The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this forum, friendly people willing to help out an amateur such as myself. :bow: So I guess I'll just go ahead and ask another question then. Is the new Exige going to make it to American shores?:clap:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
WELCOME!! I'll be interesed in the answer but I'm guessing from other posts that the answer is NO and it will never be available here. Elise with hardtop is the best we'll do.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I think that depends a lot on Elise sales trends. If they soften somewhat, I expect Lotus will bring the Exige in (probably in the 2006 MY), but in very limited numbers and at quite a bit higher price. And, with the same drive train as the then current Elise. I do not believe the supercharged Exige rumors.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Welcome. So far the prevailing info is that it is not slated for US.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another question you seriously need to think about is why would you want an Exige over an Elise?

Given the choice I would definately go for an Elise, and yes I have driven them both :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barney jr, can you explain why you prefer the Elise over the Exige? I'll be honest, I haven't driven either, but have drooled over both, so any help you can give me here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Barney Jr said:
Another question you seriously need to think about is why would you want an Exige over an Elise?

Given the choice I would definately go for an Elise, and yes I have driven them both :)
Are your comments based on the S! or S2 models? There was quite a difference in the S1 models. However, the S2 Exige is, basically, a 111R/Fed Elise with the US Sport package and a body kit.

·
Registered
739 Posts
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAAAAAA!

It's bad enough trying to buy a car that Lotus actually make and say they want to sell you, let alone a car that they don't yet make and have no plans to launch here!

Save you sanity; get an Elise with LSS and play with it.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Did you guys see the new rendition of the 2+2 in R & T? I'd post pics if I had a scanner...:(

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am indeed talking about the S2 models.

The biggest reason for me not to want an Exige is the loss of open top motoring, which is fantastic. I'd only sacrifice this if it meant getting more performance which is definately not the case with the S2 Exige, especially if you have an Elise with the LSS+sticky tires.

Looks wise the Exige wins, it is one of the best looking cars out there at the moment. But if I'd buy a Lotus it would be because of the driving experience and IMHO the Elise wins that hands down.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Paul MD said:

It's bad enough trying to buy a car that Lotus actually make and say they want to sell you, let alone a car that they don't yet make and have no plans to launch here!
ROTFLMAO :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Surferjer said:
Did you guys see the new rendition of the 2+2 in R & T? I'd post pics if I had a scanner...:(
Lotus 2+2:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8145

Re: Exige. I doubt that the Exige will make it to the US as a street car in its current form. Remember, the Elise has a two (or is it three) year exemption on bumpers and headlights. Chances are that exemption will not be renewed, which means the Elise will no longer look like it currently does after 2006. It remains debatable as to whether or not the Exige is considered the same car by NHSTA, EPA, & DOT to be improrted under the same rules as the Elise between now & 2007.

I'm betting that Elise sales will begin to droop just about the time that Lotus is requried to make a new design that conforms will all NHTSA rules. It follows then, that IF Lotus were to bring an Exige road car to the states, it won't be until then.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What about this possibility, athough expensive: Buy an Elise with the sport pack and buy the Exige bodywork and have ot shipped over here for install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts