The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased an Elise and on the drive back got a ton of rock chips. I have an album up here with a bunch of the photos. Disregard the discoloration, the color is fine--pics are from a cell phone that can't color balance vs an LED flash light. Keep in mind this is the harshest light to highlight the chips.. they are harder to see unless you are looking for them like I am.

The rest of the car is in great condition, but I'd like to get this fixed!

The pics are mostly of the front clam, with a lot of chips on it. The rear rocker panels are completely plastered, I think they would require a ton of sanding and a complete respray.

I would like to fix the chips and protect them with a 3m/star shield solution.

Does anyone have experience/advice with this? Should I just DIY fix most of the chips? Any idea of the cost of this, and or places around Seattle/Bellevue for non DIY work/guestimates?

I did look around for other threads, but I couldn't really find before/after examples to compare to my own situation.

Album here

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Honestly a professional respray of the lower front clam and sills is your best option. That way you can fix the gravel rash on the chin at the same time too. Doing it properly will also give the best foundation for the 3M application.

I'd suggest a budget of $600 - $800 to have it done but you could reduce that if you do a lot of the prep yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly a professional respray of the lower front clam and sills is your best option. That way you can fix the gravel rash on the chin at the same time too. Doing it properly will also give the best foundation for the 3M application.

I'd suggest a budget of $600 - $800 to have it done but you could reduce that if you do a lot of the prep yourself.
Thanks for the input! I do agree it would be nice to have it 'perfect' before the 3M.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yep, I would respray the front clam (they can do it clam on).

Then add starshield.

And you MUST get SirLotus' underclam protectors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I would respray the front clam (they can do it clam on).

Then add starshield.

And you MUST get SirLotus' underclam protectors.
They looked great! Ordered some. Time to hunt around for a good shop.

Can the respray be done on both the lower front clam + rocker panels without removing anything? (ie like front clam)

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
They will probably need to remove the front clam to spray the bottom. Its a few hours to remove and replace.

The rocker panels are bonded on and will need to be sprayed in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts