The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
What a horrible way to go.

It does appear that few blame Stewart, he will be racing today at Watkins Glen I believe.
The rear end comes out very easily on dirt, part of the spectacle. Looks like it just came out more than Stewart planned.

A tragic accident caused more by the young man (20) getting out onto a hot track. Only Stewart knows if he had an intention to get close to Kevin Ward.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's tough to dissect what happened in the video. I did hear the engine rev. It appears to be after the front of the car is past the guy. The first car that passed could have been blocking the initial view of the guy on the track.

The front of the car turned towards the outer wall. Maybe that could have been trying get the rear wheel well that sticks out to avoid the hit. If he turned the opposite way it would have been even more of a direct hit.

Anyway, too hard to tell. Even for a professional racer, you don't practice avoid someone walking on the track in a split second decision. He could have made panic moves.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Terrible accident plain and simple,driver never should've got out of his car and walk across the track in the middle of a race not a wise thing to do.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
It takes two to tango:
1. why did the other driver, Kevin Ward Jr step into path of the other cars? He was standing in the middle of the track and walking towards the speeding cars!
2. These are open wheel cars, one can place those front wheels precisely on a dime, and Tony started racing in Karts. If you see a guy on the track, you back off, brake, steer, or do anything to avoid hitting him.

·
Registered
337 Posts
He never should have got out of the car....period.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Anyway, too hard to tell. Even for a professional racer, you don't practice avoid someone walking on the track in a split second decision. He could have made panic moves.
Walking person or a loose tire, no difference in the importance of you avoiding it.

Too bad Tony Stewart didn't race today, could have made a killing selling shirts that say Knock 'Em Dead :popcorn:

I can't really place blame in either direction here, but the fact that he said he was still going to race the next day and that it was "business as usual" was pretty coldblooded of him. Which would make me feel he was proud of what he did (at least enough to justify it).

At this point it's PR damage control.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know it's stupid to get out of the car, and even dumber to approach a car, but this could have been avoided by Tony slowing and taking an inside line during the caution lap. Instead, he accelerated and ran him over... very sad.

I watched the video and heard the engine accelerate and see the car sliding.
My thoughts as well. The blue car that rolled by looked to be going slower to avoid an incident, I didn't hear that one gun it on the pass. However Tony did gun it and that makes it seem deliberate.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Tragic, for sure.

Don't forget that these cars have no clutch or differential. If the car in front of you swerves suddenly and at the last minute you see an idiot walking down right into the path of your rear wheel, the only way to attempt to avoid the rear wheel hitting him would be to steer right and hit the gas to try to goose the rear end around.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Tragic, for sure.

Don't forget that these cars have no clutch or differential. If the car in front of you swerves suddenly and at the last minute you see an idiot walking down right into the path of your rear wheel, the only way to attempt to avoid the rear wheel hitting him would be to steer right and hit the gas to try to goose the rear end around.
Yeah this is closer to what I was saying.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I am blaming anyone. However there are some general rule that everyone follows and one of them is:

"It is highly recommended that drivers are not to get out of their cars on the race track until safety crews arrive or unless there is an extreme emergency." The extreme emergency is generally fire.

This entire thing is very sad.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You do hear the motor rev, I wonder if he lifted his foot off the accelerator to hit the brake but hit the gas by mistake?

A very stupid mistake cost that man his life... should have never got out of the car and run into the middle of the track.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It looked to me like the car may of slid a little sideways after impact which could of been caused by the sudden Iimpact on the right side. These cars aaren't that heavy. Also. I can' t tell if it'stony sStewart's car that hits the gas. The video is shot across the Track. Maybe a car on the back stretch..... i watched video on phone so maybe II'm wrong.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It was WRONG!!!!! To get out of his car ...... period!!
Nothing else matters.

Maybe this will stop a " next time " from ever happening again.
:-(
But I doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
You do hear the motor rev, I wonder if he lifted his foot off the accelerator to hit the brake but hit the gas by mistake?
Sprint cars only have two pedals, one on each side of the steering column. They brake with their left foot, gas on the right. This guy drives these cars almost daily. Whether he tried to avoid him or hit him intentionally, It's VERY unlikely that it would have been due to a failure to control the car as intended.

It seems unlikely to me that the engine you hear accelerating is Tony's. The video is taken from across the track with twenty cars moving around between the camera and the car. As someone mentioned, his car hooking to the right could easily have been from hitting a 175lb object with the rear wheel.

Also, while Tony is know to have a temper this wasn't something that he'd be upset about. Contact like that, which looked to be more the other car's fault than Tony's, is an integral part of that form of racing. The other guy might be upset, but Tony barely would have noticed. He certainly wouldn't be murderously angry over a simple tap like that.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thank you JWA for educating me about the pedal placement as I was unaware of that.

Not very familiar with Sprint car racing... :sheep:

I highly doubt Tony would hurt the guy intentionaly and stand corrected about the motor rev... could have been anyone as it was so close. On a dirt track anything can happen.

Have been watching dirt track rally racing in the EU and those guys are insane!

Robert

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Guys getting out of cars and waving their arms and helmets around, maybe throwing a helmet at another car, is a part of the blue collar appeal of this sort of racing.

But maybe it's time for them to say this is just a bad plan and make rules adjustments.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of racing but I could not see that the incident that led to this was much fault of Stewart's.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts