The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an aftermarket seat for my Elise, so I asked Dave Levy of Cedar Ridge Fabrication/TiCycles to fabricate a new sub-strap solution for me. He's the same guy who did my original sub-bar which bolted to my stock seat. He's also the same guy who fabricated my two-piece brake rotors (which got sold via a Group Buy last year but are now being sold at full price through Dave's normal channels). Dave's big in the NSX world -- on NSXPrime, he's "Titanium Dave" (that's his name on EliseTalk, but he doesn't spend much time on this forum). For what it's worth, I have been very happy with everything he's fabricated for me.

Here's is what he came up with after studying the Lotus Motorsports solution which involves a simple bracket that bolts through the floor pan and through a backing plate just aft of the structual cross-member into which the front seat rails bolt. Dave's approach adds an additional layer of safety by extending the bar to the underneath the seat rails, thereby spreading the load more broadly. Note that the bolts currently threaded into the front seat-rail holes were simply used to hold the part in place while I secured the part. Now that the part's mounted, I will remove them. The seat rails will sit on top of the part and will bolt in place using the stock bolts and holes.

Note that I have no stake in this -- I'm just a happy customer (and friend) of Dave's -- but I thought I would post to let other track-folks know about what Dave's done (once he's fabricated the part for me, it's easier for him to reproduce for others). If you are interested in buying this part from him, pls. contact him at [email protected]. I don't have a clue what he will charge for this, and it's up to you to negotiate with Dave directly.

Best,
Twin

View of the part on my workbench:
On workbench.JPG

View of the part (from inside the car) installed:
Mounted in the car.JPG

View of the backing plate (on the lift) from underneath the car:
From under the car.JPG

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm sure that TitaniumDave would be happy to fabricate this part in titanium, but given the cost (titanium is expensive and much more time-consuming to work with), I doubt it'll pencil out for anyone without a *lot* of money to burn. Didn't pencil out for me, which is why the part's made from steel and (for the record) nobody was really trying to suggest it's made from titanium... ;)

Shine, I have a Sparco Evo Rev seat that I got from Sleepless because I'm about an inch narrower at the hips than he is.

Twin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts