The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
that thing looks cooler than a witches boob in a brass bra. I wonder how much power the 3.5 l is capable of with some mild tweaking.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm still trying to warm up to that thing. Not liking how much bigger it is than the previous one, and still not liking the back end.
Wonder if the new Lotus owners will consider mailing them out over the pond to us?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Is there an episode with this, I would really like to see this in action!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I'm still trying to warm up to that thing. Not liking how much bigger it is than the previous one, and still not liking the back end.
Wonder if the new Lotus owners will consider mailing them out over the pond to us?
Agreed! I hate the back end on that car. It's too square and unshapely compared to the previous Exige. I like d'em curvy rears, ya know?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Completely agree. It looks too dated, they've gone backwards with that aspect of the styling IMO. It doesn't look modern and sleek. It looks garish and old school.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would get one!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nice read; was a bit disappointed to read that there might have not been an improvement to the shifter system:

"Weirdly, the gearchange doesn't have quite the same connection. It could be because this particular 'box is so new, but each shift requires a deliberate movement to get the lever into the right place, especially as you shift across the gate. If you rush, it gets a bit crunchy."

EDIT: Watched the video & the Electronics are very impressive! Looks to be a well balanced approach to the handling with the additional power injection from the S2.

·
Premium Member
6,756 Posts
My Exige driving track buddies are drooling for this and SEVERAL of them have already made serious inquiries!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I spoke to one the local Lotus guys - well known track dude - and apparently he has one on order that will wind up in the Midwest.

Don't know how he McGyver'd it, but from all accounts, there will be an Exige S in the States soon...

·
Registered
389 Posts
When these were first announced I made a call to the local Lotus dealer where I bought my elise. I was dead serious. They could get me one, LHD with all the options I wanted no problem. However it would be a track only car....no chance of getting it on the road. The bumper exemption is what appears to have killed the deal. Track only killed it for me.

I can't understand how I could go out and build a hotrod or a kit car with essentially no crash protection and get it licenced but I can't get a car from a manufacturer that has full airbag & crash structure engineering built in and is for all intents and purposes the same as the car from the preceding year on the road. Yeah I know they had a period of exemption to bring the bumpers into the low speed crash spec and they didn't (never had any intention of doing so I don't think). I don't know how hard Lotus tried to get an extention or a waiver for the new Exige or if they did the math and figured that they would not sell enough in North America to warrant the costs.

I think there would have been a bit of interest in the car here, how much I don't know. I would have been in line for sure. Anybody Else? Assume a cost of $90k.

I guess it's just the latest victim of the goverments war on fun.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I spoke to one the local Lotus guys - well known track dude - and apparently he has one on order that will wind up in the Midwest.

Don't know how he McGyver'd it, but from all accounts, there will be an Exige S in the States soon...
Just curious, not that I'm considering one, but did he say how much?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I can't understand how I could go out and build a hotrod or a kit car with essentially no crash protection and get it licenced but I can't get a car from a manufacturer that has full airbag & crash structure engineering built in and is for all intents and purposes the same as the car from the preceding year on the road. Yeah I know they had a period of exemption to bring the bumpers into the low speed crash spec and they didn't (never had any intention of doing so I don't think). I don't know how hard Lotus tried to get an extention or a waiver for the new Exige or if they did the math and figured that they would not sell enough in North America to warrant the costs.

I think there would have been a bit of interest in the car here, how much I don't know. I would have been in line for sure. Anybody Else? Assume a cost of $90k.

I guess it's just the latest victim of the goverments war on fun.
of course you are correct, but this is nothing new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts