The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching a while and dont really have much to find in the exact question I have.

I am thinking of buying one of the two sets below. I have used the Potenzas before on my Seven. I liked the tire. But the cost of the Kumhos...well they give me pause.

Any thoughts?

Kumho Ecsta ASX (Ultra High Performance All-Season) Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Test Results | Survey Results

Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Front: 195/50-16
ZR Speed Rated
Price: $68.00 (each)

$67.00

Estimated Availability: In Stock
Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $8.04 per tire
Front: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Rear: 225/45-17

ZR Speed Rated
Price: $91.00 (each)

Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $10.92 per tire

or

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R (Extreme Performance Summer)

205/45-16
ZR Speed Rated
Price: $150.00 (each)

Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $18.00 per tire
Qty: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R (Extreme Performance Summer)

245/40-17
ZR Speed Rated
Price: $205.00 (each)

Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $24.60 per tire

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a set of RE01-R's for street use with my Elise and really like them.

I also have a set on my wife's Saab 9-3 turbo and they work really well on there too.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You can't even compare those tires, one is an all season that is as far away from performance minded and the other is a competitive SCCA autocross street tire class tire. If you need this set to go 30,000 miles then get the ASX but drive very carefully and if you want to have fun with very high levels of grip and don't mind 6000 miles out of the rears get the RE-01R.

If you just want to drive on the street and get a little better wear but don't want to compromise that much grip I would suggest something like a more aggressive all season or milder summer tire like the Kumho SPT or Toyo T1R. They do great in rain and will last about 75% as long as the ASX with much more dry grip.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The Falken 615 seems to be a popular tire choice in the summer performance catagory too.

xtn

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
First thing to ask yourself with just about every mod is how do you want to use the car?

The more dedicated you are to that answer, the easier it is to come up with the correct modification / part.

Where you start to say stuff like street car with track days once every other month, you start to have to start compromising on items like tires and suspension.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have the ASX on one set of rims and the RE-01R's on another. The ASX is a very good all purpose street tire; inexpensive with good wear. THe RE-01R is a great track/autocross street tire. Just depends what you intend to use the car for and how hard you drive.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I replaced my Yokos with Goodyear F1 GS-D3s and was more than pleased. They gave up little in dry performance to the Yokos and destroyed them in the wet and were less pricy to boot. You just need to compensate for a less-stiff sidewall with about 3 psi extra tire pressure.

Amongst the ones you listed, I'd do the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use the Bridgestones on my Elise and have gotten good wear out of them on the street. I have about 8,000 miles on the set and still have about 1/2 tread left. They are much quieter on the street than the AO48s, but lack much of the on-center response. Wet weather performance is solid and the car is not very twitchy.

Overall I think they are a good choice for daily driving, but I would not personally use them at the track. Since I don't really track my car it has not been a problem, but if I were going to, I would get a different set of wheels and for Yokos or Hoosiers.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts