The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Very nice. Man I wish they offered a manual transmission.
I hear you, I love a manual. Only way to really experience a car.

But, I’m not sure I want it with over 500 hp. I make my mistakes shifting, we all do. I can imagine things getting out of hand.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope your orange car will have the reliability of the red car, please keep us posted on the long term ownership cost - I looked at some great Mclaren deals but didn't pull the trigger yet as she still likes the Exige.

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
I hear you, I love a manual. Only way to really experience a car.

But, I’m not sure I want it with over 500 hp. I make my mistakes shifting, we all do. I can imagine things getting out of hand.
I don't know about that, there's so much more control over the car with the manual.

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
After test driving Aston Vantage auto, I thought I'd like it more in stick format.

But, then I realized that if I wanted it to be very different from my other (cheap) cars, maybe that auto trans wouldn't be such a bad thing,

Next year, it's my choice. Note tho that the stick saves ~ 180 lbs.
---

Not sure one has less control with auto (AM's is a real auto) given how quickly some of them respond. Only some tho....

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
After test driving Aston Vantage auto, I thought I'd like it more in stick format.

But, then I realized that if I wanted it to be very different from my other (cheap) cars, maybe that auto trans wouldn't be such a bad thing,

Next year, it's my choice. Note tho that the stick saves ~ 180 lbs.
---

Not sure one has less control with auto (AM's is a real auto) given how quickly some of them respond. Only some tho....
It's not about the speed that the transmission can shift, it's about being able to manage power with both the throttle and clutch. I far prefer driving a manual car in the snow, for instance, for the easy way I can control wheel slip with the clutch. The more power, the more valuable it is.

Plus, there's this

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Had this discussion while riding around in Spark (name we gave the Mac). So many things I enjoy about a manual, I drive it in my Honda Civic Si most day.

In the Aston Vantage, there is that gaping opening in the console waiting for the stick.

I took a very serious look at a Vantage, dark green with a really nice saddle leather interior. The German stuff is very nice and all that but not too comfortable to me.

We sat in the about to be traded Lexus LC500 at the Aston/Bentley dealer in Charlotte making the decision. ”If we get that Aston, I will look at it as the car that kept me from getting that McLaren”. I wanted that Lotus like quality again. And we got it. Plenty similarity to the feel of an Evora.

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
It's not about the speed that the transmission can shift, it's about being able to manage power with both the throttle and clutch. I far prefer driving a manual car in the snow, for instance, for the easy way I can control wheel slip with the clutch. The more power, the more valuable it is.

Plus, there's this
Yes, you're right on both counts.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Plus, there's this

While I agree you can do what you say for control, it isn't the right way. Traction control systems with individual wheel braking and requested torque limiting/control are superior in low adhesion scenarios. You also don't make an already sacrificial component more sacrificial.

Stick+clutch manuals are fun for driving because it gives us something to do and it's a very satisfying experience, but it just does not have a technical advantage anywhere anymore, except maybe in complexity/price. In a vehicle with a $6000 clutch replacement cost though, that's a tough sell.

I'm actually exploring following them down this path myself. I've gotten some gut shots as to what the 1st gen Evoras are viewed as worth though while I do it.

·
Less is Better
2,439 Posts
While I agree you can do what you say for control, it isn't the right way. Traction control systems with individual wheel braking and requested torque limiting/control are superior in low adhesion scenarios. You also don't make an already sacrificial component more sacrificial.

Stick+clutch manuals are fun for driving because it gives us something to do and it's a very satisfying experience, but it just does not have a technical advantage anywhere anymore, except maybe in complexity/price. In a vehicle with a $6000 clutch replacement cost though, that's a tough sell.

I'm actually exploring following them down this path myself. I've gotten some gut shots as to what the 1st gen Evoras are viewed as worth though while I do it.
I didn't intend for this to be a long conversation, sorry to @XHILR8N! for hijacking your thread, but I disagree with you that controlling torque application with the clutch "isn't the right way". Replacing skill with technology not only dulls one's ability to correctly deal with a situation, it also further removes the enjoyment from driving. I hope I never get to the point where I just stab the throttle and let the car take care of everything else for me.

I also disagree that the clutch and shifter are simply giving the driver "something to do" for the same reasons.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Torque management with a manual is like brake management without ABS. Both are skills, and somebody doing it the right way can do things that the algorithm isn't smart enough to allow.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No problem if the thread meanders. The whole manual/auto thing is quite significant to a lot of us. If Lotus move further in the direction of McLaren (serious power for a stock street car) the manual will be further pressured to fade away.

I hope Honda still makes a manual for me to take to the grocery store though.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And to meander further, I’d like to add the Mac to my signature, but this new program wants to remove four lines to let me do it. I don’t need a new line, just a few letters.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts