The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think Lotus will be bringing the Elise to Canada any time soon if ever in this model of the car. Not only does it not have daytime running lights but its bumpers or should I say lack of them will not pass Canadian standards.
This is exactly why the Mitsubishi EVO VIII is not sold in Canada, due to our 8mph bumper standards. With this standard the front intercooler on the EVO would get crushed.
The U.S. has slacker bumper standards than in Canada. So with the Elise having no bumpers at all, it will not be imported into Canada.
I am a lucky Canadian because my mother (bless her heart) kept her U.S. citizenship even though she moved to Canada permanently, so I was able to get my U.S. papers and I am now on 2 lists waiting to place my final order for the Elise.
Wow...I never thought of it but I may be the only person in Canada to own and enjoy driving an Elise, at least in the Toronto area. I have property in both Canada and the U.S. so any Canadians out there on this forum who live in the Toronto area let me know and I will gladly show you the machine and take you for a ride when I take possession of it.
Hopefully, Lotus will address the issues regarding Canadian standards for the next Elise model. When you really think about it Canada is such a small market considering the total number of cars Lotus produces in total.
I am just very happy that the Canadain dollar has gone up so much in the last few years, it will save me a lot of $$$$$$$$ on the exchange rate.
Cheers
:clap:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Maverick1 said:
I am just very happy that the Canadain dollar has gone up so much in the last few years, it will save me a lot of $$$$$$$$ on the exchange rate.
Cheers
:clap:
You can thank George W. for that.

Ohhh..., and sorry about the Elise not going to Canada, it really is a great loss for you guys..

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Maverick1 said:
I am a lucky Canadian because my mother (bless her heart) kept her U.S. citizenship even though she moved to Canada permanently, so I was able to get my U.S. papers and I am now on 2 lists waiting to place my final order for the Elise.
How does your citizenship status allow a waiver on ownership in Canada of a non-approved car?

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not going to import the car....keep U.S. plates on it....

Since I am a dual citizen and have property in both Countries, I live 7 months in the U.S. and 4 months in Canada, it is no problem. I spend the summer months in Canada and the rest down in Sunny California. The best of both worlds.
Cheers
P.S. Many Americans have never been to Canada and really have no idea what Canada is like. If you've never been you should plan a trip up to Canada in the summer, maybe to see Toronto or go out west to beautiful British Columbia, Vancouver is an awesome city.
You won’t believe this but I have met many Americans who once thought Canada was some baron snow covered wasteland where we all lived in igloos. LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep,
My wife and I have been considering emigrating to Victoria, lots and lots of jobs for nurses.

Year before last rode my motorcyccle up the east coast through New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario, great country
Chris
This message NOT brought to you by Canadian Tourism Board.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am so glad you are able to do that! Importing a car is not fun. I am a Canadian living in the US and at one time I imported the Miata from Vancouver down to Texas. Big Hassle! I hope to return to Canada upon retirement and be a snowbird like you! :D

I have a friend from Vancouver visiting me just so he can see and drive the Elise. I also have some friends in the TO area, having worked there for 5 years, so I may visit next spring! I remember some great roads leading up to the Muskoka area.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
My neighbor's daughter has dual citizenship since she was born in the US and moved to Canada when she was young. She recently married a guy who has dual citizenship in Canada and the UK.

Wonder if he could buy a UK version car, bring it to Canada, and then have his wife keep it at her parents house in the USA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maverick, is this statement your observation/opinion, or is it fact you've heard from a dealer/distributor/Lotus USA?

I'm keeping my hopes up that it'll arrive.

As for those who wish to visit Canada, you'll love it! Especially Vancouver (where I am). Most beautiful city.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I grew up literally across the bridge from Canada in Maine - it really is beautiful country. Pretty harsh winters tho. If you ever really want to get away from it all, Labrador is the place to go. :) Congrats on being able to have an elise up there.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Peter R said:

As for those who wish to visit Canada, you'll love it! Especially Vancouver (where I am). Most beautiful city.
Agreed, but specially Victoria.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peter R....just using common sense my friend...

I read that it was very difficult for Lotus to break into the U.S. market and took some time and some effort. The biggest issues were that fact that the Elise does not have any bumpers and secondly with the headlights which are not sealed.
Common sense says that Elises are very much in demand, in fact are backordered for the next few years, and will take the next 2-3 years just to fill the U.S. orders. Therefore it is highly unlikely that Lotus will bother trying to pass or get the Elise exempted from Canada's more strict standards.
Like I said, that is why the EVO cannot be sold in Canada(Canada's strict crash standards), and I know for sure that Mitsubishi would sell a heck of a lot more EVO's in Canada than Lotus would sell Elises, and Mitsubishi has yet to get permission to sell them in Canada.
All you can do is hope that Lotus will produce the next generation of the Elise to comply with all North American standards.
It does really such for all of you Canadians like myself who have followed the Elise for many years in Europe, wishing it would come to Canada only to be left a little short.
You might be able to import the Elise as a track specific vehicle, i.e. race car, to be driven only on the track and not licensed for the street. But that would suck and be a very costly track toy. Or you could go into a field of study and get a job in the U.S. and eventually immigrate down and live there and get your Elise.
Thanks again Mom for keeping your U.S. citizenship. Love you.
Cheers
p.s. I do feel your pain.:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will not emigrate to the U.S. just to get the car*.

I'm hoping that the current Elise will be certified and if not, I can certainly bet the next series will be a "world" car and meet the regs... I just hope it looks better than the current crop of spy photos floating around out there.

* = I love the U.S. (especially New England. I'm from Quebec originally and I loved to visit NH, VT, NY, etc... That's the biggest thing I miss since moving out here), but I love it up here in Canada more and would not leave. I have a great job, a roof over my head and a Ferrari 308 in the garage, what more could I want?... Well, an Elise!! :D

Yes Randy, Victoria is gorgeous. Have you had the chance to visit the rest of Vancouver Island? Alot of wonderful roads, rugged Northwest scenery... The perfect getaway...

·
Registered
352 Posts
If Canada has 8 mph bumper regulations, I doubt the Elise will ever appear there. Unless they get an exemption. I would guess 8 mph bumpers would add 200 lbs. to the weight of the Elise.

I had always thought it was easier to get European and other odd vehicles into Canada, but I didn't know they had this kind of regulation.

DLy

·
Registered
39 Posts
etypeiii said:
...I had always thought it was easier to get European and other odd vehicles into Canada, but I didn't know they had this kind of regulation.

DLy

Actually it is and very open... If the car is 15 years old and older. Then the car can be brought in without needing any mods whatsoever. Anything newer, needs to meet the regs.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Maverick1 said:
...I never thought of it but I may be the only person in Canada to own and enjoy driving an Elise, at least in the Toronto area. I have property in both Canada and the U.S. so any Canadians out there on this forum who live in the Toronto area let me know and I will gladly show you the machine and take you for a ride when I take possession of it...
you may not be the only one.

i spend time in ann arbor, detroit, toronto, and windsor. i used to be in toronto every weekend, but less so now.

there could be others?

when do you expect to get your hands on one? probably sooner than me, as i have about a year ahead of me.

crazy as it may sound, if it comes to making where-to-live decisions in the near future, unavailability of elise in canada may have some influence on me.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
masheen I hear ya...!!!

Masheen I will be placing my final options order sometime in December 04 or January 05, with an April delivery or May, not soon enough. I have been wanting this car for a long time now. I followed it in the European magazines, however I did not expect it to come to North America due to the fact that it has no bumpers and I did not think they could get an exemption. When did you send in your deposit??
Now it's just a waiting game, which gives me some time to decide on my color and options. Very tough decisions.
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts