The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Clovis said:
Yep, it's out. Thanks for the pointers and tech support. Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Disconnected battery
2. Removeed rear diffuser and underbody engine panel
3. Lifted car using appropriate rear jack points (per manual) and removed rear wheels
4. Removed rear deck lid - not necessary but made things easier
5. Disconnect and removed intake air box. Again, this made things easier
6. Removed rear driver side fender liner
7. Removed 30mm axle nuts
8. Disconnected both rear hub carriers at plinth (noted shims) and toe link ball joints
9. Pushed axle stub out of both rear hubs
10. Removed RHD driveshaft - first removed two bolts at bearing support
11. Removed LHD driveshaft - axle circlip overcome w/ leverage bar
12. Disconnected parking brake wire and removed LHD brake caliper
13. Removed LHD lower suspension/hub assembly from frame
14. Disconnected clutch slave, grounding wire, back-up light switch, and shift linkage from tranny
15. Removed inertia switch - prone to getting broken if not removed
16. Removed starter bolts and pulled starter away from transmission
17. Disconnect exhaust at flex joint
18. Secured engine with hoist
19. Loosened slightly the 8 or 9 bell housing bolts
20. Remove LHD, RHD, and rear engine mounts (w/ heat shield)
21. Tilted engine towards LHD side enough for transmission to clear frame rail at LHD wheel well
22. Supported transmission and removed bell housing bolts
23. Withdrew transmission by sliding towards LHD wheel well and lowering

I'd rate this job a 4.5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale due to tight packaging, stuborn connections, and time required.
What did you consider your most difficult steps, and could you describe them in a bit more detail when you get some time? For example, how did you really end up dealing with problem 11? Two pry bars? How placed? Did you have to use a lot of force? (I always wonder how much to force something - will it release properly or am I breaking it?) Any other tips for the rest of us would be welcome (including reassembly tips when you get to that point).

By-the-way, do you have to completely remove the transmission to replace the clutch? How about replacing the flywheel? If not, which steps could I avoid?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
yeah, you will need to move the transmission to replace the flywheel, it's bolted onto the engine side..

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
choi0706 said:
yeah, you will need to move the transmission to replace the flywheel, it's bolted onto the engine side..
Did you mean "move" (as stated above, as in move over) or "remove" (as in take out of the car) the transmission to replace the clutch and flywheel? I'm just trying to estimate the effort involved.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I don't know if you can just "move" the transmission out of the way (space contrainsts).. But by step 23, it sounds removal is required..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I did snap a lot of pictures and will be coordinating a write-up with sandsmuseum which should answer a lot of questions.

For changing the clutch/flywheel you will need to remove the transmission. Unfortunatley, the frame rail in step 21 does not allow the transmission to move enough to the LHD side to allow for a clutch install. It's gotta come out...

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Any updates on the thread with pics?

Best,

Phil

·
purveyor of lightness
4,229 Posts
To the top...

Local non-lotus exotic dealer (Aston Martin, etc) is going to do this tomorrow and I would appreciate any additional tips to pass along that might be handy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
darkSol said:
To the top...

Local non-lotus exotic dealer (Aston Martin, etc) is going to do this tomorrow and I would appreciate any additional tips to pass along that might be handy.

Thanks!
Tip #1 - be careful to lift the car by the correct lift points.

*bump*

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
it's not so bad (so far).. this tool rentable from autozone makes pulling the axle out EASY..

Clovi's write up is pretty much how you do it.. I've taken some pictures.. maybe I will do a write up..

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
ohh and PB blaster/liquid wrench works great on those splines.. I didnt even have the hammer the driver's side.. :)

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

removed the header bracket for extra room for 2 bellhousing bolts..

loosen not remove bell housing bolts

21 - 40 of 137 Posts