The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into purchasing a lotus but I don't know what the value on them are right now.

I know the car has been out for awhile now in the market but I'd prefer something that isn't older than an 05.

Also I don't know whether I should just pick up a base Lotus elise or opt for the Exige. I know the exige comes offering more performance but I'm wondering if that's even worth it.

Anyways...how much should I expect to be spending to get a base Lotus elise or if i do decide to get the exige.... how much more will that cost me?

P.S. I'm thinking about using the car for track purposes so should i just pick up a salvaged one?

Sorry for all the question guys! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you just joined this site today and already 2 threads started with the same stupid questions that have been asked and answered many times....spend a month reading everything on this site that you can, then if you still have questions ask....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
First, I would like to start out by saying that I, too, pee freely.

Secondly, as Mr. Garrison once said to Cartman, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. I'm pretty stupid too.

Third, The Elise is only available in the US from 05 onward. The Exige came in at 06 which means that it will run more expensive simply because of year.

The Elise is a hoot to drive. It makes monkeys wiggle, it attracts girls, it makes people angry with you for having a nice car, it drives well in strong winds, and it has a Star Shield that deflects police radars and lasers.

I think the Elise is a better buy. You can pick one up with some high mileage (+25k miles) for $26,000-28,000.

If it's a track toy you want, you may consider getting one with some cosmetic damage so you can just drive the piss out of it without regard for how it looks.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I've been looking into purchasing a lotus but I don't know what the value on them are right now.

I know the car has been out for awhile now in the market but I'd prefer something that isn't older than an 05.

Also I don't know whether I should just pick up a base Lotus elise or opt for the Exige. I know the exige comes offering more performance but I'm wondering if that's even worth it.

Anyways...how much should I expect to be spending to get a base Lotus elise or if i do decide to get the exige.... how much more will that cost me?

P.S. I'm thinking about using the car for track purposes so should i just pick up a salvaged one?

Sorry for all the question guys! Thanks!

Recent Lotus Cars that came to the US for street legal and non-street legal use:

2005 N/A Elise
2006 Elise Sport (only 50 built N/A)
2006 N/A Exige
2006 Exige Cup Car (not street legal 240ish hp)
2007 Elise Type 72D (only 50 built N/A)
2007 Exige S220 (supercharged)
2007 Exige Cup Car (not street legal 250ish hp)
2008 Elise California Edition (only 50 built N/A)
2008 Elise SC (supercharged)
2008 Elise SC 60th Anniversary (only 42 built)
2008 Exige Club Racer (only 20 built 220hp)
2008 Exige S240
2008 2-Eleven (not street legal 257hp)
2009 Elise SC Jim Clark Type 25 Edition (build plan is 25)
2009 Exige S260 Sport (build plan is 50)
2009 2-Eleven (not street legal 257hp)

Any and all can be track cars although it depends on how you're going to use the vehicle. If you're going to compete, I'd suggest a Cup Car or 2-Eleven which you'll need to trailer it. If it's just for fun and you won't be competing, I'd suggest any of the Exige models....all can be modified at your own risk :D

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
First, I would like to start out by saying that I, too, pee freely.

Secondly, as Mr. Garrison once said to Cartman, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. I'm pretty stupid too.

Third, The Elise is only available in the US from 05 onward. The Exige came in at 06 which means that it will run more expensive simply because of year.

The Elise is a hoot to drive. It makes monkeys wiggle, it attracts girls, it makes people angry with you for having a nice car, it drives well in strong winds, and it has a Star Shield that deflects police radars and lasers.

I think the Elise is a better buy. You can pick one up with some high mileage (+25k miles) for $26,000-28,000.

If it's a track toy you want, you may consider getting one with some cosmetic damage so you can just drive the piss out of it without regard for how it looks.
to continue what he was saying....

if you are going to seriously track the car then get a exige or elise with sport/track pack.

You could probably pick up a good Elise anywhere from 28K+, the exige will run you about 40K+

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I don't think a salvaged one is a good idea. If it's salvaged then there's a good chance that there is something wrong with structural or other important bits that you wouldn't want failing at speed.

Many people on here track there Elises. It's fine unless you are a real track junkie and expert driver. If there is still some room for improvement in your driving skills, chances are you won't notice any real difference.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
to continue what he was saying....
if you are going to seriously track the car then get a exige or elise with sport/track pack.
Ah yes, the Sport pack - I forgot to mention that...

I also forgot to mention that driving with your jimmy out the window is a widely practiced function amongst the most accomplished of Lotus drivers.

Be certain to start stretching before you buy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Having read your comments in the other thread about preferring a GTR to the Evora, I have to wonder, have you looked at an EVO?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Ah yes, the Sport pack - I forgot to mention that...

I also forgot to mention that driving with your jimmy out the window is a widely practiced function amongst the most accomplished of Lotus drivers.

Be certain to start stretching before you buy.

What, his jimmy?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
What, his jimmy?
well, some folks may need to stretch their jimmy... however, I was referring to stretching his body to accommodate the necessary contortion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having read your comments in the other thread about preferring a GTR to the Evora, I have to wonder, have you looked at an EVO?
My cousin has an EVO already. The EVO is a beautiful car but I'd prefer a smaller car (coupes or 2 seaters) like the lotus.

And oh yeah about the GTR comment, it's just personal preference. Ever since i saw that car in real life, I can't stop drooling over it. Perhaps when I see the Evora in real life, I might prefer the Evora over the GTR... who knows :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot for answering my "stupid" questions...haha.

As you can tell I'm completely new to this whole car thing as I've always only been into motorcycles.

As far as prices... some of you are suggesting around 40k for a 06+ exige. Then... if i see a exige on craigslists going for 34k... is that a steal?

My impression of the exige's prices is that it's been a rough economy and prices have been hovering around 30-34k.

Not sure if the location affects the car's price as much as I think it does... but I'm located in So-cal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh yeah forgot one thing...

I had a friend tell me that I should just pick up a base lotus and do a K20 engine swap. What's your opinion on this? Should i still pick up a exige if I'm just going to do a engine swap?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

I had a friend tell me that I should just pick up a base lotus and do a K20 engine swap. What's your opinion on this? Should i still pick up a exige if I'm just going to do a engine swap?
My opinion is that you went from an almost believable new person with legitimate interest into a full fledged troll. Your next step is to post something truly outrageous or perhaps start yet another thread and end up with 'BANNED' under your name.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My opinion is that you went from an almost believable new person with legitimate interest into a full fledged troll. Your next step is to post something truly outrageous or perhaps start yet another thread and end up with 'BANNED' under your name.
what? how the hell did i went from a "believable new person" into a troll?

I'm just posting what he told me.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

:huh::huh:

you should search k20 swaps on here, lol.

·
Registered
519 Posts

How old are you, just curious?

I suggest driving the car. With stock NA power, the car is so far past common peoples driving abilities that more horsepower should be your last concern.

Lotus vehicles are not about huge power, but rather proper balance and light weight.

Drive one before contemplating any swap or any serious purchase concerns. You will either love it and have to have one, or walk away disgusted.

Also, if you want a track vehicle and you are not well versed in track days or car control, the Elise/Exige is the last car you should consider. They are fast, but they can get you in trouble in a hurry if you dont practice proper car control. When you get in trouble, they can be very costly to fix. For a beginners track slut, I recommend a used Miata. Cheap, easy to work on, plentiful, and fast on track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe i'm posting offensive material here and not realizing it...

seriously though, I don't know anything about cars... not to mention lotus'...

Was just hoping to find some answers on this here forum, so sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes while I'm going through this process.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts