The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to buy an Elise from a fellow forum member in Austin TX. I am in North East PA. The delema I have is whether I should have it shipped or if I should fly out there and drive it back. Which would you guys recommend.

Pickup
I just started a new job so I would rather not take any time off so I would have to fly out Friday night and drive back before Sunday night, which map quest says it should take 25 hours. So it sounds possible and would save me about 700 dollars but would be hard. It would make some things easier though, such as money transfer, title transfer and I could see and drive the car in person before buying it.

Delivery
I was quoted at anywhere from 1500 to 1700 to have it shipped. This would be easier on me but cost more and the major problem I have is not seeing or driving the car before buying it. Transfer of money and title would be a little tricky but not to bad.

So what do you guys think? Anyone who has done either and has recommendations i would really appreciate the info. Thanks guys

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Could you fly out, check out the car, assuming all-is-well, do the paperwork, fly home and still have it shipped?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Could you fly out, check out the car, assuming all-is-well, do the paperwork, fly home and still have it shipped?
i dont think he wants to pay money for both...

if your flying out there you might as well drive it back. Just read the "long drive in a lotus" thread before you drive it back. Its actually not called long drive in a lotus..but it was active about 4-5 days ago.

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
Delivery
I was quoted at anywhere from 1500 to 1700 to have it shipped.
That's a LOT.

We had ours shipped in an enclosed trailer from Chicago to Lexington, SC 3 months ago for around $900.

Have it shipped.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well some options I thought of tonight are:

I could see how far he is from lotus of Austin and if not to far, I know its 150-200 to have them completely go over the car. I would trust their word and that way I don't have to spend the money to fly out and I am sure they would look for things that I would not.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had this same question about 3 months ago. The one problem that I ran into about doing it over the weekend is if they still owe money on the car. You will most probably have to do it during business hours so the lien holder can sign off on the car, unless they are open on Saturday. You could always wire the money ahead of time and have them pay the car off, but my bank highly discouraged me doing that. I just drove down there with a check and came back with the title in hand.

I would not have it shipped, mainly because my wife and I had a blast driving ours home from Knoxville, TN to Michigan.

You could fly out late Thursday night and do the transaction on Friday( only lose on day of work) then you have the rest of Friday and all weekend to get her home.

Don't forget to make a stop at Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap. It should only be a little bit out of the way, depending on the route you plan on taking.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other development I just realized is, The next weekend where both I and my friend are free is about a month away :-/

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
One other development I just realized is, The next weekend where both I and my friend are free is about a month away :-/

damn, then the only thing you can do is SHIP IT!!!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
There is a very active Lotus community in Austin. We'd be more than happy to check the car out for you (we might even know something about it). If you decide to ship the car and you want some of us to look at it for you, post something here.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know about how long the shipping will take? I called fedex but they havent gotten back to me yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Anyone know about how long the shipping will take? I called fedex but they havent gotten back to me yet.
Just go to their auto site and get a direct quote, passport.fedex.com

I plugged in Austin to Scranton (not sure where in NE PA you are from). They quoted a price of $1700 with a pickup from 6/19 to 6/29 and a delivery of 6/24 to 7/9. I used them to ship my Elise recently and for an additional $500 they will expedite. It probably varies based on their loads, but in my case it brought the pickup date from their standard 10-day window to picking it up within 2 days of ordering.

Good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Drive it home. You will be a nervous wreck waiting on the shipping company and it could easily take a shipper as long to get it to you as you stated you would have to wait before an available weekend could be coordinated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts