The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found the Lotus Evora IPS color combination that I been looking for last 7 years but it has around 40K miles asking is $46500 but the wife wants a 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman with 1500 miles for $50K that a friends dad is selling (his wife recently passed and he is going to a retirement home)

Specs:
2018 Porsche 718 with 1500 miles - options has PASM and Sport Chrono, 18-way leather seat, 20" Carrera wheels but no Nav and a couple of other cosmetic options (love the sport chrono/PASM option)

2013 Evora with 40K miles - all options are a plack exhaust and excellent service record from the owner (he owned a 2011 and the 2013 Evora)

Trying to convince her that 40K miles is not to bad versus getting a Cayman - just wanted to get your opinion regarding to the high mileage on an Evora?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Are they in the same price range? I’d think the Evora is half the cost of the Cayman.

But no . . . 40K miles is not awful on an Evora if it was taken care of properly.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
40k on a Toyota engine? That's really nothing when you consider that in a Camry, with little more than routine maintenance, these engines routinely do 300k miles and beyond.

Re: the Cayman, I get the appeal. I really do. But here are a couple points to buttress your argument for the Evora: The Evora is much more exotic. It has a Toyota drivetrain. Consumables are probably considerably cheaper and overall it just feels more special.

Caymans are fantastic cars, but there is one around every corner. Then there are the optics, of course. Most people don't even know what a Lotus is, they light up when they see it. People smile and point and pull out their phones. I don't think too many Cayman drivers experience that. And Porsches come with a certain...stereotype? I'm reminded of this joke:

What's the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche?
With the car, the pricks are on the inside.

Unfair, but it gets laughs for a reason. And I am by no means disparaging Porche or the people who drive them, I personally love them, and almost bought a Cayman on a few occasions. I still love the 986/987 and when the 981 came out...I was crushing hard on that car for a while.

Will this be a weekend fun car, or are one of you using it as your daily? Because if this was going to be a daily, that's a point for the Cayman.

Also, the 718? That's the latest one, so no more flat six? I think that's a point for the Evora.

I guess the good news is that this is really a win/win because these are both great cars. But if you've been looking for the last 7 years, as you stated...I mean, that's a long time to be pining for something. After 7 years, will anything else really do?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
188 Posts
Happy wife...happy life...However in this instance I would say go with the Lotus. The lotus has the "supercar" appeal that the Cayman does not. I see Caymans on the road all the time, but rarely see another Lotus. Do yourself a favor and get the Lotus :). Or somehow convince her to get both. Im not biased either. Ive been wanting to pick up a Cayman for a while as a track car so I love them both equally.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
95 Posts
This reminds me of a time when I finally could afford a brand new corvette. The wife put her foot down and demanded I get an automatic. I caved and did. I regretted it so much I'll went out and bought a Dodge Neon ACR for the thrills of a manual. Wound up driving the Dodge much more than the Corvette.
Stick to your guns. Plead with your wife that the Evora is your 7 year itch. If she loves you, she'll come around ( I wound up divorcing mine since she was just as wrong for me as was that automatic Vette ).

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Just going by reviews (and experience with turbo fours), the 718 is NOT going to hold value well at all, but the Evoras seem to have hit a bottom around $40k. If she's set on a Cayman, it seems the 6 is the way to go. If it is possible, get her behind the wheel of both on some decent roads, and see which speaks to either of you. Reading about cars is good homework, but the final exam is driving them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I own an Elise and a 2014 Cayman S (flat six, stick); I briefly owned an Evora. For me, personally, the Evora was just another nice car. I guess the Cayman is also just another nice car. The Elise is an experience unto itself. But I bought a bright yellow Cayman, and even my mechanic has a huge smile on his face when I bring the car in. People photograph it while passing on the interstate. And people walk across the parking lot to see it. It looks like a super car, at least in their eyes.

I certainly would drive both before you make a decision. The Cayman, at 325 hp, does not feel as peppy as my Audi TT, at 250 hp. The Cayman delivers flat, even power, right up to the red line, which means that down shifting for more torque does not appear to happen. The Elise I drive at 3K RPM at minimum, and up to 6K routinely. As I said, a different driving experience.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have you got the same post on the Porsche forum? I’d be interested to see what they say about the Lotus.haha

Obviously going to get biased opinions here.

Is the car mainly for you or her?
You need to drive both.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Have you got the same post on the Porsche forum? I’d be interested to see what they say about the Lotus.haha

Obviously going to get biased opinions here.

Is the car mainly for you or her?
You need to drive both.
You BOTH need to drive both.... Just sayin'.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Drive both, personally though for the same money, I would get the Cayman over a base Evora. Better fit and finish, the non supercharged evoras never felt fast and they weight just about the same. The cayman is more usable as it has both the frunk and trunk, and a lot more usable torque down low. Plus Porsche shifter feel is second to none.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Drive both, personally though for the same money, I would get the Cayman over a base Evora. Better fit and finish, the non supercharged evoras never felt fast and they weight just about the same. The cayman is more usable as it has both the frunk and trunk, and a lot more usable torque down low. Plus Porsche shifter feel is second to none.
But how do you get a new Cayman for the price of a 7 year old Evora?

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Something doesn't make sense here. I just got my NEW loaded 2103 Evora IPS for 45K. You will negotiate to low 40's easy.
Why is the the 2018 Cayman only 50K?? Stripper with no optiuons. Guy just getting rid of it. Buy the Cayman for 5oK, sell it for 60K and buy the Evora. You have money for the SC upgrade....and a FAR better looking car. JIMHO.

·
Loves to talk
1,058 Posts
A completely stripped zero option Cayman lists for 60K if you can find a totally un-optioned one. To buy a new one of any spec for $50K suggests that Porsche is having trouble selling the base 718. This is a discount by percentage greater than people are seeing on new GTs. Consider what this situation will do to Cayman used values. It suggests that a previously owned one year old Cayman should sell for about $40k. I wonder if the new Vette's advertised MSRP (that you can't buy it for, but sounds good in ads) has had an impact on this situation. Which has the most depreciation when you look at it that way? You needn't guess: it's not the Lotus.

The tradition of (modern) Porsche's superior resale values compared to our cars doesn't hold up as regards the bulk of Porsche's basic cooking models. I took that into account when I bought mine three years ago as there didn't seem to be a lot of evidence that a reasonably optioned Cayman S (the closest actual price competitor for a new Evora 400 at the time) would hold value better than the Evora. I found on closer examination that Cayman vs Lotus resale values makes this pretty clear. The GT4 may do a bit better in that respect but I wouldn't count on it longer term. I understand they will be building as many GT4s as their market will bear for this latest version and that's entirely understandable. However, exclusivity, rarity and and attendant decent resale values remains a strength of recent Lotus models. In any case and regardless of price, it makes an Evora look to be a car with a relatively favorable depreciation record. A 40K Evora is about the bottom of the price bracket at this time but for older Caymans and Boxsters I'm not sure there is a truly firm bottom to resale value.

That said, there's no reason not to take advantage of the situation. The Cayman is still a highly desirable artifact and factoring new against used gives the Porsche an allure I don't necessarily find in a ten year old Evora even if it is by far my preference when judged new to new.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You BOTH need to drive both.... Just sayin'.
Yeah I’d have a go in one. But I’m not cross shopping one because they don’t interest me. If I was though I’d definitely try both.

Do what brgelise says. Buy the Porsche for cheap, keep the wife happy until you get a massive Porsche service bill then sell if for a profit and buy a Lotus.

(just jks in the service bill because we all know Lotus can be the same if your unlucky and don’t do your own work)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Something doesn't make sense here. I just got my NEW loaded 2103 Evora IPS for 45K. You will negotiate to low 40's easy.
Why is the the 2018 Cayman only 50K?? Stripper with no optiuons. Guy just getting rid of it. Buy the Cayman for 5oK, sell it for 60K and buy the Evora. You have money for the SC upgrade....and a FAR better looking car. JIMHO.
I been going back and forth with the Lotus Evora seller and he doesn't want to lower the asking price

My friends dad his kids are selling the Cayman - attached are the options of the 718 - they hated the idea that their 77 year old dad bought the Porsche Cayman 718 two years ago but the times I saw him he enjoyed the car :)

IMG_9492.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
I finally found the Lotus Evora IPS color combination that I been looking for last 7 years but it has around 40K miles asking is $46500 but the wife wants a 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman with 1500 miles for $50K that a friends dad is selling (his wife recently passed and he is going to a retirement home)

Specs:
2018 Porsche 718 with 1500 miles - options has PASM and Sport Chrono, 18-way leather seat, 20" Carrera wheels but no Nav and a couple of other cosmetic options (love the sport chrono/PASM option)

2013 Evora with 40K miles - all options are a plack exhaust and excellent service record from the owner (he owned a 2011 and the 2013 Evora)

Trying to convince her that 40K miles is not to bad versus getting a Cayman - just wanted to get your opinion regarding to the high mileage on an Evora?
My 2010 Evora is 68k miles, the more you drive it the more reliable it goes. While the standard Evora IPS is not exactly a rocket, it always looks awesome and will never go out of fashion. The base 718 doesn’t have the balls or the look to talk about, but probably assembled better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts