The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:nanner2:

I wanted to get a top ten list of items that need to be replaced or fixed on the elise. I have had my Elise for 2 months and I wanted to be prepared what will fail on the Elise.

---wirelessjava

:shrug: :nanner2: :sad:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
tires A048s 2000 miles or less depending on the camber and type of driving, see codymac's shining example of tire destruction.

apart from that its glueing things back on or cutting off extra bits of glue and making sure all the nuts and bolts are set correctly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What is the Micro mirror? I did a google and didn't come with anything appropriate for a car!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
charliex said:
tires A048s 2000 miles or less depending on the camber and type of driving, see codymac's shining example of tire destruction.
LOL! When I read the title, my first thought was "tires!"

rotfl

·
Registered
820 Posts
codymac said:
LOL! When I read the title, my first thought was "tires!"

rotfl
Yeah, but 2K mi ? Unless that's 100% track, you're doing too many burnouts!!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Loose screw in left window track... easy fix.
Remove visors -- I'm tall and they block forward view. I drive with the top off most of the time and use the visor on a ball cap.
"Embellisher rings" -- my headliht housings exhibitied some solar etching from one 3 hour drive.
Adjust headlights to project farther (dip beam).

While having the headlight work done, I commented about the plastic grille in front of the right oil cooler being loose. The problem is just a loose screw. The tech at the dealership offered to fix it -- 2 people working 3 hours to remove front clam, tighten screw, and reassemble. I'm sure they would have been happy to do it -- ~$600 warranty labor charge to Lotus. I declined since I didn't want to wait that long and I still have a lot of time/miles left on the warranty.

One problem I haven't had yet... many cars have in hot climates... front speaker grilles pop off. The plastic speaker mount/grille support ring dries out very quickly and shrinks. While at the shop, I peaked into the "warranty parts" closet and saw a huge pile of these rings (along with a pile of shifters... early '05s).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Micro Mirror, OEM too big
B&M Shifter, OEM breaks
Valeo Wiper Blade, OEM smears water
PIAA H1/H7 Bulbs, OEM very weak, Align
Lotus Aux Lights
Sunvisors Removed, could not see stoplights with them on
Fujita Intake, cool sound no power
Stage II Exhaust, cool sound no power
Optima Red Top Battery, OEM spills acid and goes dead in a week without tender
Lotus Rear Badge, stock rear letters are really cheap
Remove Shims, see alignment to correct understeer
Break Pads and Tires Wear quick
Check for leaks oil, tranny, radiator
Nitron Shocks for Adjustability
Infiniti Speakers, OEM sucks
Stainless Brake Lines for Peace of Mind
Brake Fluid Motul RF600
Leather Center Console / AC Surround
Stickercity Stripe Kit

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If my first elise was any indication.

gas, gas , gas etc. didn't encounter any problems on that car up to 6k miles. Been lucky too top wise, both of the elises I've had have been in torrential downpours at varying speeds as well as parked, no leaks, touch wood.

I did note on this one tho, on the drivers side sill, foam rubber tape tends to work its way down every few months. trim with a razor blade.
Chris

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Okay...where did the thread go about "things I cannot live without" or "must haves" for the Elise?:shrug: I went through all the posts and could not find it! Can somebody help me out? This is a similar thread. Ideas?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
rnr said:
Roof leaks - unless you were one of the lucky people to get a watertight car.
Wow - for once i must be lucky!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Things I had to fix/adjust (so far):

-Shifter boot came loose (cheesy zip-tie job)
-Speaker grill pop off
-Rubber seals roll-over around head lights
-Crack mirror housing discovered during PDI (still waiting for parts)

Things I would like to replace:

-Smaller rear view mirror
-Leather console cover

·
Registered
634 Posts
what mirror did you use?

lotuscar said:
#1 Get rid of the tacky LOTUS stickers (I had LASER cut letters made)

#2 Get a "right sized" rear view mirror ( $21 with shipping )

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.