The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for a 2005/2006 black or white Elise. I am not having much luck finding one And losing faith. So the question is do I buy one of a different color and get it wrapped or painted? Any thoughts on what’s better for an Elise to wrap or to paint? Resale value, looks etc.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I am guessing you want a 2005-6 so you can import it into Canada. I would just buy the best one you can find, drive it for a while and then see if you still want to change the color.
I wanted a Storm Titanium, but couldn’t find one and ended up with Ardent Red, which is actually a very good color for the Elise, kind of grows on you.

Reactions: Rudygon and goelise

·
Administrator
2,732 Posts
Wrapping would give your the color you want, protection for the paint and the ability to market it in two colors if you were to ever sell it.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Catsailr makes a lot of sense. Personally, I would pass over buying an Elise that had been painted a different color code than factory. Plus, with vinyl you can go with satin or matte which is trendy now. Not sure how good vinyl would look gloss though, especially black.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wrapping would give your the color you want, protection for the paint and the ability to market it in two colors if you were to ever sell it.
I’m curious if anyone has removed a wrap from an Exige / Elise. My concern would be the paint coming off with the vinyl as the paint quality doesn’t seem to be the best

·
Administrator
2,732 Posts
From everything I've read removing wrap won't damage your paint. PPF on the other hand can damage paint and leave residue that is also hard to remove the older it gets.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Wrap is significantly cheaper than paint, and if done right, most people won't be able to tell the difference. I've had quite a few people be genuinely surprised when I told them the color on my car is a wrap, not paint.

·
He's on fire!
3,328 Posts
For resale value, wrap is going to be better than respraying to a new color. Expect you'll likely have to remove the wrap as part of the sale, I know I'd insist on it if I was buying a wrapped car (or I'd factor in the cost of a respray). For looks I think paint is better. Most of the time I can tell a wrap within 10 ft (seams, edgework)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am guessing you want a 2005-6 so you can import it into Canada. I would just buy the best one you can find, drive it for a while and then see if you still want to change the color.
I wanted a Storm Titanium, but couldn’t find one and ended up with Ardent Red, which is actually a very good color for the Elise, kind of grows on you.
Same here. I ended up with Starlight Black which was #3 or #4 on my color list. Now I only like black cars

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black Metallic, touring pack. Build date July 2, 2004, number 178
12 Posts
Same here. I ended up with Starlight Black which was #3 or #4 on my color list. Now I only like black cars

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I had the exact same experience. I was on a hunt initially for a silver or gray one but came across a Starlight Black Metallic one locally and fell in love with it. She was gracious enough to come home with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the exact same experience. I was on a hunt initially for a silver or gray one but came across a Starlight Black Metallic one locally and fell in love with it. She was gracious enough to come home with me.
View attachment 1277761
The Elise looks so Sharp in black! I am still hoping a Starlight black one comes along For me! This car really looks good in any color!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 1277761
I really like what you’ve done with the hood turn signal. Are they fibreglassEd over or is the lens smoked?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Plastidip and other removable coatings have come a long way. Is there a reason to entirely not consider this direction?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

I am looking for a 2005/2006 black or white Elise. I am not having much luck finding one And losing faith. So the question is do I buy one of a different color and get it wrapped or painted? Any thoughts on what’s better for an Elise to wrap or to paint? Resale value, looks etc.
thanks!
Been looking for six months, seen plenty of black but never white in any year. I'm in the same boat,I only want a bright color, and would totally wrap not paint. I got quotes around 3-4k for a wrap job on the west coast in plain colors. Things like satin or matte finish can easily get up around 8000. I think they look great but the cost and maintenance hassle mean I can't go that route.

The good news is black on an Elise is better than most blacks. And they seem to sell cheaper than the bright colors. If I were you I'd hold out for a real black one, no wrap will look as nice imho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been looking for six months, seen plenty of black but never white in any year. I'm in the same boat,I only want a bright color, and would totally wrap not paint. I got quotes around 3-4k for a wrap job on the west coast in plain colors. Things like satin or matte finish can easily get up around 8000. I think they look great but the cost and maintenance hassle mean I can't go that route.

The good news is black on an Elise is better than most blacks. And they seem to sell cheaper than the bright colors. If I were you I'd hold out for a real black one, no wrap will look as nice imho.
What are your color choices. I have seen some orange. There is a really nice yellow here on LT for sale.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What are your color choices. I have seen some orange. There is a really nice yellow here on LT for sale.
Yeah orange is great, yellow too, silver is OK. I got turned on to the magnetic blue too late,I let the perfect one get sold cheap right by my parents house last year 😕

I saw the yellow one here but it's over my budget, thanks though!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah orange is great, yellow too, silver is OK. I got turned on to the magnetic blue too late,I let the perfect one get sold cheap right by my parents house last year 😕

I saw the yellow one here but it's over my budget, thanks though!
Oh ya the magnetic blue is really nice! Don’t see too many in that color. I have let two slip through my fingers, a really nice low miles black and a very good condition storm titanium. I learned that lesson and won’t wait to make a move next time.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black Metallic, touring pack. Build date July 2, 2004, number 178
12 Posts
I really like what you’ve done with the hood turn signal. Are they fibreglassEd over or is the lens smoked?
previous owner did that and all it is is dark window tint film. I had never heard of that being done before but it actually looks pretty cool and you can still see the turn signal light clearly when on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts