1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It seems I will be there for no other reason that my friend got tickets and I am curious :panic:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey...btw.. Patrick. I will be doing some work with Big Dog and your buddy for the upcoming Monterey Historic thing.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 1:30 ones were available an hour ago

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Tanner Foust is co-hosting??? Hmmm...always interesting to see if the athlete can be an equally successful announcer. Tanner had quite the tough time at Redline Time Attack last weekend...hopefully this will go better for him.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't care if I live to be a hundred, as long as I live I will NEVER see an episode of that abortion.

I might try and make a live taping so I can heckle.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Just got back from the taping. Signed a non-disclosure form (wouldn't want to spoil it anyway), but I will say it was AWESOME!!!

I was skeptical, but it really was great. The cast, especially Carolla, was much better than expected.

Standing in the audience was brutal though, would not want to do that again.

Apparently 2300 people had tickets (Don't think that many actually showed up though), I was really lucky to get in as they only allowed 400 and a lot of people did not get in

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Just got back from the taping. Signed a non-disclosure form (wouldn't want to spoil it anyway), but I will say it was AWESOME!!!

I was skeptical, but it really was great. The cast, especially Carolla, was much better than expected.

Standing in the audience was brutal though, would not want to do that again.

Apparently 2300 people had tickets (Don't think that many actually showed up though), I was really lucky to get in as they only allowed 400 and a lot of people did not get in
Excellent, we need some more car TV... Can you give us a list of cars that were evaluated?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I was skeptical at first that it could be any good at all- as compared to the original BBC version. But Mopho's comments make me think there's hope that this could be a decent show-that would be great! Still love those BBC guys though!!!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
What network will it air on and when?
NBC, no word on when

I was skeptical at first that it could be any good at all- as compared to the original BBC version. But Mopho's comments make me think there's hope that this could be a decent show-that would be great! Still love those BBC guys though!!!

Here is a report from Autoblog that seems to sum it up pretty well.

Filming for the NBC pilot for Top Gear has wrapped. Speculation about the show's format and hosting choices has left Top Gear fans hoping for at least a decent representation of the popular British show. Some of those prayers may be answered , as NBC brought in a number of BBC folks, along with the original Top Gear producer, the assist in the pilot's taping. The show follows the BBC version's format, right down to the set details. Also, as noted earlier, the "star in a reasonably priced car" segment gets carried over. However, the driver might come as a bit of a surprise (a really awesome surprise, at that). The signature top-notch video production viewers expect is there, though it must be said that the geography of the United States offers a richer variety of visual possibilities than you might be accustomed to seeing on Jeremy & Co.'s show.

One key to the BBC Top Gear's is the camraderie between the presenters. As such, it's probably a little unfair to compare the Top Gear of today, 11 seasons in, to a crew just coming together for the first time. Still, Corolla, Foust and Stromer are off to a good start. Their interactions during taped segments were wildly entertaining, enough to distract the show's own crew members from their tasks. Each host fits into his own role, but not the exact molds laid out by Jezza, Hamster and Captain Slow. Corolla's razor-sharp wit is on full display. Causing at least one member of the audience to say, "That is the most funny Adam Corolla has ever been." Foust is also not made out to be anything more than a total car geek -- his true personality. His enthusiasm may be too technical for general consumption on its own, but it's perfectly complimented by Corolla's blunt comedy. Stromer doesn't fare nearly as well. Before the live audience, he comes across as if he were presenting a sales pitch to a room full of prospective timeshare buyers. Hopefully, he'll adapt his field mannerisms, which are far more easygoing, into his studio presence in the future. That is, if the show has a future on American television.
Autoblog

Stromer was a bit wooden, and Carolla picked up on it and called him out on the show lol
In the field they had great chemistry

For me, I think the only slight disappointment would be that they copied the UK formula exactly, which of course is a good thing, but I kind of feel that the American show should have had it's own look/feel to it. Perhaps with time it will find its own voice

1 - 20 of 22 Posts