The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so last Saturday was the warmest day this year and I took the top off for the first time since I owned the elise. :shift:

I went to the insurance place to get insurance for my bike. So I parked right outside the broker place, rolled up the windows, lock the doors and walked in. I can see the car right outside from the store but I need to turn around to do that.

A few ppl surrounded the car like any other day and I didn’t really pay much attention to it.

I came back out, unlocked the door and WTF?! Where is my favorite pair of Chanel sunglasses?! :eek: I remember I put it in the shelf in front of the passenger side. Needless to say, I was super pissed the rest of the day….

Today morning, I had nothing better to do so I went on craigslist and search for sunglasses. I found a guy selling a pair of authentic Chanel sunglasses for $50 :rolleyes: After a few emails exchange with this guy I’m 99% sure these are my glasses as they are quite rare. I got the guys full name, apartment address and phone number. I will be meeting up with this guy this afternoon.

I still have the case and receipt of these glasses. I will be meeting this guy this afternoon with a good buddy of mine ,who is a UFC fighter, just in case :thwack:

I think this is too small a case to contact the local law enforcement.
What would you do? How would you approach this guy selling MY pair of glasses?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like you've got the right idea, bringing your UFC buddy with you. Make 100% sure they are in fact your sunglasses (any recognizable scratches or marks) before you begin the ass whooping! That would suck if you beat the guy down, and he's got a receipt!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
For quick things like that, rolling up the windows, i throw everything (including radio face plate) on the other side of the passenger footwell thing... its too far to reach if the windows are up, unless someone jumped into the car

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Didn't you have your motion dectector set when you parked the car?
If so it should have gone off.
Try locking the car the same way and seeing if it goes off when you try to take another pair of sunglasses out of the same spot.

You might get in trouble if the guy thinks you are trying to rob him of something that he owns. Remeber OJ and his goons in the hotel room trying to get his stuff back that he didnt have a legal claim too and how they got arrested.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Judge the book by it's cover...grab the glasses and run.;) If he stole them, he won't put up much of a fight. No sense going to jail for a beat down though.:cool:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
That would totally pissed me off also! Sorry that it happened to you. Smart move checking out craiglist.

However,

How do you know for sure if it is in fact yours? Is there a serial number (matching the receipt info) or identifying mark - photos? Not to be sarcastic, but is it possible that another person might also bought the same thing since they produced more than one?!

If it's confirmed that he has your glasses, then he's guilty of possession of stolen property - call the police. You can't prove that he's the person who actually took it unless and he confesses/admits of taking them out of your car without permission. If so, don't forget to write down his license plate number also and bring a another person as a witness. Just my $0.02! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
i don't condone anything from the first post, but....

ask the seller if he has the original purchase receipt. you know, for warranty purposes.

you do not want a false positive over a pair of sunglasses.

·
Registered
382 Posts
WTF that's messed, yeah I'm surprised the motion sensor didn't go off. Damn Vancouver isn't as safe as it used 2 be! If u can identify that they r urs by some sort of mark or serial # I might ask him how he's enjoying YOUR sunglasses.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Give the guy $50 and get a receipt. Then (if there's a serial number) take that to the cops.

Don't put yourself in a position where you spend thousands of dollars asking a jury to understand the situation and not convict you.

Steve

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I would go there with your buddy waiting by a get away car, be nice and cordial, ask to try them on outside so you can see how well they work in sunlight. Then say, these are awesome I will take em ! oh crap my wallet is in my car, be right back ...... and run off quickly , if he tries to stop you physically , you are outside, not in his house, and your buddy can defend you legally, you can hop in your car and bolt.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
A good place to hide things with top-off...

If you don't want to put things in the boot then alternatively a good place is under the dash.
An exposed aluminum ledge resides in back of the headlight switch cluster.
The ledge is accesseable by reaching behind the horizontal aluminum bar and to the upper left
of the dead pedal. Really reach!

put my V1 there if my top is off.

Attachments

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Sounds like quite an adventure ahead. I'm curious how things pan out. Definitely be careful and not quit to judge or come to conclusions.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Didn't something like this happened to O.J. and his friends. :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
The identical thing happened to me about three months ago. My car got broken into in a parking garage in downtown San Jose. The only thing stolen, and worth stealing, was an iPod Nano with a pink protective case and traveling speakers. I went on craigslist that night to find my wife a replacement iPod and came across a listing in San Jose for guess what…yap, a iPod Nano w/a pink case, traveling speaker, and no cables. Gees…I wonder why no cables *@&^#@!!! After seeing the listing, I got fired up like you. I filed a police report through the Internet, tried contacting the seller via email and phone (they listed their number) in hopes to meet him. I was even more luck because my wife kept the original iPod box that listed the serial number. Unfortunately, the iPod sold when I finally got a hold of the seller by phone.

Most of my friends told me it was probably for the good that I never met the seller. They said I might have done something irrational like beat up the fool and gotten more trouble then what had originally happened (stealing an iPod). Even worse the seller really may have been a thug and could have seriously hurt me. At the end of the day, losing a couple hundred bucks was probably for the best.

I recommend talking all the information to the police to have them deal with the situation. They probably will not want to deal with it, as it's such a small case. But you may want to think of the worst that can happen and how it may impact your family and friends.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Damn - I did not even know Chanel sold sunglasses, but low and behold on Epay there are 14 pairs for sale. All of them way overpriced and I got to say it, really Fugly, if you know what I mean.

Look at it like it was God's way of telling you to get a pair of Oakley.....

Torro :coolnana:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I reach in my car to get the garage door opener all the time while it is armed. Only went off once

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are the sunglasses worth more than the repercussions of criminal and civil charges this person will file against you and your UFC buddy if either or both of you assault him? Potential incarceration, fines, court costs, lawyer fees, and civil damages in a civil suit for personal injury. Regardless of whether you can prove he stole the glasses, you cannot "legally" engage in physical self-help. I don't agree with the law and prefer your method, but its still the law and something you have to consider. Regardless, keep us posted and Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts