The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, I can go weeks without getting any crazy attention in the car.
Not tonight.
I was out cruising around the beach, stopped at a red light, an SUV full of college girls pulls up next to me blowing the horn.
"Hey, what kind of car is that?"
"It's a Lotus."
pause... "Oh, like 'Pretty Woman' ! "
"Yep" :rolleyes:

10 minutes later, I'm driving home. I see a kid in an SUV sitting on the doorsill taking pictures with a cell phone.

A few minutes later, I get to another redlight. An SUV pulls up behind me, three kids get out and start running around the car at the light taking pictures.
Two of them are standing in front of my car when the light turns green.
I start laughing and pointing at the green light. rotfl

Later on, I'm almost home. I notice a Mercedes in my mirror that's been in my mirror at the last few intersections.
The guy follows me home, to my door. Get's out with a big grin on his face.
That's the 3rd time I've been followed home. It always makes me nervous when they do that. Although, this guy WAS driving an AMG Mercedes.
We talked for a minute. That was it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
lol could have been dificult to lose him though... i would stop and get out the car like a crazy rican wielding my butterfly knife...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I always stop in by a semi crowded place if I think I'm being followed, and if I am, talk to them for a bit if they stop. :up:

·
Registered
278 Posts
For a moment there, I thought it was going to be the SUV full of college girls that followed you home. In my book, that's the makings of a much more interesting story...

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's even worse when you have a red one.

It's too much attention.
You cant really take the car anywhere................and you CANNOT leave it unattended.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For a moment there, I thought it was going to be the SUV full of college girls that followed you home. In my book, that's the makings of a much more interesting story...
one that could make you some money with a decent video camera..:nanner:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You cant really take the car anywhere................and you CANNOT leave it unattended.
:rolleyes:
You might be overstating things a little bit. I've got almost 45k miles on mine over 3 years and have left it unattended plenty of times including long-term airport parking. IMHO as long as you avoid parallel parking things will be ok - of course everyone else is entitled to their own risk/reward analysis.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That's because your car is Storm Titanium... duh.
...don't be jealous, man...

...on a less facetious note, last summer when i first got mehve, i constantly noticed people staring, taking pictures, following me, asking questions - just a continual barrage of attention no matter where i went nor what i did...these days, i rarely notice unusual attention, but i suspect that in actuality it's just a prevalent as it used to be, i've just acclimated and tend to tune it out...

...it's probably less an artifact of the storm titanium color and more an artifact of daily driving it for such a long time...

·
Registered
246 Posts
:rolleyes:
You might be overstating things a little bit. I've got almost 45k miles on mine over 3 years and have left it unattended plenty of times including long-term airport parking. IMHO as long as you avoid parallel parking things will be ok - of course everyone else is entitled to their own risk/reward analysis.
Its the Bay Area, methinks. Was mentally prepared for more of an onslaught after reading LT for a while before purchasing. When you see some dude rooting around in his ferrari 360 at a 76 off 101, with no one paying any particular attention (accept the guy driving by in an Elise rotfl), I guess it indicates some level of desensitization in our area.

We'll see if I rate high enough now to get a spot in the SFYC parking lot on a regatta weekend...that will be the true test.

Edit: and btw, the practical part of me is glad i don't get a ton of attention...but the impractical part says, well, "I drive a Lotus. Show me your tits" :)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
This has happened to us all, I'm sure, but never go home until the tail is gone.

-Robert

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I drove my early delivery Ardent Red Elise all over the midwest and down to the Tail of The Dragon for over two years and other than the occasional nod or comment at a gas station no one gave it any major attention. People must be kind of crazy in Florida.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a magnetic blue Elise...

Less attention was given to it when I drove it on a daily basis versus the first few weeks I bought it but pictures were still taken frequently and I was still asked questions everywhere I stopped.

I'm cautious on where I park the car - Since owning this car I've never parked in the middle of the lot. I either park front row or the most visible and safest spot in the back. I hate having to put on and take off my top, if my top is down I usually leave it down.

But people's reactions are different city by city. They are also different after seeing the car on the road daily too. For the sake of that, miles on the car, and tire wear I'm going to drive my daily driver everyday. It's so hard to do but I must!!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
EXACTLY.

·
Registered
120 Posts
People must be kind of crazy in Florida.
Well, his profile says NW florida... most of that area is middle of nowhere. Think about it... south GA and AL border it for godsakes :panic: It's pretty much FSU and crops. :)

This is not to say that the rest of florida isn't crazy, but there's a lot more variety in cars once you hit orlando and points south, so people go crazy over different things down there, like plastic surgery and drug running.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can we go back to the part about the SUV full of college girls? :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts