The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so by next year, do you think there will be options not available to people getting their cars this summer/fall???...if so, what might they be?...I would love to get a stage II exhaust as an upgrade...maybe more.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Lightweight option.

LSD.

Maybe other colors.

And....

Higher MSRP.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randy, do you think you will be able to upgrade exhuast from the factory rather than aftermkt?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'm #36 at AutoEurope. I hope to be getting my car by late December (merry Christmas) or mid January (Happy B-Day to me). If the MSRP increases by then someone else will be buying my car...

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Doubtful. It will likely remain aftermarket since the factory exhaust must meet noise regs for all states. Aftermarket can have a sticker on it, "For Off Road Use", and the owner just takes their chances.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Depends,

Anyone getting their car before spring/summer? should still be a 2005 car spec. At least I hope so.

Anyone getting a 2006 car will get a car with new lights and bumpers, but they might find a way to do it without adding weight or cost.

Remember that Lotus were having problems trying to sell elise's in Europe recently. Of course the 111R probably changed that a bit, but it's my understanding that there is no waiting period in there at all for those cars.

Since Lotus is trying to reestablish themselves here and trying to expand their dealer network, I don't think they'll risk it by increasing the price or taking options away. Most likelly they'll add more options :confused: due to the different type of driving we do here compared to Europe.

Let's face it, if they can increase their demand by 20% because of cruise control. They'll add it. Same thing with automatic transmission etc...

I know a lot of people will disagree with me since Lotus has always been very purist to their ways. But I have a feeling they'll give in due to their Malasian connection. Still I think they will be options, so is up to us what we want.

This is just my oppinion and is not based on any facts, just gut feeling.

Miguel

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Miguel said:

Anyone getting a 2006 car will get a car with new lights and bumpers, but they might find a way to do it without adding weight or cost.
no, the exemptions cover the 2005 and 2006 model years

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Miguel said:

Since Lotus is trying to reestablish themselves here and trying to expand their dealer network, I don't think they'll risk it by increasing the price
But isn't it normal for car manufacturers to bump up MSRP each year?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
mact3333 said:
Randy, do you think you will be able to upgrade exhuast from the factory rather than aftermkt?
I don't believe that has ever been doable for Europeans in the past, so highly doubtful

exhausts are easy to do at dealerships anyway

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Miguel,
It's highly unlikely you'll ever see an elise with an automatic.

English has already said no price increase as things stand now.

Also, as noted, the model year 2007 will be the one that has to conform with US regs, 2006. I suspect 2006 will essentially be the 2005 with more/different options.

Cruise, nah, don't see that either. I don't really think cruise control would be a make or brake for most people buying this car. No one I know has voiced that.
Chris

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Randy Chase said:
But isn't it normal for car manufacturers to bump up MSRP each year?
I dunno. I always thought that MSRP stayed ~equal year-to-year, with dealer incentives increasing every year to balance out the drop in demand as greater #'s become available on the used market.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am #64 at Ferrari of Denver, and I hope to get my car by September of 2005. Perhaps that's too optimistic - but regardless of when I get it I expect an increase in MSRP. I have a 2.5k bump factored into my budget for the car - any more than that and I'll have to reconsider. I really hope to see limited slip as an option, or even better as a part of the LSS package.

I wouldn't pay much for cruise, but if it came with the touring package or was cheap ($300?) I'd probably get it.

There aren't really any other options that I can think of that I'd like.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would like to have cruise control, but it is not a must-have feature. I do not really care about the physical labor aspect of not having cruise control (its not hard to rest your foot on a pedal) however, I do see myself at greater risk of speeding tickets without cruise control. Maybe I could get an aftermarket kit installed.

-Whit

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
transio said:
I dunno. I always thought that MSRP stayed ~equal year-to-year, with dealer incentives increasing every year to balance out the drop in demand as greater #'s become available on the used market.
I bought my MR2 new at $16,200 MSRP in 1990. By 1995 that same car was almost doubled in MSRP, mainly because of the shift in dollar/yen. The turbo Supra went up to $54k loaded.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Does anyone actually believe that they are getting more than 30 cars by the end of December? From what I have been hearing on this site, other sites, and from dealers themselves, it seems highly unlikely. The original expected due-date
has gone from April to July by my reckoning and if these set-backs continue
to rear their ugly heads, even 30 cars by December might be stretching it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Does anyone actually believe that they are getting more than 30 cars by the end of December? From what I have been hearing on this site, other sites, and from dealers themselves, it seems highly unlikely. The original expected due-date
has gone from April to July by my reckoning and if these set-backs continue
to rear their ugly heads, even 30 cars by December might be stretching it.
Who is they? LCU? Local Dealer?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am willing to bet you will never see an automatic offered in the Elise, cruise is a big maybe but both go against the grain of what this car is all about.
An increase in MSRP is also a certainty, happens all the time in the business. My guess is either the MSRP or...more likely to happen, the cost of options will increase.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I bought my MR2 new at $16,200 MSRP in 1990. By 1995 that same car was almost doubled in MSRP, mainly because of the shift in dollar/yen. The turbo Supra went up to $54k loaded.
Yeah, but the MSRP was still the same in terms of Yen, right? Had the exchange rate shift gone the other way, the MSRP would theoretically have come down, right?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Does anyone actually believe that they are getting more than 30 cars by the end of December?
I personally don't care. If my car doesn't come until next summer, I'll survive. Maybe I'll find a nice T-Rex to hold me over! ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
transio said:
Yeah, but the MSRP was still the same in terms of Yen, right? Had the exchange rate shift gone the other way, the MSRP would theoretically have come down, right?
Right, but my point is that the exchange rate dollar/pound has changed and keeping the car sub $40k was a decision that was made in spite of it, because they promised the car would be released at below $40k. Next year, the pressure of the promise would be past, and it would be easy to feel justified in announcing a small increase in MSRP for 2005.

Maybe they won't though...

Regardless of exhange rates, I think an annual bump in MSRP is still very normal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts