The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first toy car this weekend. Been fun tooling all around town. But definitely need to learn to use all of its abilities.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes welcome. Check out the Midwest forum, we have a very active Lotus group and do spirited drives, auto crosses and track days

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
May 19th would be a great day to learn how to use its abilities

·
Supporting Vendor
143 Posts
Congrats!! Enjoy the car, and let us know if you need anything!!

T.J. Waszak
Gator Motorsport

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats!! Yes, join us for drives and shows. Check out Supercar Saturday in Bolingbrook.. Several of us are known to go and hang out and sometimes go for a drive together.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I suggest autoxing it to learn it's true abilities. High speed track days are fun...but personally I find it is an exacto knife when it comes to autoxing, and in the right hands. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Only downside with Chicago's autocross's is that you will be there all day (7am to 4~5pm) and get 4, possibly 5, one minute runs. But the people are nice and you get to hang out for a day on cone duty with fellow motor heads

As far as local track days

Autobahn (hard on brakes) 3 tracks in one. North, South and full track is a generally safe track with a little more speed on South and Full track

Blackhawk (hard on you) Tight, technical, lots of G's and a complete blast on a old school track. My nickname for 3D was spin-o-matic on my first day at the track

Gingerman (hard on tires) Eyeball ripping grip, very safe and only 2 long straights. There is no correct line for turn 2 so it levels the field and well, just figure 10b out for yourself ;)

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
all the AX I got to I get 10-12 runs. :shrug:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yep, we are an active group and I tend to be the ringleader (head court jester) - a) because I'm a loudmouth and b) because none of these other lazy bastards will do it!

Check out the thread for the 5/10 drive - will be a blast. I try to organize a local 'spirited drive' every 4-6 weeks or so in the warm months. My goal is to get a solid half dozen in this 'driving season'.

We've had drives that feature 4 cars and one that featured 30 plus! On my drives, we'll have 8-14 or so.

And of course, the track days and auto-x as others note.

Let us know where in Chicagoland you are.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Oh, and you bought it from Billy. Good for you. The Nuccio clan are good people!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Appreciate all the warm welcome guys. I've never done a track day or a AX. What is the best way to go about learning how to drive the car better on a track? I'm not experienced in high-performance cars at all but want to learn some.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The best way is to come to our track day, which is a true drivers education event. We provide classroom instruction and plenty of on-track time with an experienced instructor in the passenger seat. All you need is a proper helmet and a good attitude, and the track will even rent you the helmet.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The best way is to come to our track day, which is a true drivers education event. We provide classroom instruction and plenty of on-track time with an experienced instructor in the passenger seat. All you need is a proper helmet and a good attitude, and the track will even rent you the helmet.
Thanks, I would join you but I have to work to pay for the toy!

Where do you recommend buying insurance for your track days?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bravo! Well done! I can vouch for the Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee area Lotus clan - great folks. Always with smiles and good spirits. When I can - I do the spirited drives with the group and about one track day a year (sometimes two). Great fun and I even got a speeding ticket on the way back from the Starved Rock drive late last year. State Trooper said he never gave a speeding ticket to a car that sat so low to the ground. I am like write your ticket away from my driver door because your adding insult -his junk is in my face the whole damn time - LOL! Looking forward to the driving season and meeting you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome! The Midwest group is a lot of fun, I try to make as many drives as possible (going to miss the May 10 one, darn it). Good group of friendly people.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Welcome! I am new as well and look forward to meeting everyone now the season is starting to get better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts