The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with my mechanic; we talked about performance figures on the new Elise. His remark was the increased HP would benefit the Elise in 0-60 and 1/4-mile times and increase its performance especially on a smaller tighter track. However, marginal performance figures on an open road. When we discussed top speed he informed me the numbers would vary based on conditions expect between 125-140 being ideal. (The roof could also affect the top speed as well on or off). Any one wanna share their own experience with this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would guess the car probably don't have too much top end speed when compare to 6cyl or 8cyl cars. It should get to 120 quickly but probably would slow down a bit after that.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Reports from the Miata forum claim that the Miata (with 140HP and higher Cd and frontal area than the Elise) can reach around 125MPH. The Acura Integra GS-R, with similar power to the Elise and larger frontal area (possibly similar Cd) will go about 140MPH. I would expect the Elise to go a little faster than that, although I'd probably never test those limits myself. It just isn't that interesting to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
More from LA Show

I must've been talking to a different Lotus guy at LA, because he told me they actually took one up to 150 mph (I'm assuming 150.000001 or something) just to be able to say it had been done (even though there is apparently some rounding up permitted by law when quoting top speed numbers). I suspect they had to coat it in butter or something to get there though...:)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Lotus is saying the car can reach 150mph. As I understand it, it's not mainly an issue of power, because power determines how quickly you can get there... but more a factor of wind resistance and gearing.

A low power car, if resistant to the wind enough and has the gearing, can eventually get to a higher top speed, than a high powered brick.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Lotus is saying the car can reach 150mph. As I understand it, it's not mainly an issue of power, because power determines how quickly you can get there... but more a factor of wind resistance and gearing.

A low power car, if resistant to the wind enough and has the gearing, can eventually get to a higher top speed, than a high powered brick.
Power is very much the issue. So is the coefficent of drag, and the frontal area. For a nice little discussion, see this link . In short, power required goes up with the cube of the velocity, and is proportional to Cd and frontal area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Elise is a little different with (more) Honda/Spoon B18C power and lower gearing than the US Spec S2.

It runs at 4000rpm at 75mph in top gear.
Peak power is at ~8400rpm. It feels like 140-150 would be the limit. I used to have a 1990 model 911 C4 coupe, which is a 160mph car, and that car felt faster at high speeds than the Elise does (did 150 in it once but not in the USA).

The fastest I've taken the Elise on the track is the rev limit in 4th gear (9100 :) which was about 120mph on Willow Springs front straight. I was looking for my braking point when I heard/felt the limiter kick in, not at the tachometer! I think I had the fabric top or no top at all that weekend. Also I have the standard 8000rpm tach, so have no redline, and have to guess - 9100 is near the fuel level readout :)

I have the S1 optional rear spoiler and hardtop, with lowered stiffer LSS, and may have been a little faster elsewhere, purely for research purposes. Problem is that what seem like straight flat roads at normal speeds have tight corners and bumps when you try to go twice as fast.... it did feel stable, although I have heard that the stock suspension is too soft for very high speeds.

HTH.

·
Registered
637 Posts
IMO Lotus are conservative on top speed numbers.
My 117bhp car does about 130mph, with much the same frontal area/drag as the 190bhp elise. I suspect 150mph is not unattainable with 190bhp.

Craigy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts