The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I sat in a S3 Elise (which has the chair mounting extrusion/cross member bracing notched to lower the seat further which the S1 and [email protected] do not have) today and no way a 6"4 person can fit (I roughly have a 87 cm inseam and am 92 cm from butt to top of head) I had my head canted to the left and forward and my knees were against the wheel where it would hamper me turning the wheel and could only see 3000 rpm on the tachometer and 60 kilometers per hour on the speedometer .

How do people expect to drive in such a fashion maybe my butt is getting in the way as it may have to much padding on it ?

Would love to hear how similar height people can fit in these cars .
10+ year old thread Resurrection, that's gotta be some record! :surprise:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
For people at the size limits, the car has to fit just right. Here we are 10 years since my posts above, I am still 6' 6", but begrudgingly 15 pounds heavier (270 lbs now) and a little less hair, however I still own and drive my 2006 Elise quite a bit. I am right at the limits in pretty much every way, but do fit well enough and comfortable enough that I enjoy it immensely! I have no problems taking it on trips of at least several hours and even now that I am in my 50's, I still get in and out with no problems. None of this would be the case if my legs were any longer, or I sat any taller, or my hips were wider. It certainly is not as safe for me as it would be for someone shorter. And although I have tracked it here and there, it really is not a safe track car at all for me. The only modifications I have done to accommodate my height were to remove the sun visors, install a micro mirror (tiny rearview mirror) and reshape the hardtop header piece. As mentioned above, I did try the DOWNlow seat rails once offered (maybe still?), but they didn't work for me and my proportions.

I have had a variety of small sports cars all of my life, so it has definitely been a way of life for me. Some other cars I currently own that I consider even tighter fitting than my Elise are a Triumph Spitfire, Triumph TR4 and Mazda Miata NB1.

The final key piece of the puzzle is that you have to want to fit. Maybe I have been fooling myself into thinking I fit... but it has worked for 12 years so far!
OP Nice thread revival

This sums it up for me too until I convinced myself this spring that I didn't fit, sold it and regret it......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Old thread or not, here are my comments. 2005 Elise. i am 6'2" 200 lbs but proportionally I have a long torso and wear 34" inseam pants. I also had to take off the visors and swap to a micro mirror. Driving with the top off is not a problem :) With the hardtop on my head has about one finger width of clearance. The seat is almost all the way back but not quite. Driving on the roads is not a problem and it is quite comfortable. Looking up is difficult such as seeing a traffic light while stopped, first in line. reflections are your friend. I cannot manage to wear a helmet so i have not been able to track it yet. This winter i plan to experiment with the seating and figure out how to be in the car with a helmet on. My plan is to get a spare seat and litterally cut the bottom out so i am sitting on the floor and adjust the rake so i fit. Thigh to steering wheel clearance becomes the next issue as you scoot your butt forward and recline more. I WILL make it work. Taking two inches out of my back is next on the list. Or adding Gurney bumps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey thanks for this follow up post... I joined the site to say hi. I am 45 and just bought my first MX5 - an NC. It fits me well at 6,1 with a pretty long torso. Your long history with the Lotus gives me confidence that I will end up in one and throwing it around the landscape! Cheers.

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6'4" and had the same problem. Your right, the seat must be lowered and tilted back . You don't need to cut up your seat to accomplish this. I modified Inokinetic tall rails. It might be less work to make a bracket from scratch. Their setup moves the seat forward and tilts the seat back.This put my knees into the steering wheel and didn't lower the seat enough for helmet clearance. I have about 1" of clearance with a helmet on now. I also took off the roll bar cover and put a small arch in the fiberglass so if I put my head back against the seat my helmet doesn't hit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6'4" and had the same problem. Your right, the seat must be lowered and tilted back . You don't need to cut up your seat to accomplish this. I modified Inokinetic tall rails. It might be less work to make a bracket from scratch. Their setup moves the seat forward and tilts the seat back.This put my knees into the steering wheel and didn't lower the seat enough for helmet clearance. I have about 1" of clearance with a helmet on now. I also took off the roll bar cover and put a small arch in the fiberglass so if I put my head back against the seat my helmet doesn't hit.
Ok, this comforts me a bit. I've been looking at getting an elise fairly soon, and was hoping to track it. I'm not quite your height, so I figured I would probably fit in the car semi-comfortably, but I was concerned about the helmet aspect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think allot is dependent on the helmet. I'm 6'3" tall and have needed a helmet three times. The first time was at a car control clinic and a Snell SA helmet wasn't required so I borrowed a friend's very nice Arai Snell Motorcycle helmet. I don't have the tall rails and had my soft top on. No clearance issues. The second track day I borrowed another helmet the night before the HPDE because somehow in all my preparation I forgot I needed to get a Snell SA helmet. This time I borrowed a super nice Carbon Fiber Simpson. Soft top on and again no clearance issues. Before another car control clinic I ordered a low spec Bell Snell SA2015 at a good price figuring I'd wait till SA2020 helmets are out to get a better one. With this helmet I rub ever so slightly on the soft top cross support.
So spend the money for a good helmet and you'll have a better shot at fitting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For reference with the Arai helmet on. My friend who is 6' fit fine riding shotgun with a loaner helmet on because he was nice enough to loan me his helmet.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
You have aftermarket sliders that can lower seats as well if you need another inch or so.

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Sequoia
2 Posts
I am about 6'3", and I fit pretty well. Better than I would have thought actually. I have a 34" inseam, and there is JUST enough leg room for me. The distance to the pedals is no problem, as there is quite a bit of length available with the seat all the way back. The bigger issue is clearance between the steering wheel and my knees. As it is, I find myself shuffle steering (not sure what the proper term is) around tight turns. At 6'4", you might have a problem with knee clearance. With the shifter console, there really isn't much room for you to spread your knees apart.

I just bought a 2005, which apparently has tighter pedal spacing than newer models, so that was my main concern going in. However, with narrow shoes, it's been a non-issue. With standard width shoes, I do have a problem in that my foot wants to hit both the throttle and brake pedals simultaneously. I have a size 12/13 foot.

Good luck!
Mike
I think my main concern is the head room and leg room - I also intend to fit the solid roof so will this increase or decrease the head room?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm 6'3" thin build and fit very comfortably. I have leg room to pedals, knee room beneath wheel (knees/legs fit under aftermarket steering wheel, not to the side of wheel), and head room with w/soft top and helmet on - I don't have a hard top so cannot comment on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tall rails move seat forward and tip seat back to increase head room.
You will have less leg room which makes them pretty useless unless
your very tall and have short legs.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts