The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Adam Carolla gets in "Top Gear"
Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:10pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC announced Monday morning what listeners to Adam Carolla's radio show have known for a while: The comedian will host the broadcaster's adaptation of the BBC's "Top Gear."

Carolla will join drift racer Tanner Foust and TV construction guru Eric Stromer as the show's presenters. "Gear" targets auto enthusiasts and mixes racing, stunts, challenges and celebrity guests.

NBC announced the show as a pilot in the winter, but the project has not yet been added to the network's year-round schedule, which was unveiled in May.

The original "Gear" premiered in 1977 and is BBC 2's most-watched program in the U.K. The show is broadcast in more than 100 countries and has been airing on BBC America since 2007.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh god, I knew the US version would never match the original but including Adam Carolla is going to make me physically sick when I watch it. I have no idea WHO thinks that guy is funny, I just find him annoying and whiney.

Looks like I'll have to keep downloading the brit episodes!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seinfeld would have been great!

Tanner is the new young "it" guy when it comes to automobile shows.

An award-winning drifter who did the main drifting stunts for "The Fast And The Furious films.

Adam Corolla does alot of driving on tracks and is dedicated car lover.

Eric Stromer ( in my opinion) would be there for the ladies. Handsome construction guy - don't know how much he knows about cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Adam Carolla and some a drift racer? They could of done so much better, but I'll watch it anyways just because there is nothing else on.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I've been pretty disappointed with supercars exposed. But i still watch it anyway. Maybe the US top gear will be less commercial, somehow I doubt it though. Would have rather have had Jay Leno, I don't watch his current show, but I respect him more as a car enthusiast.

·
Registered
114 Posts
:wallbang:

ugh... Tanner Faust may be able to drive, but he's devoid of any personality (as is shown by Supercars Exposed)...

I find Adam Corolla annoying, but i've heard he can sometimes be funny... that said, there's no way he can "carry" the show as the main presenter. They're hoping his sarcastic humor will work like Clarkson's - but whereas Jermey comes off as witty and irreverent, Corolla's will be annoying and grating...

I'm not familiar with the Eric Stromer so i'll reserve judgment for now.

I give it one season... mainly because car guys/girls are so starved for anything even remotely car-related we'll watch anything (case and point: Supercars Exposed).

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Yeah, another quality shipment of FAIL, is on it's way!

Why attempt to re-create the awesomeness that is Top Gear? We're going to release the cheap copy! LOL!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
not the best choice of hosts, but they have to start somewhere, i guess we will have to see, regardless of what happens, id still be watching THE original anyway!!!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
:wallbang:

ugh... Tanner Faust may be able to drive, but he's devoid of any personality (as is shown by Supercars Exposed)...

Yes, his personality sucks. Maybe it's the editors of Supercars Exposed, but whatever it is, it's terrible. Everything is way too scripted.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Will there be Juggies? :D

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted by Finalgear.com

"If you’re having your doubts about Adam Carolla and his recent announcement about being involved with NBC’s Top Gear (presumably hosting it), then you should listen to this podcast of his radio show from last year.

He talks about a trip he took to watch the 24 Hours of Le Mans in person, the Paris airshow he attended, and lots of other things including a rant about American cops.

Listening to this should put to ease any concerns you’re having about him hosting it. He is a bona fide car nut."

FinalGear.com :: There's Fifth Gear, There's Top Gear, And Then There Is Final Gear

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Sponsors are still going to have Adam on a short, controllable, leash.

I don't care who you get to host US Top Gear, if it's sponsor influenced it will FAIL to compare to the real Top Gear.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's no way that it will compare to the real British Top Gear. :shrug:

But maybe we'll get some more Lotus on TV! :D

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,689 Posts
Top Gear On U.S. Network TV = Not The Same

On last night's (rerun) episode, Jeremy Clarkson compared this year's Honda Type S to last year's model. He said it was slower, heavier and had only one more horsepower. It was notably slower around the track. Imagine a segment like that, when the network wants to keep Honda as a sponsor...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
2 things,

first didnt we have this thread discussion like 6 moths ago?

and, why not just air current episodes of th bbc top gear on a big network syndicated like in a prime time slot?

regardless of who the host is, i doubt it will capture the magic of the current bbc show.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
US top gear is going to suck...

Adam ... :wallbang:

Eric ... :wallbang:

Tanner... :wallbang:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts