The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I’m new to the forum so firstly hello!

I’m currently considering buying a Lotus Elise S1 for use at the weekends. I’m yet to test drive one however, and at 6’4” tall I’m wondering if I’m too big for this car? I’m quite slim so wouldn’t have any trouble getting in and out it’s just whether there is enough headroom and leg room etc?
<O:p</O:p
I currently drive a 3.2l Alfa Romeo Brera so am coming from quite a sporty car too.
Any other tall Elise drivers here, if so how do you find it?
All the best!!!! Andy<O:p</O:p

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Welcome Andy! At average height I can't comment on whether or not you will fit but there are 6' 6" people on this board!

As for the S1 Elise - are you in the US (track only) or somewhere else? More info on the S1 can be found on SELOC (very few on this board).

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Depends on your torso. I had a guy 6' tall couldn't fit. Like the above posts people taller then you can

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'm from the UK. My current car has sport's recaro seats - almost like bucket seats and I fit into these easily.

I think my main concern is the head room and leg room - I also intend to fit the solid roof so will this increase or decrease the head room?

All the best, Andy

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am 6' tall and had to move my seat forward when driving it. I'd imagine there is enough room for a few more inches :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am about 6'3", and I fit pretty well. Better than I would have thought actually. I have a 34" inseam, and there is JUST enough leg room for me. The distance to the pedals is no problem, as there is quite a bit of length available with the seat all the way back. The bigger issue is clearance between the steering wheel and my knees. As it is, I find myself shuffle steering (not sure what the proper term is) around tight turns. At 6'4", you might have a problem with knee clearance. With the shifter console, there really isn't much room for you to spread your knees apart.

I just bought a 2005, which apparently has tighter pedal spacing than newer models, so that was my main concern going in. However, with narrow shoes, it's been a non-issue. With standard width shoes, I do have a problem in that my foot wants to hit both the throttle and brake pedals simultaneously. I have a size 12/13 foot.

Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nothing can replace "trying one on"...

<--------- This is me next to my Elise, I am 6'6" and about 255 lbs right now. I drive it most every day and on longish trips (2 to 3 hours).

The soft top seems to give about ¼ to ½ an inch more headroom than the hard top, but I fit with either.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm 6'-4" and found that the Elise had plenty of room, getting in was entertaining, but I found the car very comfortable with good leg room.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone one tall have problemswith head hitting roll ball cover behind seat? Anyone have aftermarket seats that go higher behind the head?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It's not the height, it's the width that appears to be the limiting factor with these cars. I'm 6'3" and have no prob in it. I've had shorter passengers though that have had issues.

Go try sitting in one. =)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm 6'4" tall and just test drove an Exige S last week. Getting in/out was a bit entertaining, but once inside I was comfortable and had sufficient headroom.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Anyone one tall have problemswith head hitting roll ball cover behind seat? Anyone have aftermarket seats that go higher behind the head?
Nope, I have stock seats and keep my seat all the way back and while my head is at the level of the roll bar, I don't hit it during normal use (it is on the same vertical plane as the seat headrest). In an accident, I am sure I would probably come in contact with it some. Not ideal, but behind the roll bar cover, there is at least a crushable foam and I have a harness bar installed against which the spine of the seat rests against. This will help keep the seat from collapsing further back and stiffens the headrest some.

In the past I considered locating some "bumper pads" that appear to have come stock on the Vauxhall VX220 (based on the Elise), but I have yet to follow through on this. Here is a post of mine from a while back showing the pads: Vauxhall VX220 rollbar covers

I have also tried the DOWNlow seat rails, but unfortunately that didn't work for me. The rails took up too much of my legroom and put the head rest too far back behind the roll bar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just picked up my Exige S about a month ago. I'm pushing 6'3" at 200 pounds. After about a week, I got pretty comfortable getting in and out of the car. Once I'm in, there is more leg room and head room than any car I've driven in recent memory. I was pretty surprised I had room even while wearing a helmet. At first I felt like the guy on Letterman who folds up and zips himself into a suitcase on Stupid Human Tricks, but now its second nature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sat in a S3 Elise (which has the chair mounting extrusion/cross member bracing notched to lower the seat further which the S1 and [email protected] do not have) today and no way a 6"4 person can fit (I roughly have a 87 cm inseam and am 92 cm from butt to top of head) I had my head canted to the left and forward and my knees were against the wheel where it would hamper me turning the wheel and could only see 3000 rpm on the tachometer and 60 kilometers per hour on the speedometer .

How do people expect to drive in such a fashion maybe my butt is getting in the way as it may have to much padding on it ?

Would love to hear how similar height people can fit in these cars .

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I sat in a S3 Elise (which has the chair mounting extrusion/cross member bracing notched to lower the seat further which the S1 and [email protected] do not have) today and no way a 6"4 person can fit (I roughly have a 87 cm inseam and am 92 cm from butt to top of head) I had my head canted to the left and forward and my knees were against the wheel where it would hamper me turning the wheel and could only see 3000 rpm on the tachometer and 60 kilometers per hour on the speedometer .

How do people expect to drive in such a fashion maybe my butt is getting in the way as it may have to much padding on it ?

Would love to hear how similar height people can fit in these cars .
For people at the size limits, the car has to fit just right. Here we are 10 years since my posts above, I am still 6' 6", but begrudgingly 15 pounds heavier (270 lbs now) and a little less hair, however I still own and drive my 2006 Elise quite a bit. I am right at the limits in pretty much every way, but do fit well enough and comfortable enough that I enjoy it immensely! I have no problems taking it on trips of at least several hours and even now that I am in my 50's, I still get in and out with no problems. None of this would be the case if my legs were any longer, or I sat any taller, or my hips were wider. It certainly is not as safe for me as it would be for someone shorter. And although I have tracked it here and there, it really is not a safe track car at all for me. The only modifications I have done to accommodate my height were to remove the sun visors, install a micro mirror (tiny rearview mirror) and reshape the hardtop header piece. As mentioned above, I did try the DOWNlow seat rails once offered (maybe still?), but they didn't work for me and my proportions.

I have had a variety of small sports cars all of my life, so it has definitely been a way of life for me. Some other cars I currently own that I consider even tighter fitting than my Elise are a Triumph Spitfire, Triumph TR4 and Mazda Miata NB1.

The final key piece of the puzzle is that you have to want to fit. Maybe I have been fooling myself into thinking I fit... but it has worked for 12 years so far!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts