The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about putting together a "Titanium group buy" screws, bolts, etc.
Tell me which bolts/ screws you would like to change out to Ti.
Trying to gauge interest..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
From memory Ti is less reactive that Stainless. Would need to check book at work to be sure.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Use caution for critical suspension bolts.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my Poggipolini(Ferrari supplier) Titanium wheel bolts through Sector111. Not sure if they can still get them though. They were a BMW 3 Series wheel bolt kit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
just a word of warning we used ti bolts on our race car... the galling tendency of titanium is greater than that of stainless steel. be careful in applications where parts rotate about the axis of the bolt, also bolts that are removed and re-torqued several times ie- wheel bolts.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just a word of warning we used ti bolts on our race car... the galling tendency of titanium is greater than that of stainless steel. be careful in applications where parts rotate about the axis of the bolt, also bolts that are removed and re-torqued several times ie- wheel bolts.
My Ti wheel bolts are anodised. I was told that this keeps them from galling. I have taken them on and off 5 or 6 times and each time torqued them to 85lb ft., they show no galling and look pretty much new. A tiny bit of color change on the engaged threads and the cone(to be expected for any material, steel included). Ferrari uses titanium for wheel bolts on quite a few of their models. I have not heard of any problems. Porsche still uses aluminum wheel nuts on some of their cars. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Keep in mind also that if a critical Ti fastener gets a scratch or notch, it is much more prone to failure than steel, so should be discarded.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yep. More easily harmed by abrasion too. Not good for high heat fasteners normally. Can be corroded in the presence of a liquid (it is pretty noble on the galvanic charts).

Cool stuff, but just be careful where you use it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I might be interested in some Ti bolts for unimportant parts.

I had a bad experience with a Ti seat bolt on my mountain bike. One morning the bolt snapped and one end plus the bolt went flying when I sat on the seat. I only had it on for about a month. Perhaps it was defective or i overtorqued it or i exceeded the weight limit. :)

If Ferrari uses Ti wheel bolts, I imagine they must be more than adequate. I should check out the ones on my friend's new f430.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts