The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Is it not supposed to be coming here? I'm in the market for an Exige and seeing that makes me seriously consider waiting until that's available. That's probably the sexiest thing I've seen in the last 24 hours. And I've seen some pretty sexy things in the last 24 hours.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is it not supposed to be coming here? I'm in the market for an Exige and seeing that makes me seriously consider waiting until that's available. That's probably the sexiest thing I've seen in the last 24 hours. And I've seen some pretty sexy things in the last 24 hours.
It may come here, but it won't be street legal. I'm bummed too as it seems like a great car.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It looks pretty good in person (I'm just not crazy about the rear bumper cover). I saw a couple on the production line and got to sit in the prototype at the design studios. The interior is, not surprisingly, close to identical to the previous Exige.

Unfortunately there were no test cars around to drive...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
So it has bumpers? Can you get rear ended at more than 1/8th MPH and not total the car?

If so that might be a better upgrade than even the additional 100hp.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
So it has bumpers? Can you get rear ended at more than 1/8th MPH and not total the car?

If so that might be a better upgrade than even the additional 100hp.
The rear subframe is based on the Evora subframe (but made to mate to the 111 tub, of course), so I would guess it's quite a bit stronger than the rear subframe on the previous Exige. I can't say for sure whether the bumper cover is some sort of impact resistant plastic or not.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The rear subframe is based on the Evora subframe (but made to mate to the 111 tub, of course), so I would guess it's quite a bit stronger than the rear subframe on the previous Exige. I can't say for sure whether the bumper cover is some sort of impact resistant plastic or not.
The rear bumper has no flexibility - it is fiberglass and part of the rear clam. Any minor tap and there is damage.

It still remains to be seen if these will get sold - the recent acquisition of Proton to DRB Hicom has delayed production of customer cars under deposit until August/September (realistically) and that is "IF" DRB-Hicom doesn't sell Lotus to the Chinese (which according to the British PM yesterday is underway).

There is no question the show underway right now with the V6 Exige is getting stepped up and recieved as intended.

The interior is exactly the same with exception of the start button and stitching and upholstery.

At this moment - there isn't a realistic chance this car will come to the US until next year (as a track car - again providing these cars actually do get produced and if the company isn't Chinese by then or some other sale happens). Lotus currently does not have the $ to invest in the US required, Exige specific multi-stage air bags or pay for the car to be federalized (however they can drop all kinds of $ on peculiar racing efforts and Dany's residence :confused: - but I digress).

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I realize there are currently some on the assembly line - but you do know those aren't going to any customers. Those will be going to dealerships for a test drive promotion.

Exige S production will be after back logged Evora and Elise orders are completed - which at 44 cars a week (full capacity) puts it 6 months from now.

I'm not sure if all this pre-hype from last weeks press will help sell the cars or hurt sales. There already seems to be some fallout from buyers upset about the delay, the timing of production and instability of Lotus. Customer cars will be delivered the latter part of the year when sports cars don't exactly fly out of the showroom. There are buyers on the British forums who put deposits down that are trying to get them back and cancel the order because of the delay and timing of taxes (in the UK there is a type of emissions tax pertaining to a cars CO2 that the Evora had and now the V6 Exige will too) which is compelling those delayed to rather wait till the next full calendar year. It also lets them wait it out to see what happens in the next few weeks with Lotus and DRB-Hicom since (again according to the PM) they are almost already practically sold to Youngman in China. I think if I were serious about buying this car, I would not put a deposit down in Lotus's current atmosphere.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I fail to see how Youngman or any other Chinese company buying Lotus automatically equals Lotus stopping all future production of the current cars or them pulling out of the US, as seems to be the assumption.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I love the new exige, especially in that color.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I fail to see how Youngman or any other Chinese company buying Lotus automatically equals Lotus stopping all future production of the current cars or them pulling out of the US, as seems to be the assumption.
No - to explain, I don't mean to suggest Lotus would pull out of the US. In fact that wouldn't be in anyone's interest and actually helps thier business case. At the moment though, there is no realistic possibility of the V6 Exige coming to the US because of cost constraints intentionally not put into the development of the car (air bags, crash testing, certification).

As far as what impact there will be to production remains to be seen. We have already witnessed an unexpected halt to production as a result of DRB-Hicom buying Proton. If a Chinese company purchases Lotus, I am sure a option considered with any potential profitability model will be the cost of labor in China versus the cost of labor in Hethel. That's all I'm saying. I can't predict if it will be another Volvo-type scenerio or if it will be an MG-type scenario.

There is a lot of time between now and when the V6 Exige production is scheduled to begin and a lot can happen. There is certain to be change no matter how this concludes. Hopefully it is for the better - but right now, things aren't looking good.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
No - to explain, I don't mean to suggest Lotus would pull out of the US. In fact that wouldn't be in anyone's interest and actually helps thier business case. At the moment though, there is no realistic possibility of the V6 Exige coming to the US because of cost constraints intentionally not put into the development of the car (air bags, crash testing, certification).

As far as what impact there will be to production remains to be seen. We have already witnessed an unexpected halt to production as a result of DRB-Hicom buying Proton. If a Chinese company purchases Lotus, I am sure a option considered with any potential profitability model will be the cost of labor in China versus the cost of labor in Hethel. That's all I'm saying. I can't predict if it will be another Volvo-type scenerio or if it will be an MG-type scenario.

There is a lot of time between now and when the V6 Exige production is scheduled to begin and a lot can happen. There is certain to be change no matter how this concludes. Hopefully it is for the better - but right now, things aren't looking good.
+1 the only thing I'll add is that there was serious talks about making this vehicle street legal for the US (North American martket) after LCU said it would not but since then things have been quite.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts