The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has not been a good year for my poor 93 Esprit. First the AC needed replacement so I did not drive it on hot days, then the fuel tank started leaking. Its been in the shop for 3 months now waiting for the tech to get to it. To be honest I didn't really mind that much since I was unemployed and didn't want to deal with the huge repair bill.

Well it looks like I got a new job, but its in Portland Oregon and I'm currently in Philadelphia. So shipping the car out will add yet another $2,000 to the repair cost. I've lived all my life on the east coast so I don't know, will I even enjoy driving this car in Oregon? What is the driving season like? Are there good Esprit mechanics around? Or should I just cut my loses and sell the car?

Rob

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was in Portland years back, beautiful area, not that far to the coast, or to the mountains...

Compared to Philadelphia, I would much rather have the Lotus in Oregon...

Brian

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There are a few dealers in the area who work on Lotus, including park place just up the I5. May be worth contacting Guy Therein (think I spelt that wrong :facepalm) who lives in a suburb of Portland and would be able to answer any questions though I think he has cut back and now only owns the five Esprits rotfl

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Rob,

I am located in the Philly suburbs (Delco). My mechanic passed away and I was concerned until I went to a party and another guy had a Lotus. He told me the head Lotus Mechanic from Rothrock- Bud opened his own shop. I got his contact information and he seems like a great guy. I am confident I just found my new mechanic. Here is the contact information:

Bud McCloskey & Sons Auto Repair
232 Lombard Rd
Holmes, PA 19043-1438

This is information for while you are in the Philly area. Good luck with the move.

Take care,
Jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Rob,

You should bring it out to Oregon. Lots of great Lotus folks, 2 great tracks, and awesome roads to explore. The off season is just long enough to catch up on maintenance and repairs.

Thousands of miles of amazing touring roads:)

Honestly you could do a lot of nice drives with no AC. Especially if you're a morning person.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I live in the Portland area and enjoy flogging my Esprit V8 here whenever I have the chance. The local Portland Lotus dealer is not really that familiar with Esprits and they are better with the newer Lotus cars, but their previous shop manager runs the Jag Shop in Portland and he and his shop are well versed with the Esprit. I know about Park Place up the I5 corridor a ways, but I don't have any first-hand experience with them.

Knut

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Keep the car, Rob. You know how special they are, and they are hard to replace. Trust me, I am going through one of the more difficult periods in my life, and am barely using my Esprit, but time will come to enjoy it again...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I live in the Portland area and enjoy flogging my Esprit V8 here whenever I have the chance. The local Portland Lotus dealer is not really that familiar with Esprits and they are better with the newer Lotus cars, but their previous shop manager runs the Jag Shop in Portland and he and his shop are well versed with the Esprit. I know about Park Place up the I5 corridor a ways, but I don't have any first-hand experience with them.

Knut

Did you attend the HOD event 10 days ago?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Did you attend the HOD event 10 days ago?
Yes I did and I had a lot of fun with it. I was driving the yellow Esprit. Car ran well with the cool air, but the traction wasn't ideal with the cooler track temperatures, so I came up a little short on my lap times.

Knut

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes I did and I had a lot of fun with it. I was driving the yellow Esprit. Car ran well with the cool air, but the traction wasn't ideal with the cooler track temperatures, so I came up a little short on my lap times.

Knut
I'll PM you so we don't hyjack. The car looked great.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hey Rob - I hear ya man. I go throughcycles myself where I start wondering what the hell Im doing with this thing? Even though my latest "wiring" fisaco was not the cars fault, it still had me thinking that perhaps this isnt worth it. Financially its CLEARLY NOT WORTH it. Lets just say it right now. As sad as it is - these cars are just never going to quite get the recognition they deserve and therefore many will disappear before anyone starts realizing how "valuable" they actually are. I always felt like *maybe* my '87 HCi would eventually go up in value if I kept her good and sorted.... seeing as its the defacto G-car model and the best performer of the era.

But, it lacks that Horse badge so they languish in the high teens, low 20's at best.

This spring, Im in the same boat. Im quite tempted to be done with it. Its been a great "ride" but life goes on. There are other cars I do like and Im not rich enough to have more tha one toy at a time so if I ever want to own something else, my car has to go.

I wish I could offer better advice but buying these cars AND selling them is such an emotional decision its very hard to be objective about it. Good luck, man. The part that sucks is that it probably ffeels like you are damned if you do, damned if ya dont: If you sell it, you'll miss it badly but if you keep it and it starts eating your wallet/time you'll be pissed you kept it. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just my perspective...

I've had my car since 1999. Those costs are long since sunk. I could sell, but what would I buy that I would enjoy more at a value near the Esprit's?

So, even if I have to sink $5k into it some year (which will surely happen at some point), I choose to think I'll get a Lotus Esprit for $5k (since I've long since stopped missing what I spent in 1999).

Fix it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Rob,

I am located in the Philly suburbs (Delco). My mechanic passed away and I was concerned until I went to a party and another guy had a Lotus. He told me the head Lotus Mechanic from Rothrock- Bud opened his own shop. I got his contact information and he seems like a great guy. I am confident I just found my new mechanic. Here is the contact information:

Bud McCloskey & Sons Auto Repair
232 Lombard Rd
Holmes, PA 19043-1438

This is information for while you are in the Philly area. Good luck with the move.

Take care,
Jason
Thanks but I have been using Possum Hollow in Phoenixville and have been very happy with them. Not to mention it's always a treat when I drop off or pick up the car because they have so many awesome cars around (ferraris, jags, maseratis, Porsches, etc.)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. I actually have until next summer to decide, as I will only move then. Until then I'll be staying at a furnished apartment and will keep my Philly place. If I do sell it I'm actually thinking of staying in the lotus family... Getting a Tesla roadster and using it as a daily driver. I think that would be really awesome. Just need to find one cheap enough lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts