The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about supercharging my Elise and I was wondering if anyone has done top speed runs with their supercharged cars. What is the difference between the Rev 400 and the VFTVS Kit?

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Top speed isn't going to change very much. The gearing is still the same, so you're only going to improve by whatever amount of additional wind resistance you can push through.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I disagree the speed isnt gearing limited for practical purposes, so power should be a direct function of top speed.

If you assume peak power at speed goes from 200 to 300 and drag force goes up with the square of velocity (making power go up with the cube). The tope speed goes from about 150mph to 171

Just some "back of envelope" estimation. Note that if you add any areo in your mod process this is thrown out

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Top speed isn't going to change very much. The gearing is still the same, so you're only going to improve by whatever amount of additional wind resistance you can push through.
I didn't think of that. I'll have to see if I can reach redline in 6th gear.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
There is true top speed and usable top speed. One you can reach if you have an unlimited runway, one is the fastest you can get in a given application (like the track). My usable top speed is about 112 but I'm sure a power bump would raise that considerably.

So depends on what you're looking for. Most could care less about how fast they can get by simply holding th pedal down for a while...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I disagree the speed isnt gearing limited for practical purposes, so power should be a direct function of top speed.

If you assume peak power at speed goes from 200 to 300 and drag force goes up with the square of velocity (making power go up with the cube). The tope speed goes from about 150mph to 171

Just some "back of envelope" estimation. Note that if you add any areo in your mod process this is thrown out
I don't believe this is true... I believe a few people have come to the same conclusion that the 2zz lotus is in fact gear limited in terms of top speed with extra power added.

IIRC the top speed is only like 165 or so based on the long term revlimit in 6th. (remember the 8400 rpm revlimit is only allowed for short bursts).

So to answer the OPs question there is no practical difference in top speed between the 2 supercharger kits as they are both gear limited.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I didn't think of that. I'll have to see if I can reach redline in 6th gear.
You won't be able to, you'll tap out at 145 to 150 indicated, which is about 6% over actual.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I don't believe this is true... I believe a few people have come to the same conclusion that the 2zz lotus is in fact gear limited in terms of top speed with extra power added.

IIRC the top speed is only like 165 or so based on the long term revlimit in 6th. (remember the 8400 rpm revlimit is only allowed for short bursts).

So to answer the OPs question there is no practical difference in top speed between the 2 supercharger kits as they are both gear limited.
Ok i thought the gear limit was closer to 175. If its 160 ish that should be your topspeed with anything over around 250 whp. Of course if you are motivated by topspeed you can work on the heads and raise the limiter a bit or get bigger diameter rear tires. Seems acedemic to me unless you have access to a superspeedway or great life insurance policy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ok i thought the gear limit was closer to 175. If its 160 ish that should be your topspeed with anything over around 250 whp. Of course if you are motivated by topspeed you can work on the heads and raise the limiter a bit or get bigger diameter rear tires. Seems acedemic to me unless you have access to a superspeedway or great life insurance policy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yup top speed is just not the Elise's thing. Lots of other cars are better for that.

Fastest I have ever been was just shy of 130 (actual) at the drag strip and the back straight at Gingerman. Only other time I'll ever go faster is at Road America and even then I'm sure I won't be going 160! Just no practical (and safe) place to actually hit the top speed.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Not sure I would want to be in an Elige over 150, unless it had some serious aero mods.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
By the way the standard Celica GTS transmission would your best bet as it has a slightly longer 6th gear. In case didn't notice that our 6th isn't exactly a big drop from 5th.
honestly... i just thought 6th was the same as 5th... but lotus gave us an extra gear in case 5th ever broke

:p

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
My Rev400 gets up to 165mph pretty easily (around 8000rpm in 6th) GPS verified by my DL1. That's as fast as I dared to go on a long one-mile highway stretch. It was a white-knuckle affair.

I'm running 245/45/17 rear tires so my speedo is only off by 2% instead of 7%... much better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts