The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby got backed into last night while parked in front of a cafe. Some people told me it happened and actually gave me a partial plate number. A cop came around the corner so I did give him the information as to what happened according to witnesses.

Some background: Bought the car in March, still under warranty, brand new. Just had the expel starshield installed 2 weeks ago over the entire front clam.

When I got home with a flashlight and looking at it in the morning light, I am sick over it, as the starshield seems ripped and the paint underneath it seems to be scuffed as well. The clam has a chunk cracked underneath the lip behind the license plate/ above the front 'grill' not viewable unless you kneel down to actually look at it.

So the question is: what do I do? Do I wash it, attempt to remove the scuff as much as possible? Should I call insurance as soon as I hear from the cop as to whether he was able to identify the party that left? My deductible is $500 and I just dropped almost $2000 on the starshield so I am a bit upset, but as I am new to these cars, I am not aware of damage control. My fear is my insurance going up and the 500 I am out.

Also, as I have read posts on here about diminishing value, carfax, etc, it makes my head spin even more.

I live in Mass, and any advice would be great as to how to proceed.
Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Have the insurance pay and as far as car value going down let the insurance know too. Make sure to take pictures before and after.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You probably will not get diminished value. It really only works on third party claims (as in almost NEVER of first party claims). If you can find who did it to your car, you can submit a DV claim against THEIR insurance company. They usually say that if fixed it is as new, so no DV, but you need to stick with it. Let them know your position (use a company that can provide a DV report with their opinion dollar value) and if they again say no, let them know that you are also sending a copy of your claim letter to their insured and that you will pursue other options, such as bringing their insured to small claims court if the insurance company does not work with you. Insurance companies do NOT like their customers to feel they left them out in the cold, and will usually then begin to work with you. As you can see though, if YOUR insurance company, the threat to bring the driver to small claims court does not work. Trust me, I know a LOT about this subject!

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I think one of the key points is damage. After reading your description, I am unclear if there is a substantial crack or simply shield and paint damage. Personally, if there isn't reinforcing fiberglass work required to fix it, don't claim. Your deduct is $500. How much more to reapir it? If they find the hit and run, you might have an attorney contact them directly for a settlement.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Personally, I'd want to keep a minor scrape like this off the books. People completely freak out over anything that pops up on a carfax, no matter how minor.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does no one here know how to wheel and deal?

First of all, your insurance won't go up. The car was parked so it will be claimed under your comprehensive coverage. As for the $500 deductible... Take your car to the most expensive place for a repair estimate... Do you see where I'm going with this?

If not, PM me. -poke-

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
$2000 for the starshield install? -eek-
I had it installed on my subaru for $600, and they wouldn't hesitate to install on a lotus. Won't be the same brand, but just as good.

If there is fiberglass damage i know a shop that has worked on a few local lotus, and we might be bringing ours there to fix one of my "oops" moments if we don't fix it ourselves. Let me know if you want the name.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you can post a picture, it would be very helpful. I know that even a small amount of fiber-glass work can cost a lot to fix. If you find the other driver, and you are not at fault do you still pay the deductible?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No ****! I haven't done mine yet but for the WHOLE front of the car it would be $600.

$2000 for the starshield install? -eek-
I had it installed on my subaru for $600, and they wouldn't hesitate to install on a lotus. Won't be the same brand, but just as good.

If there is fiberglass damage i know a shop that has worked on a few local lotus, and we might be bringing ours there to fix one of my "oops" moments if we don't fix it ourselves. Let me know if you want the name.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This strikes me as an exercise in arithmetic.

+1 on your rates not going up. It'll be covered under Comprehensive, not collision or liability.

Get a quote for the complete repair. If it costs more to fix it than your $500 deductible, it pays to make the claim. There's a good chance that the insurance company will pursue the other driver to recover their pay-out anyway.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
Also, as I have read posts on here about diminishing value, carfax, etc, it makes my head spin even more.
well, a prospective buyer may google your profile on here and see this post. :confused:

I always google everything about a car im buying, the majority of the time I end up finding ads for the car sale from even the owner before hand and sometimes even get in contact with them because of forums. My current elise, I managed to find the first owners info. (I am the 2nd owner, but it was in a dealership) then I spoke with the owner about the car though lotustalk of all places.

I also managed to find posts on here about that owner upgrading my car while he owned it. :clap:

So, long story short.. if you're worried about people finding out about the bump and "freaking out" when looking to buy the car, I'd be careful about posting negative info about it. :panic:

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Does no one here know how to wheel and deal?

First of all, your insurance won't go up. The car was parked so it will be claimed under your comprehensive coverage. As for the $500 deductible... Take your car to the most expensive place for a repair estimate... Do you see where I'm going with this?

If not, PM me. -poke-
Yup. I had a year-old car totaled, in my opinion. No way I wanted it back. Body shop bid it just low enough even though my salesman told the body guy not to do it 'cause I'd be all over him for every problem.

Called the guilty girl's insurance dude:

I want you to total this car.

"The damage does not warrant it."

If you really believe that, why not total it and make some money for your company?

"The books and bids say it's not a candidate for a total."

OK, write me a check for the bid amount and I'll total it myself.

"That's not the way we do business."

OK, let me tell you how I do business: If you fix this car, every time it rattles, squeaks or groans in a way it did not before the crash, I'm calling you. Whatever time of the day or night. I will call you once every half-hour until it is repaired to my satisfaction. I can find any phone number you can get, I know people at the phone company, and you will never find them. My brother is a lawyer and will work for free. He hates insurance companies. (He could check and he would have found that my brother actually was licensed in Minnesota at that time.)

"I'll have you arrested for harrassment".

Maybe you can make that stick and maybe you can't. Want to find out?

The check arrived the next day by courier. Understand, I do NOT have an intimidating physical presence.

I trailered my car to a junkyard and sold it. I felt I got a good price and was quite happy with the two checks together. The buyer came by and gave me the CB antennae (the crash had made them not removable until he did some work) and picked up the manuals. Nice guy. He told me how much he paid, and the junkyard had made a tidy profit. Still, he was happy. I can't see how he was not seriously upside-down at that price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts