The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Nice write up/pics. Thank you. I'll be doing the clutch some day.

Link to Uberthread?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope you will be done before Friday... -poke-

Looking good, I'll need a clutch soon anyway! :D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
great write-up!
i hope i don't have to need it but if i do, it'll help a lot.
thanks, sam

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I hope you will be done before Friday... -poke-

Looking good, I'll need a clutch soon anyway! :D

yeah, just waiting on those toyota parts.. :wave:

all that is left is removing the mounts and pulling the gearbox out.. but for this one, I'll need to do it at my place..

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
whew... geez, removing that sucker was difficult.. folks remember to remove the 3 mounts (LHD, front , rear) COMPLETELY.. Should of gone much more smoothly if I had removed the LHD mount completely..

Some pictures..

Secure engine to a Hoist with balance bar..

I used the OE lift locations on the cylinder head (one on the left side of the exhaust, other one is next to the VVTI)

2 bolts found at Home depot.
M10 x40MM
M10 x30MM
Use washers around chain

Ohh, and grab a friend, neighbor, family member when pulling out the gearbox..

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Remove the coolant expansion bottle off to the side and remove the bracket to acess the LHD mount.. Remove it completely..

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Recap on bell housing bolts and their location..

Upper two bolts..17MM I believe
One bolt missing from a dealer install.. :(

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
two lower bolts, face RHD side

two starter bolts lower one faces the RHD the other faces LHD..

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Recap on bell housing bolts and their location..

Upper two bolts..17MM I believe
One bolt missing from a dealer install.. :(
Yes, they are 17mm. heads. Thanks for the photos and descriptions! Bummer about the missing one, as bolts with that thread seem very hard to find. I just mounted my spare engine on my engine stand and needed longer bolts for those holes. They are some kind of strange very fine thread metric bolt that my local hardware store doesn't carry. The metric coarse thread bolts they had in the correct size were way too coarse and their fine thread bolts were still too coarse.......ended up mounting up the engine with the through holes in the block flange. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Yes, they are 17mm. heads. Thanks for the photos and descriptions! Bummer about the missing one, as bolts with that thread seem very hard to find. I just mounted my spare engine on my engine stand and needed longer bolts for those holes. They are some kind of strange very fine thread metric bolt that my local hardware store doesn't carry. The metric coarse thread bolts they had in the correct size were way too coarse and their fine thread bolts were still too coarse.......ended up mounting up the engine with the through holes in the block flange. :shrug:
m12x1.25

41 - 60 of 137 Posts