The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have been doing 75 MPH when I came up on you, but I was not trying to catch up to you, nor was I trying to race. My 'thumbs up' was not intended to entice you into a contest of speed. I know your car is very quick; I have one. I hope you didn't take it personally when I let you zoom off into the distance without giving chase.

Going forward, please do yourself and other motorists the courtesy of not driving like that. I've been in high-speed pissing matches and I've been lucky not to have an incident. Having been there myself, I know what it's like to get the red mist and that can get yourself killed. Worse still, you could have hurt someone else who wasn't a party to your game.

However, I'd like to know what was going through your head. There is no way on God's green Earth that you would have had a chance. Do you regularly set yourself up for failure, or did you want to see in real life how fast a Noble is? Either way, the highway isn't the place for it. If you'd like to meet up in a controlled environment, I'll be happy to demonstrate the vehicle's capabilities.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
.........................as an uncomfortable silence settles itself over the forum........................

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I can write a post like this almost every day it seems. Insert other car brand of the day. Mustang. Honda. Whatever. And I am thinking the same thing... dude, I would blow you away, but this is not the place for it. And you wonder if he thinks he "won" the race you were not really racing in. Specially I do a friendly throttle blip and then back off. :shrug:

I try to just nod, smile, shake my head... give a thumbs up. Whatever makes them happy.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thats what i generally do, let them race on and spank the Lotus. Really not worth it. Maybe its because i am 50yrs old, been there done that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.........................as an uncomfortable silence settles itself over the forum........................
I don't understand all the emoticons and cryptic responses, so I'm at a loss for a reply.

I can write a post like this almost every day it seems. Insert other car brand of the day. Mustang. Honda. Whatever. And I am thinking the same thing... dude, I would blow you away, but this is not the place for it. And you wonder if he thinks he "won" the race you were not really racing in. Specially I do a friendly throttle blip and then back off. :shrug:

I try to just nod, smile, shake my head... give a thumbs up. Whatever makes them happy.
I really don't see that much aggression on the roads around here, except when driving the Porsche. Not only do I feel like a dick driving it, it makes others act like dicks.

That said, there's no reason for anyone to try and goad anyone into a street race, especially given the Commonwealth's onerous punishments for racing and even speeding. I don't know why people feel the need. I've met several of the local Lotus owners and I made the false presumption that they weren't into such juvenile behavior.

Perhaps I'm completely wrong and my favorite description of human interaction was at work last night: In any group of two or more people, there's at least one assh*le.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It is hard though to tell if it is aggression. Sometimes I think it is a friendly thing. Like Smokin Orange, I am older (50) so I am not as interested (or have seen too much over the years to know better).. but if I was 20 again, I would be all over a street race. I would have been that aggressive guy.

But my point is, the guy who comes up beside the Noble, he is in a Honda Civic with a loud can... and blips his car and tries to race... I think he is not that deluded, but a way of saying "cool car dude, I have a cool car too. Feel free to accelerate and like, I would be toast, but it would be awesome. Our little moment on the freeway."

Then, like yesterday... a Ford SVT Mustang... I am certain he is aggressive and wants to prove his car is faster. In yesterday's case... I saluted the guy and smiled. His reaction was momentary confusion... and then he got it. I was paying him respect and that was cool. I turned away and drove off.

I do think you give the general ownership too much credit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts