on base wheels - are having no problems. Mine fit, and to tell you the truth, where I live, I need the additional .6 inches of height when driving NH's roads. (picture a 4x4 Elise :)) Lowering the car from stock is not an option. My car is much more comfortable than stock too - the tires soak up some bumps. This increase in ride comfort is extremely noticeable) (Can't wait until i pad the seats!)
Weight? For me not so important, but i can get it all back (and more) by pulling my oil coolers and lines. (this winter).
I hear you, but the OP said nothing about these things, so your tire choice isn't going to be be the best choice for him necessarily.

S-Drive does not fit the car either, tread compound is too hard, side walls are too soft. They Tromp the road, they get really noisy with miles... and not that many, they require a ton of weights to get them balanced, so... you get what you pay for....They are a cheap passenger car tire....period
You're confused, but I'll let you remain so, and pay a lot for your ignorance. This is not a slam, I'm just pointing out the fact. The S-Drive is the best Summer tire for this car, all things considered, I have been running mine for 3 years with none of the issues you mention.

Nag: The thing to take away from this discussion is application. Just about any tire can work for you, but some will work better for your application than others, and it's ultimately up to you to decide.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If they didn't fit the car, how do you figure I am running them on my car? :p You make it sound like I'm running 44" tractor tires on the car or something?! They are SLIGHTLY larger than stock!

Of course they are heavier, they are a wider tire. If your the type of person that is obsessed over a few lbs maybe they aren't for you. I didn't really care about 10lbs difference given how much better than are than the stock tires.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
If they didn't fit the car, how do you figure I am running them on my car? :p

Of course they are heavier, they are a wider tire. If your the type of person that is obsessed over a few lbs maybe they aren't for you. I didn't really care about 10lbs difference given how much better than are than the stock tires.
They fit, they're just not the best fit. I also believe it's more than a few pounds, given that its unsprung weight being added. Lastly, they're only superior to stock for a given application, in normal road use you might never notice the difference, especially if you're the sort that doesn't "obsess over a few lbs".

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As in "service writer" or "tire tech"? I've been both of those, and I'm also an ASE certified mechanic in both automotive and heavy equipment/diesel. (yeah, I just one upped you bitch!) :D

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
As in "service writer" or "tire tech"? I've been both of those, and I'm also an ASE certified mechanic in both automotive and heavy equipment/diesel. (yeah, I just one upped you bitch!) :D
:no:

Hyundai, production/roll-out division, Parts Manager Honda Motor Co, and ASE certified mechanic. You didn't one-up anything, bitch! lol

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
wrong size or not, the starspecs will give much higher dry performance than the s-drives (for lss sized wheels).

Honestly if I had the base wheels I would consider finding a set of wheels with more reasonbly sized fronts. It will save headaches and give you incresed performance. No need for anything too fany, rotas will do.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
wrong size or not, the starspecs will give much higher dry performance than the s-drives (for lss sized wheels).

Honestly if I had the base wheels I would consider finding a set of wheels with more reasonbly sized fronts. It will save headaches and give you incresed performance. No need for anything too fany, rotas will do.
My question is always about the need. Sure, the Star-Spec is a superior tire, but how much of a need is it for a street car? Remember, this is a street-tire thread. Same with wider wheels, no need for a wider tire that will have less understeer for a street car.

And Rota's :huh:. To each their own I suppose.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
rotas of lss size will have better performance (lap time autocross etc) than forged magnesium bbs motorsports wheels in base wheel size.

Sure you dont need max grip for the street. However, pretty much the only thing a lotus is great at is handling, so I cant see a decent reason to compromise on that aspect.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts