The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Top 10 Most Beautiful Cars for 2009

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  plastique999 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Really? I think the Lotus belong on there. So does the Solstice, both Aston Martins, ( i would put vantage over db9 though), the Alfa... I guess I agree with most of it. The cayman though... disgusting.

#7 ·
Exige S wheels shouldnt have made the list. The Alfa wheels should have been #1.

#9 · (Edited)
The way weight "looks" only matters when talking about girls. Wheels.... not so much. Remember, this is a beauty contest.

#10 ·
As the first article stated, there can be beauty found in associated functionality and performance.

To quote the article, "Beauty is not always purely a matter of the aesthetic. To those more technically minded, beauty can be a more cerebral, associative, objective factor. Although the eensy, insectile Lotus Elise and the skeletal Ariel Atom are not necessarily beautiful in the traditional sense, the fact that they weigh next to nothing yet offer more power than many sport-utilities can make a math-minded car enthusiast drool at the sight of their unconventional bodies like Pavlov’s dogs in a bell factory."

#16 ·
Alfa +1

That car is really sharp looking to bad the price is so high.........

#17 ·
Solstice coupe is OK, but beautiful it is not. I can think of dozens of more beautiful cars. Any Porsche 911, any Ferrari, any Lambo...the list goes on and on. The fact is C&D is trying to appeal to the mainstream consumers by putting that on there. Of course all the high-end sports cars are the most beautiful :p

Mercedes CLS? BLAH!

#18 ·
Shocking how the Merc SL65 Black Series or the Lambo LP560 didn't even make this list. By 2010, did they really mean 2008-2009? The only few that I really agreed with were the Lotus (natch!), the Alfa, and the Astons, but probably not in the same order as the author's.

#19 ·
Based on their choices, it seems like CD is looking more for smooth flowing lines (S5 or even the Solistic Coupe) rather than agressive in your face and straight edge styling (new Gallardo) - which could be considered trendy.

...there are many other cars that can be considered stunning, hot, cool, eye-catching, alluring, or any manner of highly suggestive descriptor, but few can be considered timelessly beautiful.

#26 ·
...personally i can't decide if the R8 is striking or banal, but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt...

...bump one of the astons, the CLS, and the S5 to untie the elise and make room for the fisker and SLR stirling moss: i'm not sure i'd consider that my own definitive list, but it's a nice start...

#27 ·
Finally seeing one in person, I'd say the R8 is a three-dimensional masterpiece. What looks unbalanced in low-angle 2D pictures comes to life when seen in 3D. I came out to the parking lot one day a few months back to find a graphite grey/black side blade R8 parked next to my Elise. As I walked up to my Elise, some folks started walking toward me...and immediately started asking about the R8 (I guess they figured, since I drove a weird car, I'd know all about it). That's all they were interested in. The three men and three women who gathered around it all pronounced it "beautiful," "gorgeous" and "aggressive." I had to agree.

I also don't get lumping the Elise in with the Atom. Yep-both are engineering high water marks. I get that. But the Elise/Exige is also one of the most aesthetically pleasing cars I've ever seen. That body better be good-looking since so much of its design was driven by looks and not aerodynamic efficiency. To put the Elise together with the Atom implies that, like the Atom, all of the Elise's beauty is in its engineering. And that's not so-at least according to the many people who have volunteered their opinions of the car at stop lights and gas stations.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.