The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting an Elise. BUT. I am 6'2" and 290 lbs. Am i too big for an Elise ? I would love to just go hop into one, but i live in the middle of Canada, and the closest dealer is Vancouver or Toronto. So, if i am going to fly there and look, i had better be ready to buy..... Any bigger fellows driving an Elise ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am 6'1" and about 225lbs and fit fine. My legs and arms are bent a little more than I'd like but really not a problem. Getting in and out of an Elise with the top on might be your greatest issue. Also shoulder space gets to be very tight for me when giving friends a ride (not a problem with the ladys).

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
i'm 6'1" and 240 lbs. i fit great in my elise. it doesn't feel tight side to side. i have a 32" inseam so at 6'1" my torso is a little longer than average. this slightly limits my view at the top of the windshield. the only time i notice it is when i'm stopped at lights. i have to look above or below the top frame of the windshield to see the light when i'm at the stop line. otherwise, i can see all cars and signs fine without having to change my body position.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Your height (6'2") is not the concern, but your weight is (290 lbs). I have a friend who's close to 250 lbs, weight lifter build, and he could barely get in my car. I doubt you'll fit comfortably.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
I was counciled by Lotus of Durham that 6'-4" and / or 240lbs are the "realistic" maximum height / weight to ride. The very narrow, stiff seat bolsters would probably be an issue for you.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
At 6'3", 220 lbs, I fit fine. My workout partner was roughly the same size. The two of us in the car made it rather tight. By myself (or with my brother - 6'0", 190ish), it was fine. However, 220 and 290 are pretty disparate.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Your height (6'2") is not the concern, but your weight is (290 lbs). I have a friend who's close to 250 lbs, weight lifter build, and he could barely get in my car. I doubt you'll fit comfortably.
Wrong. It's all technique; believe me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You just have to try it and see, that is the only way to know for sure. That being said, I am 6' 6" and was about 270 lbs when I got my Elise. I drive it pretty much every day and have no problems fitting or getting in and out. I have since lost some weight and am now down to about 250 or so.

In the end, it just depends on your body proportions and desire to make yourself fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also 6'6" and am about 217lbs. I fit fine! I had the low rider seat rails put in and they really help. I think your issues may come form the width of your seat and your knee wheel/shifter placement. Only way to know is trying it out. Iwas very determined to make it fit and am extremely happy with my ride! Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only thing i am worried about is my generous 40" waist. After seeing some pics of the seats in there, that got me thinking. The closest dealer is a 3 day drive, so id like to be sure.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The only thing i am worried about is my generous 40" waist. After seeing some pics of the seats in there, that got me thinking. The closest dealer is a 3 day drive, so id like to be sure.
The Elise is definitely not a car that was designed with XL drivers in mind.
People with long legs and/or long torso's can be a bit hampered.

When i went to get my car smogged to register it (here in Cali), the technician was a big guy. - and he made me take the hardtop off so he could sit in it!

Your best bet is finding someone who lives nearby that has one and ask if yo could come over and sit in it. - and then you'll know for sure if it'll work for you.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think the bigger concern is the 3 day drive to a dealer. Unless you have a local mechanic that works on Lotus' or you don't mind doing it yourself, I would not do it. It's not that the Lotus is unreliable but if you have an issue, you are screwed.:sad:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

I have a 38-40" waist and it's fine. After LONG drives (150 miles+), the seat supports start to hurt my thighs and ass in certain areas, but it's cured by simply getting out and taking a break for like 10 minutes, or squirming around.

Someone at HRM service center told me they actually bent the seats outwards for a customer so he could fit better. Thought about that, but decided losing weight is the better option if possible :)

There is a dealer in Minnesota. Some locals say it isn't too good, but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Minnesota is only 4 hours. So, time for a severe weight reduction regime. Looks to be a pretty good goal. Loose weight= new lotus ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm 6'4" tall and 195 lbs. I don't own an Elise, but have test driven one a few times lately and fit in the car fine. My legs are pretty long so it was a bit awkward getting in, but once inside I'm comfortable. FWIW, I test drove a Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder today (I prefer the Lotus), and had slightly more room in it than the Elise, but not by much. Why do us big guys like small cars so much? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts