The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as the time for ordering gets closer the question becomes this:

To GT or not to GT?

Do I place in my order all the goodies that my M Roadster has? Heated Leather seats? AC (Crappy as it may be on both)? 14 cupholders to enjoy the wide open straight highways? A kick'n sound system with 24" subs N' Dubs all around? Gullwing hardtop with the Eddie Bauer coordinated armrest?

I seriously am quite torn about this. I keep looking at how much or how little I want to mess with this car. I have a second vehicle (Jeep Wrangler) that fulfills the job of people/stuff transporting so I don't need practicallity. I don't do too many long road trips. But it is nice to have a sweet looking car to drive people around in. The jeep doesn't fulfill that need at all- it's 14 years old and looks like should be taken out back and shot (twice). Even so I love my Jeep & I'm not going to replace it until dies. If I go full on sports there aren't too many people that want a bad back after 20 miles or so of riding. Plus I don't want a third vehicle - too much pain to find parking for 2 cars.

If it were just me driving I would have that thing with NO FAT & tight. I don't want any fru fru on it at all. No radio (slight maybe), no AC, nothing that didn't serve the purpose of going fast. (Well, I'ld keep the 18 cupholders :D )

Even if I just want pure sports will Lotus have 2 trim levels? Will I even be able to choose? Touring with the fru fru & 24 cupholders & Race Tech with the Chiropractic kit in the trunk? Or all we all doomed to a cushy ride and sensory deprivation of a Cadillac with no sports version?

How about you guys? Who here is GT and who is all out Sports?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Good question. I think a lot of us will have some thoughts of compromise.

I truly understand the pure race car idea. But if I have to drive 500 miles to that racetrack in the car... I want cruise control. :)

There are some things I don't need. Some I really want. Some I think are worth the trade off.

I know it's akin to blasphemy... but I would like one cup holder. (hides from the bats being thrown). :) I know... but on my trips to racing venues, I will drink liquids. And it makes my life easier to have a place to put on little starbucks cup. Just one. In my MR2, I mounted a window one. So that would work also. I know the car won't have them... so it's a non-issue.

Stereo. I understand that sweet sound of the engine. Sure. But on the straight open freeway on a 1000 mile trip, I will go batsh!t crazy without some tunes. I don't need the subwoofer and 10 CD changer. But something is important.

A/C. This I am torn on. I removed it from my last car. Great for performance. Sucks to drive across the desert in the middle of the day. I guess I would opt for it and hope it's light. Easy to say you think it's a mistake, but I have done a 16 hour drive across the desert in a race car, with an ice soaked towel on my head to keep me from passing out in the heat. I got a lot of funny looks from truckers. :)

Leather. I love leather seats. But not in a racecar. I want something grippy. Whatever that is.

Stiff suspension. Yes. No doubt. I want it adjustable, but I want it performance oriented.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I know it's akin to blasphemy... but I would like one cup holder. (hides from the bats being thrown). :)
What's wrong with wanting a carbon fiber cup holder?! I mean, do you know how hard it is to steer and shift while holding a Budwiser? Really, people. :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, I'm not sure there will be too many option -at least for the first few years. I imagine as the Elise evolves, more comfort/luxury features will be added -or Lotus may offer a new GT oriented Espirit in attempt to get us to trade up.

Personally, I'd be happy with the European sport touring package: power windows, central locks, 4 speaker CD, a/c (manditory in AZ) and a bit more sound insulation. However, that's provided the performance specs are at least as good as the current Euro S2 model.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This is a gag, right ? Do you know what the Elise owners in England are saying right now? "There goes the neighborhood!"

Sorry to sound like such a snob, and I know I know I know, to each their own, but you outta know, this was designed as a minimalist car, and IMHO that's really the way it should be. I know, that's not the 'Merican Way, but still. Okay, hat, coat, bye-bye :rolleyes:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Not a gag. Like I said, I am very understanding of the minimalist concept. But it does become a value judgement and tradeoff for each feature you have.

Why not forget heating? A trunk? Windows that move? Eventually, you have what I already own... a racing kart. :) And I love driving the kart. It's pure performance and speed on the track....but I would not want to drive that kart to Kansas every year.

So the question becomes what are the tradeoffs in performance for what you get? Is a radio really a problem? Cruise control?

Well... maybe cruise is not worth it. I have mixed feelings about that. It's one thing if you don't do a lot of 16-18 hour drives like I do. But when you do, cruise becomes a lot more important.

A/C.... 90% of the time I will say it's not worth it. But 10%, I will be glad it's available. And I know I am a better racer if I can keep from being drained from heat prior to a race. Worth the weight? Hard to say.

Okay, cupholder was a reach. :) Then again, 1 ounce of plastic?

One thing I do know, even though I am a big fan of low weight, most of this is not going to be able to be noticed by most of the drivers, and it's lost in the difference of driver ability. I am 100% sure of that.

It's still a minimalist car. Not to worry. And a lot of this discussion is still going to cover the suspension packages available. No matter what I have on my car, it will handle when I am done with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To each his own. Personally, right after the engine option I want A/C. If you don't the you can rip it our in an easy afternoon.

I plan to use this car for everyday driving, track days and I will run it in Solo events if I can get it classified.

Well. Ok, I'd like a CD/MP3 player radio too. If you don't, you could always get a removable...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI All,
I want the car to have enough options available to have appeal to a wider target buying group.

The options I want will be A/c (not an option here in GA) and the electric windows (reason being that the UK boards say electric windows eliminate the rattle from the manual windows).

I don't care how many options they offer, I just want them to sell lots of these cars and be successful with this and later cars here in the US so we can continue to enjoy our cars.
Chris

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a big difference between England & the US. Mostly it boils down to everyday driving & how traffic is here versus there.

For you English types reading this think about driving your Elise into Downtown London or around MK everyday. Traffic in England is MUCH lighter than here in the US. For the time I've spent over there I've always been surpised how few cars there are on the road even during "rush hours". It's quite common for Americans to drive an hour each way to work & have half that time spent sitting in traffic. It's one of the reasons automatic trannies are more common than manuals. Since gas is about one fifth the price we also drive more than the average Englander.

That's why alot of Americans want some creature comforts. That's why we have "houses" on wheels. I'm not an A/C guy but when you realize that most of the US experiences much hotter weather than the UK A/C becomes a requirement. How many of you Brits wished for A/C during your heatwave?

Now, admittedly, your Elise pilot isn't your average driver & some things I said don't really apply. But please keep that in mind when you call us "Big Girl's blouses*".

*BGB(UK)= wimp(US)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have 3 miatas, 3 RX7's and One Jeep Cherokee. Of these 7 cars, only 2 have air...and neither of them work properly or are cold because I just didnt care. I was perfectly happy driving top down or windows down.

For quite some time I didnt care that I had no air, heck, I pulled the air out of all five of them to fit bigger turbo's, bigger motors.....but now that Im getting a little older Im getting grumpier.

Driving a turbocharged car or Motorswapped car generating extra heat due to the mods,in a tiny car, when its 90 degrees and 80% humidity, is SICK. I have a gold bracelet that I wear almost constantly and while driving this past weekend it got so hot I had to remove it. Yes, its that hot here in KY.

So, I choose AIRCONDITIONING and I dont care who thinks Im a moron. I want to be able to cruise somewhere and not look like a hot sweat goon until AFTER the race is over. Also it would be nice to have a spiffy car to take to functions. As it stands right now I have some really nice cars but cant take them to social functions because when I have decent clothes on by the time I get there Im sweating like a man and very irritable.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
"hot sweat goon" :)

I was thinking more about this...and I think you hit on something. Age. I wonder if it's relevant. I know for me, at a younger age, I was less concerned about being comfortable. As I age, I refuse to sleep in the car on a road trip, or eat dinner from a convenience store. :)

It would be nice if I did have my daily driver Ferrari or Lambo, but as it is, this car will be my daily driver. And I have to drive to business meetings. I don't want to show up looking like a hot sweat goon.

·
Registered
637 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I have 3 miatas, 3 RX7's and One Jeep Cherokee. Of these 7 cars, only 2 have air...and neither of them work properly or are cold because I just didnt care. I was perfectly happy driving top down or windows down.

For quite some time I didnt care that I had no air, heck, I pulled the air out of all five of them to fit bigger turbo's, bigger motors.....but now that Im getting a little older Im getting grumpier.

Driving a turbocharged car or Motorswapped car generating extra heat due to the mods,in a tiny car, when its 90 degrees and 80% humidity, is SICK. I have a gold bracelet that I wear almost constantly and while driving this past weekend it got so hot I had to remove it. Yes, its that hot here in KY.

So, I choose AIRCONDITIONING and I dont care who thinks Im a moron. I want to be able to cruise somewhere and not look like a hot sweat goon until AFTER the race is over. Also it would be nice to have a spiffy car to take to functions. As it stands right now I have some really nice cars but cant take them to social functions because when I have decent clothes on by the time I get there Im sweating like a man and very irritable.
You have 3 miatas and only one of them is fast?

:) Jist kidding. :)

Craigy

·
Registered
637 Posts
What would be useful would be if as well as the cost, Lotus printed the weight of each of these options. It'll never happen of course; it'd be too hard to keep up with the different parts from different suppoliers.

From what I have seen of the aircon unit and the space there is for it, it's going to be pretty small (and hopefully therefore light!)

Heated seats? On an elise? are you kidding?

If it's cold enough for heated seats, you might want to be driving something else anyway.

Craigy

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Craigy said:
You have 3 miatas and only one of them is fast?

:) Jist kidding. :)

Craigy
:) Not one miata or RX7 in my drive isnt heavily modified. I think I need to be selling at least one of them, but Ive not found a market for 400hp miatas yet. Also on the market soon, a T-88 single turbo RX7/Haltech/KDRotary brideported motor, hurley 3mm seals etc etc. The garage has to be cleaned out...I need room for the Lotus toys!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
Actually heated seats are on damn near every car now... My GF is looking at getting a Ford StreetKa & it has heated seats as an option.

StreetKa = Cheap TT wannabe...

http://ford.co.uk/ns7/streetka/-/-
Yeah but you could safely drive that in winter... I had a Ka for a year and they are a hoot to drive. The streetKa has been here for a while.

Craigy

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Craigy said:
What would be useful would be if as well as the cost, Lotus printed the weight of each of these options.
Caterham actually does this for the Sevens. Of course, their options are less complicated than an A/C system ("windscreen delete", "carbon fibre bonnet"). I really wish that Mazda could have done this for the Miata, but Mazda won't even provide total weight figures for the Miata Club Sport., whose main selling point is that it's the lightest Miata currently available. I suppose with their record on accuracy of their power specs, I wouldn't trust their weight specs either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts