The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get signed up for more track days, only been out twice so far on a relatively easy track in my 05' elise with 20K miles on the dot. Only mods done so far is AO48 tires and RC5+ pads front and rear.

I want the toelinks first as they seem the most important and since I am not the fastest driver thinking a GPAN or similar might be more than i need for now.

Sector 111 offers toe links and the full brace, and BOE also has toelinks(that also cost less)
What setup should I get, does this need to be done ASAP before next track day or just get it done soon since I am starting to drive harder and next two track days finally have elevation etc.

I suck with anything mechanical so will be taking these to the shop to have done, so would one kit cost more or less to be installed? Just don't want to buy the BOE kit and it costs $200 more to install and doens't work as well as the sector 111 kit.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i believe the three most important mods are.

#1 toe link brace due to possible failure
#2 fuel tank mod or surge tank due fuel starvation can cause engine damage.
#3 better oil pan to stop oil starvation and engine damage.

I did following

lotus factory toe link brace
BOE surge tank
BOE oil pan

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
What is it about the toe link that actually fails? Is it the body side joint that breaks? I see that sector111 reuses the outer joint but replaces the body side joint with what looks like an aurora joint.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Note on BOE toe link (which is the part I installed myself), requires you use a drill to widen the existing hole to a 7/16 hole through your frame and rear a-arm bushings. I didn't mind this step, and I liked the beefier material of the larger diameter bolt. Overall the labor should be similar on either toe-link part. Any toe-link installation will require a 4 wheel alignment afterwards, but this is not a major penalty, many Lotus cars left the factory with a poor alignment. Even if you did not change your toe-links, I would suggest you get a proper alignment for track use.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
What is it about the toe link that actually fails? Is it the body side joint that breaks? I see that sector111 reuses the outer joint but replaces the body side joint with what looks like an aurora joint.
The inboard bolt fails. The brace secures them by greatly reducing any lateral forces.

Here's what happens when one fails at about 110, and a very good driver (Sandro) steers the car going backwards away from the wall:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The toe-link breakage videos give me the willies every time I view them. Most of them don't end as nicely as the one you posted.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i think the above is called a half link? BOE sells both - but reccomends full links for track, 1/2 links for street. I have the BOE full links, aircraft quality materials ,and I'm liking them. I also have a BOE surge tank, which incorporates a Walbro 255? fuel pump. I have the stock oil pan. Wish I had a cool oil pan, but it's a road car. Get the links as a minimum.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Do the full BOE links and spend the rest of you money on track time and instruction. You're no where near the limit that Lotus designed, so go enjoy it. If you start tracking it regularly there are lots of things you'll want from harnesses to wheel studs, etc.

If you keep running th R888s consider an oil pan upgrade. Know any other Lotus guys from your local track? See what they're running.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
IMO, unless your dropping a wheel, or riding the curbs regularly the stock links are just fine. Just make sure they're torqued appropriately.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sector 111 setup is on backorder for the next couple weeks.

Just keep the fuel tank close to full, no need to drop big $$ on a surge tank IMO. I have only noticed fuel starvation if I'm at 1/4 tank or less and hard turns, one direction worse than the other, left turn I think?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
yes, left turn for both fuel and oil starvation.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I suck with anything mechanical so will be taking these to the shop to have done, so would one kit cost more or less to be installed? Just don't want to buy the BOE kit and it costs $200 more to install and doens't work as well as the sector 111 kit.
I actually bought the DSBrace from S111 & installing it today...

ill leave feedback here once its finished

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well at the very least I think i will upgrade the Toe Link kits, also looking now at the 2 peice mounts from sector111 and the re-enforcer shifter brace to get slightly better feel.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If your' putting in an order to Sector 111 and looking to improve the shifter feel. especially for track use I would suggest also getting the sport motor mount inserts. Those along with the tranny fluid change (magic elixer) and the re-inforcer made a world of difference to the shifting on my Elise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What Rondo said. I did the Stan's shifter mod, transelixir and sport inserts, along with Jim Clayton's big shift knob - it's like a new/better transmission and linkage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yes, left turn for both fuel and oil starvation.
If I am remembering correctly, the oil pickup is on the passenger side of the motor. Thus right hand turns will slosh oil to the driver's side, away from the pickup, not left hand turns.

However, I believe the fuel pump is on the driver's side, thus left hand turns would starve the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Schumi,
You are on the mark, oil pickup is on the right hand side (passenger) of the car. You made me go out and crawl around on the ground to confirm it. Fuel pump is in the left hand side (driver) of the car. Funny I didn't remember that, I installed my gPan2 myself. That is what I get for posting at 2:36 AM, well past my bedtime.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What Rondo said. I did the Stan's shifter mod, transelixir and sport inserts, along with Jim Clayton's big shift knob - it's like a new/better transmission and linkage.
Oh yeah, and the Sector DSBrace to reinforce the inner toe links. Could not have been easier to install (other than needing an alignment afterwards).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here at Radium Engineering, we did not set out to build the fastest track car. We use our car as a test bed for our performance parts. As a result, we take it on the track often in order to push our parts to the extremes not possible with street driving. Over the years we have added several components to help the car keep up with the engine. Here is the short list:
1. toe links and brace from Sector 111
-We found that the DOT slick tires were loading the suspension so much that the factory toe links were flexing and causing the rear tires to misalign (in toe direction). This resulted in the inside sidewalls of the tires shaving on the frame.

2. DOT Slick Tires
-The full potential of the 111 chassis cannot be fully exploited without grippy tires. Great options from Hankook, Kumho and more.

3. 5 point harness
-This may require a harness bar for the shoulder belts. We ended up fabricating one. Safety is critical.

4. Motul RBF600 brake fluid
-We used to boil the brake fluid every track day, now the pedal stays firm throughout the session. I would consider this mandatory.

5. Aftermarket oil pan
-If you saw the inside of the stock oil pan you would know immediately why it is not adequate. Not only the improved baffling, but the added capacity of the aftermarket pans help spread the thermal load to more fluid which is a good thing. These cars are easy to oil starve, so this is also mandatory.

6. Radium Fuel Surge Tank :)
-Fuel starvation is a problem. This is a solution.

7. A good toolbox with tools that you need to remove the diffuser, change the wheels, check tire pressure, etc.

8. Sector 111 pedal kit
-we found it almost impossible to heel-toe rev match with the stock pedals. These pedals from S111 are going in next week and we think they will solve this issue.

9. Brake pads
-We use Cobalt brand pads. Looks like you have addressed this already.

10. A Radium Engineering tubocharger kit....:)

The list can go on and on, but these were the most important things for us and the driving we do. Hope it was somewhat helpful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts