The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start off by saying that I did a search and found 11 threads on gps but none really addressed my concerns and since I've narrowed my options to only (2), my question is...which one? :shrug:

I travel a lot from almost anywhere in the U.S., Canada and Europe and although the cars I've rented had the Garmin which I had no problem using, I thought it'd be a good idea to finally get one of my own.

First thing I did was search TomTom's website and saw their most expensive one which is the GO 930T and only $549.95 with the only difference between that and the GO 930 ($499.95) is the traffic receiver on the T.

Now, I go to Garmin's website and it was a little difficult to navigate but figured it out however, not their prices -eek- With TomTom you figure the higher model number you go, the higher the price and more features but Garmin has the Nuvi 880 at $899.99 and the Nuvi 5000 at $857.13 and with prices fluctuating in models, I didn't even want to bother reading the features for each one as there were many models to choose from.

So if anyone has experience with both, I'd love to hear your comments or suggestions, Thank you

PS-Did I mentioned that my friend has the TomTom with different voices like Ozzy Osborne, Homer Simpson and a few others that forget and they are all very funny...especially if you missed the turn, LOL

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Experience with Tom Tom... good. Funny voices get old after a bit.

Experience with Garmin Nuvi, really like it. I have the massive 7" touch version.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm not familiar with the TomTom systems, but I've had quite a bit of experience with Garmin models. If you have a choice, get one that uses text-to-speech for the road names -- it makes a huge difference over a beep or a "turn in .1 miles", especially in the city when there are streets separated by short distances. Otherwise, one has a tendency to turn too quickly, and have to re-route] The more expensive (and newer) Garmin models all have text-to-speech capabilities.

As many folks in other threads have noted, for portable units, the Nuvi's are very good.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I hear ya, it's rather absurd how many Garmin models there [email protected]#

But I guess they just try to cover all their bases.

I'd probably lean towards getting one that has bluetooth (as i think work with cell phones or something?).

If I had the need for one on a regular basis I'd probably go for a top model.

But I'm holding out fora while..
..as I think there's a new contender coming onto the market.
- they say the next iPod Touch might have GPS!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Has anyone used the 'social networking' aspects of the Tom Tom? I've heard that you can download community updates to the maps from the internet. To me this makes the Tom Tom much more valuable. While the maps that all of these guys buy are, in general, pretty good, lots of stuff tends to happen between the updates. Stores close, streets close, etc. By allowing the folks who live near the Albertson's that just closed to upload that so other folks could download it, it feels like the Tom Tom has a big advantage. I just don't know how it works in real life (and since I've got that Mio Digiwalker from Randy, I'm not inclined to do the research myself, although I am thinking of upgrading.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it basically comes down to how good the maps are. I find TomTom has better European maps. But Garmin has better US/CAN maps. The rest of the features are just bling. If you want to look at an innovative gps device, check out Dash GPS. It has a monthly service fee, but that gets you connected. I currently use the Garmin 250W, 660, and Dash GPS in my various vehicles.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have used both and prefer the Garmin. I now have a nüvi® 680 and am very happy with it. I would suggest you get a navigator with a bigger/wider screen so that you have less difficulty seeing it while driving. I agree that you should get a model that speaks street names. I have not activated the optional FM traffic, so perhaps someone else can comment on that feature.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Garmin usually does better in tests.

Garmin:

Good screen, good test>voice instructions, BUT:

My cheap Mio had features missing from the Garmin 660 that I have:

1. I could mark speed traps

2. I could tell Mio to avoid a specific road; Garmin allows "no hwys, unpaved roads" etc, but that doesn't suffice.

Traffic: Works OK in areas that have good reporting, will route you around jams if possible

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Nuvi 360. Nice unit but I'm not happy with their customer service. My next one will be another brand and TomTom will be on the short list.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
not to throw the thread off...but I LOVE my Dash. I am replacing the Tom Tom in my Lotus with one after having such a great experience with the one in my STi.

Dash: The Only Internet Connected Automotive GPS - Drive Smart!

Live traffic data, taken from actual vehicle speeds from users. So as you drive down the road you are sending your data in real time for other users to see. Saves my ass everyday in tough LA traffic. It is 24/7 connected to the internet and you can search via Yahoo anything. You can also send addresses to it from your computer. So, read about a restaurant review, highlight addres, right click and it sends it auto to your Dash. Very cool, love mine. Also love my Tomtom, but it's now just a dumb box that isn't connected to the internet.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My criteria's for a GPS unit are as follows:

1. Need to be able to use in North America and Europe
2. Needs to have Bluetooth capabilities
3. Needs to be portable
4. Need to be able to purchase for under $600

And I'm sure there are other criteria's that I'm missing but I'm too lazy to look up however, if it has all four of my criteria's then the rest is just icing on the cake for me.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'm sticking with the TomTom because it's on my phone (Centro) - so basically, I don't have to carry around 2 devices. It works very well in the route planning and tracking, and is reasonably fast. However, not great when looking for businesses on a particular route.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
not to throw the thread off...but I LOVE my Dash. I am replacing the Tom Tom in my Lotus with one after having such a great experience with the one in my STi.

Dash: The Only Internet Connected Automotive GPS - Drive Smart!

Live traffic data, taken from actual vehicle speeds from users. So as you drive down the road you are sending your data in real time for other users to see. Saves my ass everyday in tough LA traffic. It is 24/7 connected to the internet and you can search via Yahoo anything. You can also send addresses to it from your computer. So, read about a restaurant review, highlight addres, right click and it sends it auto to your Dash. Very cool, love mine. Also love my Tomtom, but it's now just a dumb box that isn't connected to the internet.
That looks like a great system!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm selling a Garmin Nuvi 350 for $175 if anyone interested...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a Nuvi 360. Nice unit but I'm not happy with their customer service. My next one will be another brand and TomTom will be on the short list.
When I fried one 660 trying to transfer data files the Garmin 800-line people spent 25 minutes helping me get it working again and it was one of the best customer service experiences I have had recently. A++

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My criteria's for a GPS unit are as follows:

1. Need to be able to use in North America and Europe
2. Needs to have Bluetooth capabilities
3. Needs to be portable
4. Need to be able to purchase for under $600

And I'm sure there are other criteria's that I'm missing but I'm too lazy to look up however, if it has all four of my criteria's then the rest is just icing on the cake for me.
$280 Nuvi 660 :up: Don't waste your money on the other needless crap

1 - 20 of 30 Posts