The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you look in manual and see what type of bulb the low beams are...I know I asked this awhile back and Arno said H1 but I want to be sure cause he was talking about the euro car...need to buy that 6000K HID kit now...perhaps Ill be the first one to retro the Elise???

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
mact, you must perform a DIY writeup if you do fit HIDs to the Elise!!!

It's your civic duty! ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Genjuro said:
mact, you must perform a DIY writeup if you do fit HIDs to the Elise!!!

It's your civic duty! ;)
I will for sure...harder than I thought..Arno said you had to take inner wheel cover off to get to lights.

I ordered a Elise CD repair manual on Ebay for 96-02' Elises and Im hoping it will apply to our Fed. Elises also. I ordered this HID kit below already. Dont let his website fool you(he sells alot of cheesy stuff). The kit he is selling is decent. I bought one exactly like that before. You have to make sure its Philips and if you go 6000K like me rather than 4300K, make sure the ground bar seen in pic is either purple/blue and not brown. Also, look at the inner round capsule and make sure the salt crystals are maroon color. The ballast should be a Philips LVQ 212. BTW, technically, these kits are illegal now if anyone cares. I dont. Nobody will ever know cause OEM HID's are so common now. I dont forsee any probs cause we have projector housings so we should have nice sharp cutoff vs reflector housings, which have a tendency to spray the light pattern out abit more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7909648275&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zvezdah1 said:
I scanned the pages on bulb replacement from the owners manual. I'll post when I get home.
Chris
Chris, I already bought a H1 kit cause you said that was the appropriate replacement for the low beams...dont tell me you werent sure...if not , Im headed to GA to lay down some Pacific NW whoopass...:D :D :D ...kiddin.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
mact,
No I was referring to instructions for bulb replacement(which the manual does in detail), the manual DOES list 55w H1 as the bulb.
Chris

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, that would be great so I could see how tough of a job its going to be...guess its better than having to remove the front clamshell...on regular cars, the HID swap is a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nathan968 said:
You will most likely have to remove the clam to attach the ballasts to the crash structure.
Hard to say Nathan...the ballasts are very light in weight and I have previously attached them to any flat surface using industrial double sided velcro...I have also used zipties if flat spot not available.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
smura said:
These are the guys I'll use for HID. True phillips bulbs/balasts

xenondepot.com
Their genuine Philips products look good. But I just bought the same 6000K ultinon kit for 469.00 and they sell for 550.00...the kit I bought is prob made(actually not made but put together) in China but the ballast and bulbs are the same as any sold in the US(cause its actually made by Philips)...the bulbs are just rebased to fit the application. Dont buy their 8000K stuff cause its crap. If you want white/yellowish light with most intensity, get their 4300K kit. If ya want white/blueish light like Audi/BMW, get their 6000K ultinon kit(intensity slightly lower than 4300K).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts