The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to thank all of my friends and all of the members here on LT. There would have been no way I could have undertook this entire process without the assistance and advice of you guys. You all are amazing, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. The last several months have been stressful. Countless 4am nights and this last night I did not sleep at all, but finally I was able to drive my Elise again this morning, and she'll be completely back to 100% by this Friday :D

For those of you that don't know, my Elise was damaged by a tire shop about 4 months ago. It should have been totaled, but we were able to make some things happen so I could keep the car.

I bought a damaged front clam, repaired it and also shaved all the body lines throughout the car, rear fins, all side markers, front blinkers, plenith, and the nose badge.

Then came the task of repainting the whole car. I choose Grabber Blue, a Ford color. I had a great painter lined out, paid him generously up front and built his website and maintained it pro-bono, but when the time came he flaked out and I was stuck with a fully prepped car and no painter.

I was able to find a local experienced painter that was willing to come out and spray on location. I have an indoor skatepark with about 20,000sqft and that is where I had been doing all of the work. He came and sprayed, without a paint booth, or ventilation, POOR lighting, with 2 cheap air compressors, but when it was finished he did a fantastic job! The car is currently at his shop getting color sanded and buffed, I'll have it Thursday.

I still need to install the new Corbeau seats, harness bar/harness, gtc-200 spoiler, front canards, Chazz's side skirts and front lip, new side scoops, all the weather stripping, rest of the interior and the fender wells.

I'll use this thread as sort of a build thread, but for now heres the good stuff :D

Before:

Bodywork and paint:

I'll get better pictures once she is all completely put back together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The car looks great. Your various tweaks have resulted in a very clean look. :clap:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i love that medium solid blue color - much like the 911 blue from 15 years or so back

looks great!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! It is VERY close to Laguna Secca Blue, just a little brighter.
It's flat, no metallics or pearl. I think a flat color fits the Elise much better when doing a track styled build. Too beautiful of a paint on a "track" car looks weird IMHO.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I always say, these cars look great in any color. But that color is especially arresting. Nice call!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The radio is crap honestly. A buddie of mine had it for sale. Its a single din, with a 3.5in flat screen that sticks out to clear the dash. It has alot of nice features, its just really old so it doesn't have Bluetooth or an AUX jack. It does have an SD card slot which will allow it to play audio files. It can also play DVDs, but NOT cds, its very quirky haha.

the wheels actually are chameleon. They are purple or blue in overcast lighting, and depending on your position or the light source they can be bright pink, orange, yellow, violent, purple, blue and blue-green.
I planned on doing them bright orange or green, but this color looks fantastic in person. You can get a rattle can of it at AutoZone, but be ready to drop about $25 for just one can.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Looking good. The color is very similar to Porsche 'Rivieria Blue' which is what I painted my Mini Moke.

Gotta say though, I'm not crazy about the wheels - I think they distract from the car. I think gloss black or nice carbon grey (ala my RAC Monolites) would look better.

Also, I think it REALLY needs the black 'LOTUS' letters on the valence and the fuel door needs to be black.

And don't take this the wrong way, but I hate the whole windshield decal thing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good. The color is very similar to Porsche 'Rivieria Blue' which is what I painted my Mini Moke.

Gotta say though, I'm not crazy about the wheels - I think they distract from the car. I think gloss black or nice carbon grey (ala my RAC Monolites) would look better.

Also, I think it REALLY needs the black 'LOTUS' letters on the valence and the fuel door needs to be black.

And don't take this the wrong way, but I hate the whole windshield decal thing.
I agree with everything you've said actually.
I wanted the wheels chrome black, but the shop here in town that does that wasent going to be able to do it for another month, and I HAD to get rid of the strange green hue they came with. I plan on getting them redone as soon as the shop can make it happen.

I also plan on doing the raised LOTUS lettering on the back, just slipped my mind when odering all of this stuff the last month.

And I also really dislike the window decal, but it's a symbol of the hierarchy in the car club I'm in. I'd much rather have a rear window decal or something, so no arguments from me!

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Looks great... hot color!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts