The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing my cams and rockers. What tools do I need beyond the basic stuff (ie: what torque wrench range, etc)?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
You do not need any special tools to do a cam/follower change, just a long day to get it done. I have the directions documented to do the job with the minimum amount of disassembly required. Just PM me your email address and I can send them to you.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I searched for oil pressure and oil temp gauge installs and found a couple of things that might help. The only way I clearly saw was to put on a sandwich plate and put the gauge fittings on that. However, I see there are a couple of potential points already available (see pic.) What is that black bolt plugging up (red arrow)? Could that port be used for pressure? Also, there's an electric plug that is clearly attached to the oil line in the block (yellow arrow). Is that where the ECU is getting oil temp?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
there is no oil temp.. that plug is for the dummy light (low oil pressure).. fwiw if oyu see this driving your engine is about gone..

black plug is the thermostat..

you could add some SS line to the block for oil press and relocate the OEM sensor on the same line.. you don't want to T off the block..

·
Registered
291 Posts
I saw a post for a "T" that let you add a oil pressure sensor beside the stock oil pressure sensor. It was for sale by Forcedfed. Not currently for sale by them that I could find. But lots of companys sell T's with 1/8 npt threads, probably no big deal. I also want to do this to hook it up to my Dashdaq.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The simple method for oil pressure and temp are to use the oil cooler bleed port on the sandwich plate for pressure, and a moroso pan which comes with a bung for oil temp.

You could also tee into the stock idiot light switch for pressure.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
dont T directly off the stock dummy light.. add SS line to relocate it and then T..

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I saw a post for a "T" that let you add a oil pressure sensor beside the stock oil pressure sensor. It was for sale by Forcedfed.
don't T directly off the stock dummy light.. add SS line to relocate it and then T..
Correct - Putting the T directly into the engine and hanging a pressure sensor on it can lead to problems. The engine vibrates, and the (relatively) heave sensor on the end of a T can really vibrate. This leads to potential cracks in the T and a loss of oil pressure. So, if you are going to use a T, mount things solid on the firewall/chassis, and run a flexible line from the engine to the T.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I searched for oil pressure and oil temp gauge installs and found a couple of things that might help. The only way I clearly saw was to put on a sandwich plate and put the gauge fittings on that. However, I see there are a couple of potential points already available (see pic.) What is that black bolt plugging up (red arrow)? Could that port be used for pressure? Also, there's an electric plug that is clearly attached to the oil line in the block (yellow arrow). Is that where the ECU is getting oil temp?
Hi Conan,
I tried to figure out some way not to use a sandwich plate, but it was too much work and would involve all sorts of convoluted wiring and disassembly.

There are just some things I didn't want to take apart or were too difficult to reach. Also, leaks wherever there is pressure can be a problem. I wanted everything in one location so I could easily check if something went wrong.

I went with the MaxSpeed sandwich plate. Very simple to install. Nice and clean look and easy to run sensor wires and other components. Here's a link to my install thread on this: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/oil-temp-gauge-install-74807/

And a pic of the sandwich plate.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Conan,
I tried to figure out some way not to use a sandwich plate, but it was too much work and would involve all sorts of convoluted wiring and disassembly.

There are just some things I didn't want to take apart or were too difficult to reach. Also, leaks wherever there is pressure can be a problem. I wanted everything in one location so I could easily check if something went wrong.

I went with the MaxSpeed sandwich plate. Very simple to install. Nice and clean look and easy to run sensor wires and other components. Here's a link to my install thread on this: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/oil-temp-gauge-install-74807/

And a pic of the sandwich plate.

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks, Wayne! :) Actually, I found your thread earlier, but I thought I'd look at possibly trying to use OEM points. However, it looks like your way would be easier, and I think I'll just end up doing that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts