The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Searched for tire threads and i'm getting more and MORE curious on WHY my REAR tires go so quick!?!?

My car is a 2007 Exige S and have always used A048 LTS. My last set of LTS did 3000km only (without swapping the tires left <-> right) and for my current set i swapped my rear tires Left <-> Right last week and i can already predict this set can only last for 5000km tops.

My Location is in HK and its now getting warmer but when when i got my current set brand new back in November the climate was a bit cold. I only street use my car and never tracked. I drive my car almost daily and now...

1) Does there seem to be a problem?
2) What other economical tires do you guys propose that provides almost the same grip?
3) Or....i don't need to have the same amount of super grip but at least wayyyyy more economical and a fair amount of grip that is safe enough becox these baby don't come cheap and on my current set of LTS, i REALLY hardly pushed the car like i used to when i first got it.

THANKS AND WILL REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP..and here is a pic of my last set of tires lol...

the one on top is the right rear tire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
check the toe setting. I bought mine last may with brand new tires on it, did about 500km in 2 days, and the centers of mine had no tread left. Turns out the car has an inch of toe out! I reset the toe to 1/16 in, (and nursed the tires to about 4000km that way) and a couple weeks ago I checked the alignment and I had 5/16 toe in. My car doesnt seem to hold its rear toe setting. And it sounds like yours may not either! Good luck!

Beecher

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello,

I had the same problems, 3 set in 10k km.... The problem was the wrong alignment done at the dealer....

Now it's resolved (by another shop) and as I use my Exiges as a daily driver, I put a Continental Etremcontact DW) they are good on dry but a way better under the rain than the OEM tires...

Good luck!

JF

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
What do other folks get out of a set of rears?
Let's say without track?
Then, occasional track?
Is 7,000 miles reasonable?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
What do other folks get out of a set of rears?
Let's say without track?
Then, occasional track?
Is 7,000 miles reasonable?
Untracked - about 10.000 km. At least that is what I got out of my last set.
Occasional track - hard to say since there are far, far too many variables.

Those tires look like they have been run with too high tire pressure, at least to me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would agree pressure looks like an issue. If the 26F and 29R is giving you dramas, try backing down to 24F and 26R.

Doesn't help that A048's are an absolutely freaking useless tyre. I haven't looked back since R888's. Better in EVERY way.

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with my last set in the above picture, i was running F19 and R20...and it grip was absolutely awesome...but for my current set i've always been using F22 and R24...and since last week i'm now on F24 R26. i just hope my current set can last for another 2500km:(
I would agree pressure looks like an issue. If the 26F and 29R is giving you dramas, try backing down to 24F and 26R.

Doesn't help that A048's are an absolutely freaking useless tyre. I haven't looked back since R888's. Better in EVERY way.
Thanks btotheje, what's the word on R888? for me i need to "special order" these and ive been told they are just as good in both dry and wet and they last much longer....:huh:

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your kind replies. and BTW, my fronts are still good as ever since the car came and was never replaced. Weird...:confused:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Untracked - about 10.000 km. At least that is what I got out of my last set.
Occasional track - hard to say since there are far, far too many variables.

Those tires look like they have been run with too high tire pressure, at least to me.
Thanks, looks like I'll squeeze 11,000km out of rear. front are fine.
Agree on pressure, the centers are wearing first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well, once i caught mine almost bald in the center, i think i squeezed about 4000 ish km out of them. I bought new when they corded. On the new set (which are hankook rs3) ive got about 10k km, and they have only got thre 1/8inch of tread or so. I ran Nitto nt01 on my mini for a year, did 4 track full days, and and did 20k km on the street. and even then, they corded on the edge from tire roll (center of tire still had half the tread, and thos tires are only treaded for half their life). So, depending on your "idea" of street driving, 20k km should be do able on the rears? My fronts are at 15k km and still look new. YMMV

·
Registered
47 Posts
and pressures that low? even on the street? im used to running high pressures in my mini (32/36 for street) and about 28 in the Rs on the track, was shocked the other day when i seen the 26/29. It was kind of hard to put it that low lol. I always have a thought that my tires are underinflated. that said, it drives nicer now (was at 29/32 after it sat for the winter). I would like a smaller sidewall in the front tire, but would need adjustable coilovers for that.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Huge +1 on the R888. I run them at stock pressures on the street (26F/29R) and start a little lower at the track.

I have ~6000 km on mine with 5 track days and they still have some life left:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Dom, go check and set alignment with factory setting and run 22F 26R. Mine only for Sunday Morning Drive and managed to have over 7000km.

But everytime you get in your car you become Senna :D

Dom you do need all the grips that you can get in the world, so I don't have to start another thread with RIP in the header.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts