The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Hopefully, Gustav will take a turn or weaken. In any event, please be safe.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
you know if new Orleans gets its clock cleaned again I think we should take it as a sign not to build below sea level in hurricane alley and move the city else where

wreck a city once shame on you, wreck a city twice shame on civil engineers:no:

and I hope everyone in the way has gotten to a safe location already

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Hopefully, Gustav will take a turn or weaken. In any event, please be safe.
Amen, lets hope it misses them altogether and that everyone is safe...my thoughts and prayer will be with them.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Good luck, Big Easy. I love that town.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riding it out now in the 70454 zip. Winds are getting bad and my fence is pretty much toast. My generac guardian generator is paying for itself big time right now!
Looks like it's been downgraded to a category 1, but the pictures we're seeing still look fairly frightening. Any perspective yet on this storm as compared to Katrina? Be safe and hang in there.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My friend called me from western NOLA today - said the storm was pretty "light." Then again, he said Katrina wasn't all that bad either compared to his experience at ground zero for Hurricane Andrew back in early 90s. If you want to see the worst of Hurricane Katrina - you should see what it did to the MS coastline - looked like the Bandeh Aceh tsunamai.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I went through hurricane Iniki in 92... was a much stronger storm than Andrew(granted much lower population here) the "official" windspeed for iniki is much lower than how strong the storm actually was because the weather station blew away well before the storm hit full force :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
According to the local media Gustav hit as a cat 3 and went to a Cat 1 when it hit Baton Rouge and should be a tropical storm but 10 pm CST tonight. News for New Orleans, Louisiana | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com

Well to say this was lighter than Katrina depends on your perspective. It was lighter for the New Orleans area, but it was a heavy hit for the places west. Baton Rouge got a lot more than they are used to. Baton Rouge really really got hit hard. Now they didn't get "wiped out", but they took hurricane force winds head on.

High wind and rain event for me and most of us in the New Orleans area. I had one of my neighbors take a tree to the roof and it went into his living room. The winds were to hight to repair it until later. They evacuated so nobody was injured. 6-8 of us from the community cut the tree up, removed it, put plywood and tarps on his roof, and then moved his furniture and pushed all the insulation into a pile.

We are still without power (gen power here). We are being told it could be up to two weeks.

So let me sum this up.

Katrina sucked because all government failed and city flooded.

Gustav seemed milder even due to all levels of government working like they should and no flooding.

been a long day and I hope we get power back on soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts