The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently they tested the R500 on Top Gear in the UK tonight and and the Stig hustled it around the test track faster than the Veyron :coolnana:

Word is that it was 1 degree C (32 F) when they tested it and couldn't get enough temperature into the tires, so it could possibly go faster.

Hopefully there will be some video available online soon

1:17.1 – Gumpert Apollo S
1:17.3 – Ascari A10
1:17.6 – Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear wing)
1:17.8 - Pagani Zonda F Roadster
1:17.9 – Caterhams R500
1.18.3 - Bugatti Veyron 16.4
1:18.4 - Pagani Zonda F
1:18.9 – Maserati MC12
1:19.0 – Ferrari Enzo

Here is some video of a private car doing 1:17.4 but it is not official nor is it on the production car tires

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6hjM1VrElE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6hjM1VrElE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i was expecting it to pose the atom a serious challenge, but that was surprisingly fast - shows what fifty years of refinement can do for a fundamentally excellent design...it certainly looked beautiful gliding through those corners...

...how's it fare on higher-speed courses like the ring?..

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the first part

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eXCJJq_DU_s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eXCJJq_DU_s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This is amazing given the lack of aerodynamics on this car.
...i'm not sure if the top gear track opens up fast enough for aerodynamics to make a profound difference; it's pretty short...
The car is so much fun to drift like that :D
...i knew it was fast, but when i first saw the slides i really didn't expect the caterham to turn in a top-five class time...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The Donkevoort (something like that) is the only Seven that I know of with a good time at the ring. It had a hard top, wings, and a VWAG 1.8t motor with a lot of power. It beat the Porsche Carrera GT by almost 15 seconds just a few days after Porsche set what they thought was a good lap time. Otherwise Sevens are nowhere near as fast on high speed tracks with a cd of like 1.1 and about 250hp.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
RE: the video, I'd be more than happy to be seen behind the wheel of a Caterham. Dweeb or not.

Noble
That must be a UK stereotype. There aren't enough here in the US to have developed one one way or the other.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yea I would be more concerned with SUV's driving over my head than how much of a dweeb I looked.

While watching the lap I was also thinking he could have been quite a bit faster if he wasnt sliding so much.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
I want one. I will have one.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I wish top gear could get a CCXR in their hands.... that would put away any track records.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...i'm not sure if the top gear track opens up fast enough for aerodynamics to make a profound difference; it's pretty short......i
The car supposedly gets front end lift at speeds over 100mph, I've never had my car going faster than that, so can't confirm

These days, unless a car can do 180+mph it will not do a top time at the Nurburgring, it is a really fast track with some seriously long straightaways, it's a bit silly to use it as a benchmark test

knew it was fast, but when i first saw the slides i really didn't expect the caterham to turn in a top-five class time...
Yeah, it would have gone even faster if it was warmer outside. The Avon CR500's don't work so great when they are cold (they have a Treadware of 20).
By many accounts these tires aren't great track tires when hot either as they tend to overheat, but they are really excellent all round HP road tires

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
After driving Nurburgring, I think it is a bad example for most cars because of the insanely long straight. A car that could do very well on a shorter (normal) track may fall on it's flat face on the Ring.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had my caterham out at Texas World Speedway, which is a high speed track, and it hits a wall at about 125mph (on the speedo) on the banked straight. Also the front end gets light and starts to move around a bit, which makes braking and turning for the next corner a little dicey. Granted, I have the superlight america, which only has about 200 hp, a regular gearbox, and none of the junior aero bits on the nosecone, but I suspect this car wouldn't behave much differently just a little faster. I'm not yet bored or crazy enough to think I need an additional 60 hp, but maybe someday. The sequential gearbox looks fun, and the car is pretty easy to slide around in.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had my caterham out at Texas World Speedway, which is a high speed track, and it hits a wall at about 125mph (on the speedo) on the banked straight. Also the front end gets light and starts to move around a bit, which makes braking and turning for the next corner a little dicey. Granted, I have the superlight america, which only has about 200 hp, a regular gearbox, and none of the junior aero bits on the nosecone, but I suspect this car wouldn't behave much differently just a little faster. I'm not yet bored or crazy enough to think I need an additional 60 hp, but maybe someday. The sequential gearbox looks fun, and the car is pretty easy to slide around in.

I have found my speedo to be about 5mph optimistic. Do you have the 6 speed on yours? What about the a windscreen?

Yeah, at this point, I have little need for any more power :shrug:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts