The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call on Thursday from Maplecrest that my car had arrived which was a complete surprise as I was expecting late August.

Thanks to John the Lotus tech, he had the PDI done and I picked up the car Saturday morning.

Here's the rundown:
Ardent Red w/ Black
Hard top
Sport pack
Touring pack

I didn't want the touring pack and I didn't spec it out that way but the dealer rep ordered it that way from Lotus so I really didn't have a choice but to take it or wait for another car to be built. After waiting three years I wasn't about to risk another long wait so I sucked it up and took the car witht he extra equipment.

I'm away and on an ancient laptop so pics may be a bit delayed,so far the car is great. The Sport Pack is STIFF on New Jersey roads. My GT3 feels like a Caddy by comparison.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
What number were you?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well great but why the hell did the dealer order 'your' car to the wrong spec'? Is he some kind of brainless dolt or something?

Did you pay MSRP BTW?

:)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I agree, I would be really pissed if the dealer had added Touring without my consent. Impossible to turn it down though, I'm not willing to wait another (seemingly) lifetime. Take comfort in that the weight difference is only about 30lbs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can help with the comparison of the GT-3 versus the non LSS car. The non-lss is firm, but on small bumps it is much softer than a GT-3. On very large bumps (like potholes) the GT-3 does a little better because it's heavier, but in most day-to-day driving the GT-3 is much fimer. Picture going down a log pile in an iron canoe for the GT-3. On some roads a GT-3 can make you a bit queasy from all the small up and down motions.
It's say the non-lss car is only slightly more firm than a modern M3.
The Lotus also gets much smoother as speeds increase. I'm not sure if that's a function of downforce or just really good suspension tuning.

·
Registered
970 Posts
ringmeister said:
I got a call on Thursday from Maplecrest that my car had arrived which was a complete surprise as I was expecting late August.

Thanks to John the Lotus tech, he had the PDI done and I picked up the car Saturday morning.

Here's the rundown:
Ardent Red w/ Black
Hard top
Sport pack
Touring pack

I didn't want the touring pack and I didn't spec it out that way but the dealer rep ordered it that way from Lotus so I really didn't have a choice but to take it or wait for another car to be built. After waiting three years I wasn't about to risk another long wait so I sucked it up and took the car witht he extra equipment.

I'm away and on an ancient laptop so pics may be a bit delayed,so far the car is great. The Sport Pack is STIFF on New Jersey roads. My GT3 feels like a Caddy by comparison.

RM, please take many photos cause that is exactly what I ordered too!...in sunlight too...:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was #2 at my dealer, MSRP. I have not driven the non LSS car for comparison, I'd be interested to see how it compares with the LSS car because IMO, this sucker is stiff.
I really didn't want the Touring pack but I was between a rock and a hard place with really no choice but to take the car. AFter almost three years of waiting, I just couldn't wait any longer. I wonder if how hard it would be to retrofit the crank windows? That's the main reason I didn't want the Touring. THe leather seats are nice though.

I'll try to get some pics soon but my camera isn't talking to my laptop at the moment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, they told me the previous sales manager orderd all the cars with the touring pack so if you are at Maplecrest and you ordered your car from Tom Z., you are getting the touring pack if you like it or not. I even had my options and colors in writing with a letter from Tom Z when I made my choices in December but obviously that didn't mean very much in the end. He's gone now, It seems that Kurt is on the ball and is a pretty nice guy. It would have been nice to get some compensation for the mistake though.

My main concern is that if I have warranty issues, they take care of me and I think that will be the case. As I said, John in service is awesome.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
ringmeister said:
BTW, they told me the previous sales manager orderd all the cars with the touring pack so if you are at Maplecrest and you ordered your car from Tom Z., you are getting the touring pack if you like it or not.
sheesh what happened to customer service?:mad:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
well at least you get something for the $$ as opposed to over msrp mark ups which give you nothing more than the feeling of giving away money to line someone else's pockets. anybody out there so incensed they will pass on their maplecrest car send me a PM :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
LotusLust said:
well at least you get something for the $$ as opposed to over msrp mark ups which give you nothing more than the feeling of giving away money to line someone else's pockets. anybody out there so incensed they will pass on their maplecrest car send me a PM :D
True I wouldn't pass on the car either, but it's still a ******* move by the GM knowing full well nobody would pass on their spot because of the touring pack and if they did the dealer would sell it at market.

Doesn't speak well for long term relationship with the dealer. I'd always feel that they are trying to screw me for more money down the line when I service the car there.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What a strange way to do business. Take an order in writing, but then file a different one with Lotus. One that, of course, has more dealer profit over invoice.

"Hi, I'd like the ham and cheese sandwich."
"Sure thing, coming right up."
"Here's your Ham and Cheese Omlette Supreme with extra toast"
"Uhh."
"Yeah, see tip is 15% of the tab, so this works out better for me."

Or.. "To serve you better, me modified your order to sweeten our bottom line and make your car more marketable."

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
congrats, ringmeister!

sorry to hear that the dealer stuck you with the touring pack. Hopefully we won't be seeing much of this.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's me. Looks like you figured it out.
I had just taken delivery and on my way south I stopped off at the SIGfest event to help with the judging. Great event for the E30 M3 faithful. The Elise seemed to be a hit with the crowd too. Not that this would be a surprise to anyone.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It is an old ford/chevy wheeler dealer tactic. It increases the profit on a car, and hopefully for them causes you to not take the car so that they can sell it for more $ like the Krypton Green car that was supposedly painted the wrong color by Lotus(yeah right). I would demand that they discount the car the amount of the unwanted option, if you have a signed order sheet you've got them by the balls.
All you need is to have your attorney send them a demand letter.
Supply the car at the agreed price or else.. No one at the dealership wants to get tied up in a court case. Believe me..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
You could probably still get your $$ back if you have your attorney write a demand letter. Probably better that you took the car, otherwise they would more than likley have sold the car to someone else and dealt with you later, saying that you had refused the car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts