The Lotus Cars Community banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Jer, no feeling of failure needed. This is NOT any easy job the first time around. I'm thinking about a new diff over teh off season and I am dreading the though of pulling the tranny again.

Regarding the first pic, I don't remember that being much of an issue. Have you seperated the axle from the hub carrier yet so that it has a a place to slide to the right? The axle should slide out of the tranny easily (no retainer clip on the RH side).

The second pic, LD side, that clip for me was a beeotch to get out. The dust sheild is flimsy and won't work. You need to get some leverage on the green part you talked about. I ended up making a wood block shaped like the green part and used 3 or 4 hose clamps to secure to the axle. That gave me a place to put my pry bar on. BTW, I used about a 2' pry bar the first time

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why is everyone so dead set on not using the proper tools for the job? These make it a piece of cake. I'm talking 30 seconds to remove the axles...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
30 seconds! It's a free rental from Autozone, that and the slide hammer. Having pulled the tranny 3 times in two weeks I learned all the shortcuts. ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
30 seconds! It's a free rental from Autozone, that and the slide hammer. Having pulled the tranny 3 times in two weeks I learned all the shortcuts. ;)
Very cool. Feel free to post all of those short cuts! ;)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I can go get that tool I assume, but how do you put it on that axle? There's no real room to work with it on the LH side. Picture?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Regarding the first pic, I don't remember that being much of an issue. Have you seperated the axle from the hub carrier yet so that it has a a place to slide to the right? The axle should slide out of the tranny easily (no retainer clip on the RH side).
I think mine is seized. A little PB blaster in between those plates would probably help. Yes, the axle is not free of the hub but the hub is free and there's lots of room for the axle to move out of the transmission. That is not the problem. I wonder if the factory equipped LSD trannies have a keeper on each side...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can go get that tool I assume, but how do you put it on that axle? There's no real room to work with it on the LH side. Picture?
Just to make sure, the left (driver's) side is out and the right (passenger's) side is stuck. If this is the case, could you remove the bolts that attach the bearing support to the engine?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The "fork" screws onto the end of the slide hammer. You then put the fork around the green section of the axle and slide the weighted portion of the hammer towards the axle, and then towards the outside of the car to "hammer" the axle horizontally out.

The first time I did it took a few hits as it was wedged in there or rusted pretty good. I did hit it with PB blaster a few times too though.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Just to make sure, the left (driver's) side is out and the right (passenger's) side is stuck. If this is the case, could you remove the bolts that attach the bearing support to the engine?
Both are stuck. I removed the bolts to the bearing support on the passenger side, but the plates appear to be stuck together HARD. I will hit that with PB Blaster, and if that doesn't work, a hammer.

The driver's side, well, I will try to get the tools you mention from Autozone.

Dunno if this is a factor, but my LSD is destroyed and chunks are in the wrong place. This could be contributing to my issues, dunno. In fact it may be possible the axle is torn up too. I will know once i get them out.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The FWD axle puller in the picture from Autozone needs to be ground down a little to fit. The slot is a tiny bit too small.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
maybe mine was well used. :) It fit with a little wiggle, ended up renting it one from two different autozones as well, both were the same on mine. ymmv

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Good progress tonight! I got the axles out, the a-arm off, wheel liner pulled, airbox out. then I ran out of gas, but the rest should come with time and effort. Thank god on the axles, both were equally hard. I know the passenger should be easy, but I had to drive wedges between the axle bracket and the bearing support bracket to break it free.

I think from here forward I'm looking a couiple hours to drop the trans. :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
4 hours to drop the trans, but it is out. finally. Taking out all three motor mounts was critical, once they were out it was straightforward. whew. Now to see how hard it will be to swap bellhousings or repair the donor trans broken holders. Oh, and get the clutch.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The donor trans had the rear motor mount female bolt holders broken out of the metal. When they took out the motor/trans from the wrecked car, they left it all hanging by the rear motor mount which couldn't take the weight. I have two options-get it rerpaired or swap bellhousings. Given that the diff sits in the bellhousing, that's probably not as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Eh, I'm going to have a tranny shop swap bellhousings. They won't charge much and it's not something I'm really excited about doing (cracking the case). I should be able to start the re-install later this week. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Done, but not without a little drama. I couldn't get the clutch beld and was getting drippped on. Turns out the slave cylinder was destroyed, boot torn and dripping. Luckily I inhereted one with the donor tranny, and still had the old one on my dead tranny. That's not an easy thing to swap on the car, but it's done and the car is alive. Thanks for all the incredible photos and help.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and especially Jay for the pics. This was an invaluable resource for the project, especially for someone who had never changed transmission fluid before, let alone a clutch. And yes the starter will come out with the motor mount still in place. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
These instruction are good and thanks for posting the process.

The dealer and local auto parts store did not carry the Toyota Part 90521-27005 for the LH drive shaft snap clip. I ended up ordering the part from: 90521-27005 - OEM Toyota RING, HOLE SNAP

A few Images of the work:
YouTube - Clutch Replacement.m4v

The innovative 85A motor mounts realignment is about the most difficult part of the job due to the precision alignment needed.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts