The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[I've already searched but couldn't find any similar threads].

Twice in my quest for an Elise I've come across cars that had ultra low miles---both were '07's that had less than 400 miles on them.

Should this be cause for concern?
Both cars were purchased new almost 12 mos ago--so that works out to under 35 miles per month, if they were even driven regularly..I suspect not, which means they've mostly been sitting (prob garaged) for the better part of a year.

An acquaintance in the used car business suggested that any car sitting for long periods like that would need every fluid changed immediately---i.e. oil, brake, diff, trans.

Thoughts? Issues to look for?
Thx

·
Registered
580 Posts
With a relatively new car with modern fluids, it's not such an issue. Probably needs fresh fuel unless it was stabilized, though, and it wouldn't hurt to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
NO worries. Now, if it was an 05 with 400 miles, I might be concerned.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You need to rescue one of those cars, but you have to promise to drive it. Seriously, I wouldn't worry, they are basically new.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lots of folks discover that the Lotus just "isn't for them" after a few months/miles... either it's too small, or they just don't have enough spare time to drive it, or good roads are too far away, or....

.... It's the same with many exotic cars. There's a lot of Ford GTs, CGTs, 430s, and Cobra replicas out there with suspiciously low miles. Sometimes they were bought as "investments", so the miles stay low on purpose.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a relatively new car with modern fluids, it's not such an issue. Probably needs fresh fuel unless it was stabilized, though, and it wouldn't hurt to change the oil.
"fresh fuel" Yeah, that's right....probably still holding it's first take of gas --THAT can't be good. ....almost no chance it was stabilized. Neither car was parked as if it were being stored.....now that I think about it, the tires may have issues as well, if they've sat in the same spot for that long.
I'd happily rescue either one....but I need ot figure out what it will cost me to make them right ----One owner seems to think the ultra low miles are a 'plus'.
Both are priced at or about market price, but given that some addl funds will have to be poured in, I have to think that through ---new tires could be WAY more than fluid changes.

thx.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
To me I would not weary about the miles. Not one bit. When you pick one of them up go straight to a gas station and fill her up, Drive a lot (as in to the last bar on the gas gage), fill up again. Get to 950- 1050 miles as quickly as you can. Then change all fluids. While at it get the SS brake lines done at the same time.

And maybe be ready for new tires.

Some of the cars have sat a long time on dealer lots so this should be no different.

Get what ever one you like most, color?, nicer drive home with car B, price?

Good luck

Kevin

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I know of a couple of 05's with less than 1000 miles on them !! They haven't even had their first service yet !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts