The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, did you get starshield???...if so, did any chips go through the shield??...if not, did you notice alot of chips after ride home?..Im debating hard whether I need it or not but I am driving back car home when I get it approx. 1000 miles.

To be honest, other than ride home after delivery I dont think I need it. I only plan on driving it on weekends and track. Does anyone make a bra for Elise??? Perhaps a bra only?.

·
Registered
485 Posts
we drove home 500 miles ans currently have @2000 miles on the car and there are no signs of chips or chips through the StarShield. I personally think it is a good idea. My dealership called monday to tell us our other car was in port and asked us if we wanted the StarShield and I told them to put it on.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Somewhat hard to answer because the absense of chips does not mean that you did not need Starshield, but might indicate it worked. How would you know?

I can tell you that the area right in front of the rear tires took some direct hits by larger rocks, mainly on and around the Tail of the Dragon. Those rocks left actual holes or damaged shield. I can't tell if the paint was damaged underneath, but it seems obvious that if there was no film, it would have left a significant chip out of the paint.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
MACT333,
Track events are really hard on a cars finish. I have seen cars get completley sand blasted as in no paint left at all on a surface.
I absolutley reccomend getting paint film protection. You can use any company you wish but is is very likley that you will end up with a 3M film of various thicknesses. The pretty much all use the 3M line by far the best in the industry I'm told.;)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
mact,
Judging from the beating the film took on the demos at the barber press launch (and Barber sweeps the track at frequent intervals, so it's very clean), it'd be a good idea to get the film.

Wouldn't consider not getting some sort of film protection (whichever you opt for)

Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would definately get some sort of clear shield, maybe not Star Shield but one of the others. Just in the 600 miles I have on the car I have heard a number of strikes that I am sure would ahve chipped the paint.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, the consensus is in, I will get the starshield...now for the million dollar question, mag vs nightfall???...:)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
mact3333 said:
ok, the consensus is in, I will get the starshield...now for the million dollar question, mag vs nightfall???...:)
I've seen the nightfall in person and (no offense) find it a very staid and "boring" color; not a color I would ever expect a sports car to be seen in.
It looked flat and lifeless. I'd like to compare it next to an aztec bronze car to see which is actually worse (for me).

go magnetic!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
mact3333 said:
Get nightfall! Too many people are buying Magnetic. ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MattG said:
Get nightfall! Too many people are buying Magnetic. ;)

funny cause even when my initial choice was ardent, i kept thinking of magnetic and then when i was going with nightfall, same thing...better just follow the heart and not brain on this one. Now I have to pray that Galpin and Lotus work something out soon...I just layed down racetile!...:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
mact3333 said:

To be honest, other than ride home after delivery I dont think I need it. I only plan on driving it on weekends and track.
So there are no rocks on the roads on Saturdays or Sundays? :confused:

One of the reasons I got it was that I will take it to the track one day. Ever ended up in the kitty litter? :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
raggedy1 said:
I've seen the nightfall in person and (no offense) find it a very staid and "boring" color; not a color I would ever expect a sports car to be seen in.
Never seen a dark blue/biscuit Ferrari or Aston Martin? Where I come from, if you've got a sports car (esp. one of the classic brands with a racing heritage), it's way, way cooler if it's an understated colour... dark shades of blue/green/red/silver... I guess it's an English thing, having an expensive toy but not needing to shout about it. Bright coloured cars are a little bit My First Sportscar. I see a bright red Ferrari and I think "I wonder how long 'til that's repossessed?". I see a dark blue one and I think "I wonder what else is in their garage?" ... but that's just me! I think Magnetic is very nice, but people who've picked the so-called "boring" colours know exactly what they're doing... ;) There is a lot of history in those colours, and if you check your racing history, silvers and dark greens and blues are actually the more natural 'sports car colours' than the new bright shades.

Of course, everyone should pick the colour that most appeals to them, but I felt someone should defend the classic shades! We're not boring, we just have a sense of history and are happy with the size of our 'bits'. :p

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: To Randy or anyone else who drove car back home long ways

girlracer said:
So there are no rocks on the roads on Saturdays or Sundays? :confused:

One of the reasons I got it was that I will take it to the track one day. Ever ended up in the kitty litter? :D
of course there are rocks on road on weekends but my only point was that I wont drive it all that much so time exposed to rocks way down...my last car had 7000 miles on it after 2 yrs...also, the track where I go to, it is smooth and no rocks...just pieces of tire....no evidence of sandblasting after 5 track days

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
well that's why I had said "no offense" regarding my opinion on color choices.
to me sports cars are about having fun and therefore the car should be a fun color.
i've never owned a red car and don't plan on it. if i ever have a chance to own a ferrari it would have to be silver or maybe yellow if I'm feeling frisky. my current car is a steel gray mist mr2 turbo so I'm not opposed to understated colors; I'm just not a fan of the nightfall blue (or starlight black) on the elise's contours...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts