The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get my deposit back from Symbolic Motors in La Jolla today. The reasons: I put the $1000 down in October of 2003, to this day no body including the salesmen who took my money, Ed Gonzalez ever gave me a call. I have no idea as to, where I am on the list, is there even a list, or when I will be ordering my car. Also I can't help feeling being lied to. When I called him today I don't think he even knew who I was... Then he proceeded to ask me questions on which other dealership I chose to get my car? Upon telling him I put another deposit down with Dessert Motors. Ed tells me that any number anyone gives me at this moment is probably incorrect, and that Lotus will only be sending over 750 car as opposed to the 2400 cars promised for the whole year. At this moment I decided that this matter was closed and simply said; Ed I've had my deposit over there for 8 months, there has been no communication, I'd like you to mail my check back please.
The sad part about the whole thing is, even if Symbolic had a car for me today, I wouldn't touch it, because I would have to deal with this kind of service too. I am almost positive this is not how Lotus wants to be perceived here in Southern California.

Neil

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Neil,

Put your deposit at Desert Euro. Very, very nice people. You might be #30 if you act quick, not sure though.

Ara

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Miami isn't much better. Anyone know where Lotus is planning to expand to? If they want to open another South Florida dealership, I might just put in a bid!!! :D I think I could force myself to drive an Elise to work every day ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I got my deposit back from Symbolic a month or so ago. Felt great to no longer have to hassle with doubts regarding that dealership.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Where on earth do the salesman get these numbers??? Only 750 for the year, he's clueless.

Don't blame you Neal, I had real doubts about the bunch when they ordered the first ten cars without consulting deposit holders.

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've had my deposit with Symbolic (Beverly Hills, not La Jolla) since January 2003. They do not contact us unless they need something (e.g., ordering). However, they have been quite responsive on the numerous occasions when I've called.

If you placed a deposit in October, you aren't even close to being asked for an order, so there has been no need for Symbolic to be in touch. They aren't into handholding. But in my experience, if you call or e-mail them, you receive a reply.

If you want to pay $2500 extra for a car, that's your business, but I'm reasonably content with the way things seem to be working out with Symbolic. Plus, no guarantee that Desert European will be getting anywhere near the allocation that Symbolic may receive.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shay2nak said:
Neil,

Put your deposit at Desert Euro. Very, very nice people. You might be #30 if you act quick, not sure though.

Ara
Ara,
Where is Desert Euro? I am #32 at Dessert Motors (I think and hope).

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jml1952 said:
I've had my deposit with Symbolic (Beverly Hills, not La Jolla) since January 2003. They do not contact us unless they need something (e.g., ordering). However, they have been quite responsive on the numerous occasions when I've called.

If you placed a deposit in October, you aren't even close to being asked for an order, so there has been no need for Symbolic to be in touch. They aren't into handholding. But in my experience, if you call or e-mail them, you receive a reply.

If you want to pay $2500 extra for a car, that's your business, but I'm reasonably content with the way things seem to be working out with Symbolic. Plus, no guarantee that Desert European will be getting anywhere near the allocation that Symbolic may receive.
I don't know if getting a number on a list is conceidered hand holding. Maybe the LA store is better, I don't know. I just have a bad feeling about the whole fu#king thing, even on the phone I feel like I am bothering the guy when I ask a simple question. That's a big part of service... customers ask stupid questions at times. Do NOT be bothered.
As for $2500 extra for a car, I am not doing that. The first 30 on the list at Dessert have chosen to do that. After #30 it is still a $2500 deposit but it is towards the car. I am #32.

Neil

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by Little Bastard
Ara,
Where is Desert Euro? I am #32 at Dessert Motors (I think and hope).
Thanks
Neil
Hi Neil,

I think we are talking about the same dealer. Did you talk with either Pat or Austin?

Ara

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by jml1952
I don't mind waiting, in fact I don't want to get the car until late this year. I've been told to expect my car in Oct/Nov, but I'm counting on it being delivered in December. The dealer has already sent the first 20 orders to Lotus, so I'll be next.

Neil, you may get yours in Dec '04/Jan '05. I'm not sure what # you were at Symbolic, but this way you may get your car sooner. Desert is a NEW Lotus dealer, and my guess is that they are going to do very well because they are the largest sellers in the world of Bentleys and Rolls Royces. They are also expanding to sell Ferraris and Lambos. They also sell Astons, Porsche, Audi and Jags.

I visited them early this month and I was pleased with the facilites and experience. It's VERY hot there, though.

Ara

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Desert European motorcars is in Rancho Mirage, CA (near Palm Springs.) Their website is: Desert European

Bob

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
My deposit is with HuntingRidge Motorsports in Greenwich. So far have been extremely happy, and have heard nothing negative about them...They are Lotus enthusiasts as well....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tom Skinner at Criswell Lotus in MD is fantastic. Nice, attentive, and prompt. And he keeps me up to date.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by andykeck
'Cept for you don't have Desert European on there for me to add comments to...
HA!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Little Bastard said:
I decided to get my deposit back from Symbolic Motors in La Jolla today. The reasons: I put the $1000 down in October of 2003, to this day no body including the salesmen who took my money, Ed Gonzalez ever gave me a call. I have no idea as to, where I am on the list, is there even a list, or when I will be ordering my car. Also I can't help feeling being lied to. When I called him today I don't think he even knew who I was... Then he proceeded to ask me questions on which other dealership I chose to get my car? Upon telling him I put another deposit down with Dessert Motors. Ed tells me that any number anyone gives me at this moment is probably incorrect, and that Lotus will only be sending over 750 car as opposed to the 2400 cars promised for the whole year. At this moment I decided that this matter was closed and simply said; Ed I've had my deposit over there for 8 months, there has been no communication, I'd like you to mail my check back please.
The sad part about the whole thing is, even if Symbolic had a car for me today, I wouldn't touch it, because I would have to deal with this kind of service too. I am almost positive this is not how Lotus wants to be perceived here in Southern California.

Neil

Neil,

I don't blame you. I had no idea Symbolic was such a bad dealer. I would have done the same. Good luck with your new found dealer Dessert Motors.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
emilgh said:
This is good advice. Who are the best dealers? Any opinions out there?
Hunting Ridge Motors up in CT. They are the best dealer on the East Coast period. The dealership is owned and operated by a bunch of Lotus owners and real true Lotus enthusiasts. Heck these guys are even sponsors for this years LOG 24 in Birmingham. Need I say more.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

1 - 20 of 34 Posts