The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise (Chrome Orange)
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading threads on recommended alignment specifications for the Elise/Exige platform and I am left wondering how the community is measuring their toe. Toe is an angle of measurement (ie. degrees or minutes) and providing a "linear toe" specification without reference to the method of measurement means nothing. If I measure 1mm toe on a 24" toe plate you will have a completely different toe measurement than if I am measuring 1mm of toe off the 17" wheel rim (ie. string method). Heck even 1mm across a 16" wheel is more toe than 1mm accross a 17" wheel, though the difference is insignificant. So basically when people offer up "linear toe" specs what is the assumption?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Product Rectangle Font Line Material property

Some numbers to illustrate the differences, if you note Toe Plate (TP) Total toe compared to Wheel Diameter (WD) Total toe. I prefer measuring in mm as its just easier math when actually doing the alignments.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
From Lotus service notes:

"Alignment is measured either by the angle a wheel makes with the vehicle centre line, or the difference in
dimension between the wheel rim to wheel rim measurement at the front and rear of the wheel at hub centre
height.
"

I always specify degrees when taking the car in, but otherwise I would generally assume people are basing on the OE wheel size.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,225 Posts
View attachment 1315071
Some numbers to illustrate the differences, if you note Toe Plate (TP) Total toe compared to Wheel Diameter (WD) Total toe. I prefer measuring in mm as its just easier math when actually doing the alignments.
As was said work in degrees and do the trigonometry.Then you can work over whatever distance you like.Rear toe is .16 deg per side for Elise.2 for Exige,use .2 according to Lotus.
I think if you do the math the factory basis toe on factory rim sizes when they convert degrees to a dimension in mm.
Unless you have spherical bearings in good shape on your control arms your wheels move around so much more than those small differences you noted.

·
Banned
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
2,780 Posts
As was said work in degrees and do the trigonometry.Then you can work over whatever distance you like.Rear toe is .16 deg per side for Elise.2 for Exige,use .2 according to Lotus.
I think if you do the math the factory basis toe on factory rim sizes when they convert degrees to a dimension in mm.
Unless you have spherical bearings in good shape on your control arms your wheels move around so much more than those small differences you noted.
This is a big note on the bearings. If you have any sort of stock / rubber mounted bushings, the wheels move a heck of a lot unless they’re brand spanking new. For example, my caster on my front, with the same shims, brand new, changed over 1.2 just from hard braking from shooting it from one day to another.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From Lotus service notes:
"Alignment is measured either by the angle a wheel makes with the vehicle centre line, or the difference in
dimension between the wheel rim to wheel rim measurement at the front and rear of the wheel at hub centre
height.
"
Thank you, just wanted to make sure I was speaking the same language.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts