The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road and track squeezed 72.4 MPH on a 2005 Elise in a 6 cone with 100 foot spacing slalom when they reviewed the car in 2005. How close has anyone come to 72.4 MPH in this scenario?
The reason why I ask is the local corvette club has invited me to come play on one of "their" autocross courses, which tends to be a speed course. The car will be running with Hoosier A6 tires and BWR sway bar on the middle setting, LSS suspension. I happen to know their slalom section is going to be 100 foot spacing. At 70MPH you travel about 102 feet per second, so it will be just over one cone per second.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I have never actually looked at the speedometer when Im attacking a slalom, or really any other element on course. However, I have banged the rev limiter in 2nd gear numerous times. With the calculations I have done, that should be around 87mph. I dont think a speed of 70 something would be all that hard to obtain...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd gear maxes out at about 65, 3rd gear maxes out around 85.. But thank you for responding, I also remember banging my rev limiter in second gear on slaloms.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
You have to take all the car magazine data with a big grain of salt.

Not autocross, but the data in C & D's VIR fastest lap is case in point. They have a 2005 n/a Elise lapping considerably faster than a factory supercharged later model Elise. They had an Exige S220 lapping considerably faster than an Exige S260.

Their stats, and those in other magazines, are pretty much good for bench racing and not much else.

·
Vendor
3,094 Posts
You want to be early on the slaloms trying to backside the cones, then look down the line and get into a rhythm. Firm but not abrupt inputs. If you are running stock shocks that will be the limiter as the rebound hangs the back end up.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice Fred, Shame you can't come down to Sierra Vista this Saturday and help some of the Vette owners develope a bit of respect for the Elise.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Fred, last bit of bait I can toss your way. I will pay your entry fee, and the pad here has much better grip (and is flatter) than Marana.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corvette clubs like raw speed, so the courses tend to (but not always) not be as tight as SCCA courses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts