The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 3rd gen rx-7 and did not have any problems with the comfort level of this car, and i am just wondering if i could get some opinions on if ya'll think this car is realistically usable for more than just a toy. Can i drive it on a 2hr trip without wanting to jump out the window. I am 5'9 and 1/2" tall and only weigh about 160. I just want some opinions. I test drove an s2000 the other day and could easily live with that comfort level, but i did not find the car quick enough or rugged enough. Thanks, Aaron #55 at overseas in dallas

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
It's pretty difficult to guess someones tollerance for a harsher ride. It's very subjective. You should seek out one of the euro 111s's touring the country or test you dealers federal demo when it comes in to find out for yourself.

Edit- I can tell you that the 111s' suspension was surprisingly compliant to me. It retains unbelievable levels of steering feel while absorbing decent sized road irregularities all while not leaning too much. I've heard RX-7's are pretty firm themselves- especially the last iteration- you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I agree with JD.

I have 3rd genRX7s too, and ive driven a sport 190, they werent at all the same. The sport 190 didnt feel too bad to me, but I also have all my cars set up VERY stiff and Im used to the ride.

I'd seek one out.

Cheers
Jenn

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I drove a Euro version a few weeks back. The supsension really depends on road condition. I felt it was sports car firms but not harsh.

The engine was quite quite loud from inside the cockpit. If you have any friends with loud exhaust Hondas, it's probably about the same. Also, the Fed version has more insulation.

I don't think I'd have a hard time driving a Fed Elise from Phoenix, AZ to Los Angeles, CA, so long as the exhaust was as loud as the Euro version I test drove. Getting in and out is the challenge. Once you're in, it's quite comfortable. I'm 5'6" btw.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know where the euro demos are right now?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Small World

Aaron, by some amazing coincidence:

1. We're the same height
2. We're the same weight
3. I had a 3rd gen RX7

I drove one of the Euro Elise demos, and found it nice and snug, but not cramped. Definitely not the same comfort level or as roomy as the Mazda (or S2000 which I've driven briefly), but not terribly harsh either on the roads I used. Firm and communicative I would say. I just did the Phoenix LA round trip in a firm noisy car, about 400 miles, and I would say, yes, I'd do it in the Elise but would want to take a few breaks...:) The tough part will be when you get to the California "highways" which are really more like tank traps laid on end than a proper road surface.

Can't say about noise levels - I expect the Federal version will sound quite different from the Euro one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that is a coincidence! I just don't want to get my hopes set on this car and be dissapointed after i drive it for a month or take short hr. long trips in it. I drove the s2000 a week ago and it was very comfy, but did not have the pep i wanted. Does the elise have quite a bit more pep than the s2000 you think. ( i know you drove the euro and not the fed car, but in your honest opinion guessing)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Elise vs S2000

To be honest, it's been about 3 years since I drove the S2k, and AFAIK the Elise was just the 122 bhp version, so I don't think I could make a meaningful comparison based on the test drives. Based on the published numbers though, I would think the Elise should be a bit quicker and a lot more nimble (and please, no flames from S2k fans - it's a very nice car too...:)).

/me braces for impact, dons fireproof suit.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
ulmpharmd said:
Does the elise have quite a bit more pep than the s2000 you think. ( i know you drove the euro and not the fed car, but in your honest opinion guessing)
Again, I can't really relate to the S2000 but I felt the Euro Elise had more low-end pep than a 200hp 2.5 Boxster and slightly less than a 250hp Boxster S. At 70mph on the freeway, it really didn't have much pull -probably less than the 2.5 Boxster.
But, the Euro Elise I test drive was the 120hp version! :D

So, if you want to use 0 to 60 and a really rough and approximate measure of the cars:

the 2.5's times is in the mid-low 6.0s range,
the 120hp Elise is in the high 5.0 range, and
the Boxster is in the mid 5.0 range.

So, I'm hoping my impressions of the Euro-Elise are correct in that it falls between a 2.5 and a Boxster S in very general times. No stop watches, drag strips, or radars were used in my evaluation. ;)

Once thing is that the, despite the lightweight, Elise may need to be rev'ed and/or downshifted to get the most "passing power." It's not a high torque, big displacement engine. But..... I could be wrong about the Fed version's acceleration characteristics.

·
Registered
327 Posts
ulmpharmd said:
I have owned a 3rd gen rx-7 and did not have any problems with the comfort level of this car, and i am just wondering if i could get some opinions on if ya'll think this car is realistically usable for more than just a toy. Can i drive it on a 2hr trip without wanting to jump out the window. I am 5'9 and 1/2" tall and only weigh about 160. I just want some opinions. I test drove an s2000 the other day and could easily live with that comfort level, but i did not find the car quick enough or rugged enough. Thanks, Aaron #55 at overseas in dallas
Once you're in the Elise, you're fine. But you wouldn't want to take it to run a bunch of errands on a Saturday morning.

Get in, drive, get out, go to bank, get in, drive, get out, go to blockbuster to return movies, get in, drive, get out, go to auto parts store for car wash, get in, drive, get out, get a fajita at Taco Bell, get in, drive, get out, pick up your dry cleaning, get in, drive, get out, stop off for 2 liter bottle of soda and deodorant, get in, drive, get out, get bee killer spray from hardware store, get in, drive, get out at home. THAT WOULD BE WORK!! .. and a total pain in the ass.

If you're driving from Carmel to Reno without stopping, you'd probably have a lot of fun.

As for the S2000 not being "rugged" enough. Hmmm -- the Elise is the epitome of fragile -- Or so they say.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am 6'2" and 210 LB and I drove a 111S in Europe. That car will has a stiffer suspension than the US one, and I had no problems with it. But I like a stiff ride.

I think a two hour drive on the highway will be exceedingly boring, and when you have the sport exhaust, exceedingly tiring, because of the loud drone of the sport exhaust. These cars belong on secondary roads.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm 6 ft 2, 200 lbs, and I am 56 years old. I have toured all over Europe in my S1 with my wife for 3 summer vacations, with many 4-5 hour stretches between fillups. I have done 900 miles around the coast of UK in 36 hours, only stopping for fillups. I get no more stiff or uncomfortable in the Elise than I do in any other car when you sit in one seat for that long. I have the original seat with minimal padding, so I do have a small cushion for each seat that I sit on or can move around as required. I just do not find it "harsher" - "firmer" yes, but everyone I take out says "Oh, I thought it was going to be much worse".

Oh, and I also have the Sports Suspension and much lower ride height ! And sports exhaust and non standard air intake.
As far as noise is concerned, Elise owners are renowned for having the roofs off in all weathers except the extremes. It is just an Elise 'thing" (probably because they are such a pain to put on and take off !!) I have driven London to Scotland (600 miles) non stop except one refill, with the roof off, in mid winter. I wore thermal underwear I use in Russia, ski gloves, etc, and had a great trip. Noise - course there is noise - there is always noise in any car with the roof down. That is why you need a good sounding exhaust !! If you don't like the noise, put ear plugs in !! We also have a small intercom which we use - makes it easier to communicate. Also fits inside helmets when on track days so you can chat instead of yelling.
Hans Stuck is right - It is short journeys that are difficult, with the repeated getting in and out.

Just enjoy the car for what it is. Once you have one you will see why we do not compare our cars with all those other ones - I am not being down on the other cars - There just isn't any comparison to be made. But only an Elise owner understands that !! I think Ferraris and Porsches and TT's and Miatas etc etc are wonderful cars - but I don't want one. I want an Elise. And when you have one, you will understand what I mean. :D It is like being a parent - non parents can say they understand, and think they understand, but until you actually ARE a parent, then you really understand, and you smile quietly when non-parents say "I know what it is like" because you know they do not really understand !!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Do you have the A048R tires - and if so how do you find them on the street, especially on wet roads???

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love this board. You all have great input and comments and you are making my wait much more bearable.

However you're putting me back on the LSS fence with comments like "Oh, and I also have the Sports Suspension and much lower ride height" combined with "everyone I take out says "Oh, I thought it was going to be much worse"". You're killing me here. I was just about set on not getting the LSS because it was going to be too rough even though I love the wheels and I do plan on tracking it once in a while.

Being #25 in Ohio will give me a little longer to contemplate my options. I'm looking forward to test driving one or both setups to see fo myself.

Now, about those colors... (damn) ;)

Jim

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
jdw5155 said:
However you're putting me back on the LSS fence with comments like "Oh, and I also have the Sports Suspension and much lower ride height" combined with "everyone I take out says "Oh, I thought it was going to be much worse"". You're killing me here. I was just about set on not getting the LSS because it was going to be too rough even though I love the wheels and I do plan on tracking it once in a while.

Jim
Might want to be a little careful there. Correct me here people, but from what I understand the Fed elise will get a suspension that is very firm (almost to the levels of the S2 LSS) already, and the fed LSS takes it beyond that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, I agree with Babak and all - I think Arno or someone mentioned that the original LSS on an S1 or S2 may be different from that on the Federal Elise, but who really knows ? It is just impossible to tell and compare. I cannot believe that "the Fed elise will get a suspension that is very firm (almost to the levels of the S2 LSS) already, and the fed LSS takes it beyond that" - the car was already firm on the original - for it to be any firmer would make it totally unsuitable for most bpeople on the road !!So I do repeat what I have been saying on these threads for some time that you should take a standard car, drive it for a while, and see if you really need to change it. I was originally going to get all these upgrades to mine from new, and then decided to take the standard car, and am so glad that I did. By using it, I found out what I needed, and what I didn't need, and have thus ended up after 3 years plus) with exactly the car I want - And it is NOT what I would have bought if I had done it blind in the beginning. The Elise is just so different from any other car that until you have driven it and owned it a while, you really don't have a bench mark to compare it against.
Giles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry, forgot to respond to Ivan - I have got Yokohama Advan Neovas on mine. Just getting used to them after 4 years on P Zeros, so can't really tell yet, and no wet roads yet (Australian Summer !!) But in the dry they are great.
Giles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts